Author Topic: Siera Trek 2008  (Read 1077 times)

rlwjaw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Siera Trek 2008
« on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
I got this email from Don Spuhler just a little while ago.
Sierra Trek 2008

Having Sierra Trek 2007 canceled had a good and bad effect on the overall event.  The bad parts, the overall disappointment of not doing an event that everybody looks forward to for a full year and four wheeling on one of the best trails in the state.  The loss to the budget of CA4WDC where the funds are used to fight land closures was also one of the bad points.  The good part of the cancellation is that it presented an opportunity to refresh the event with some changes.

With Sierra Trek 2008 there will be some changes made, base camp is moving, and the number of trails, days, and meals will be reduced.  To encourage more people to attend the price to participants will also be reduced.

Days for Sierra Trek
Sierra Trek is going to a two day event, Friday and Saturday, with camping through Sunday noon.  The elimination of Thursday will save CA4WDC money and volunteers.  This will also make it easier for anybody who has limited time off or other commitment to schedule personal time better.

Costs and meals
For the two days of the event in camp meals will be limited to breakfast and dinners.  Participants will have to plan on their own meals or snacks for on the trail or for those in camp during lunch time the option is supplying your own lunch or checking out the snack bar.  Most people that have done the trail remember the many different trail lunches that have been tried most with no success so this year trail participants will have to supply their own trail lunch/snacks.  The reduce meals and days will help control costs to participants so that more people can afford to attend the event. 

Base Camp
The new location for the base camp will be the Cisco Grove Campground on I-80, which has many advantages over Meadow Lake such as easy access, power and water at all campsites and real bathrooms with showers sinks and toilets. 
The campground is bicycle and ATV friendly, in fact for ATVs there are trails from the campground right out to the forest service roads so participants can bring their other toys and enjoy them also. 

The road into Meadow Lake has caused many problems such as the damage done to trek equipment and participants vehicles, motor homes and trailers and the amount of time required to get into and out of Meadow Lake.  The easy access to Cisco Grove will eliminate damage to vehicles and equipment and reduce travel time.  A bonus is not following the slow moving vehicles out on the rough dusty road.

The new location has power available not only at the campsites but at the pavilion we will use for meals and the open area that the vendors will be located in  so a generator will not be needed and with paved roads the water truck can also be eliminated reducing operating costs.

There are many other reasons Cisco Grove Campground was chosen  but as can be seen from the few examples above the new location will be easier to access eliminate damage to equipment, reduce some of the logistical problems of moving equipment in and out and reduce operating costs.

Trails and Number of Days
One change for Sierra Trek that was discussed was to run the trail backwards, from Meadow Lake to Indian Springs.  After meeting with the trail coordinator it was decided to run the trail in the normal direction, with the possibility of doing a reverse trip next year.  Trips that have been eliminated include all Thursday trips since Sierra Trek was reduced to Friday and Saturday only, and Star Trek.  An SUV and intermediate trail are planned for Saturday.  With the new base camp location being one mile from the start of the short wheel base trail staging will be done in camp.  Now people will not have to drive around to staging the night before or early in the morning which can be a chilling ride. The drive will still have to be done, it will just after the main trail.

With the above changes Sierra Trek will continue to be an outstanding event with a fresh look and feel while still maintaining the original premises of the event, a fundraiser for CA4WDC

Plan on attending Sierra Trek 2008 to be held on the second weekend of August and give the new format a try.

David Douglas
Sierra Trek 2008
Chairman

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Siera Trek 2008
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »
So how big of a change in pricing are we looking at?

roughly...

I know friends of mine went a few years back and it sounded a bit pricey.

Just curious, thanks.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

rlwjaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Siera Trek 2008
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »
All I know for sure is what is in the email.