Author Topic: First & last order from Trail Gear  (Read 6056 times)

awhotrods

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 154
  • Male Posts: 1,203
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
First & last order from Trail Gear
« on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »
I didn't want to do it, but needed some 5150 Bilstien Shocks ASAP.  Marlin didn't have them & Trail Gear did, so I placed the order for 14" travel shocks with 14" hoops.  Welded on the hoops this morning & the shocks are WAYYY to long to fit.  So I called back, and was told I would have to pay shipping both ways & pay a 20% restocking fee!  As I heard all this BS I was thinking, "this is why I buy all my parts from Marlin!"  I've seen quite a few posts about Trail Gear but never chimed in, well this is my first & last order with them!  :pokinit:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: First & last order from Trail Gear
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »
I called back, and was told I would have to pay shipping both ways & pay a 20% restocking fee!

and that is how they supposedly have better prices than marlin...
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »
What did the extension/compression eye to eye measure out to?
Were they infact 14" travel shocks or 16" travel shocks?
Not to say you didn't do it right, but maybe your shock hoops weren't set high enough?

I do not endorse the purchase of TG products.

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:29:20 AM »
Fully extended right at 30".  The shocks I received are 35" at full extension.

What did the extension/compression eye to eye measure out to?
Were they infact 14" travel shocks or 16" travel shocks?
Not to say you didn't do it right, but maybe your shock hoops weren't set high enough?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:31:08 AM »
Fully extended right at 30".  The shocks I received are 35" at full extension.

What about the compression?

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2007, 11:58:48 AM »
Don't have the compressed #'s.   At work now.

x2

[/quote]

UKMyers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 188
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »
Straight off their website man 14" Stroke 34.90" Extended Length 20.75" Collapsed Length

They don't sell anything  bigger. You got exactly what you ordered. I run parts from both companies on my rig and it's really really getting old having people start bashing threads on one another. If you have an issue call the vendor and work it out with them rather than posting it for all to see. Damn near every company you order something from online is gonna charge you a restocking fee to send it back. Suck it up and order the right parts next time.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2007, 12:47:13 PM »

:thumbs:  I don't care if you got what you wanted and a shiny gold debloon, I just plain don't endorse them period.  And that's not bashing.

This thread will be locked in 3....... 2......
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:33:07 AM »
i don't see what the problem is. u ordered a product, they sent you the right product, the product you ordered didn't fit, and now you expect them to pay for a problem you created not them. sure many people don't like trail gear but this is a pretty standard practice.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2007, 07:36:19 AM »
i don't see what the problem is. u ordered a product, they sent you the right product, the product you ordered didn't fit, and now you expect them to pay for a problem you created not them. sure many people don't like trail gear but this is a pretty standard practice.
x2 ::)
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »
i started to lock this  but i  kinda want to see  who's in bed with trailgear :popcorn:

the problem doesnt seem to be the shocks  but the hoops
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »

the problem doesnt seem to be the shocks  but the hoops

Ding, ding, ding we have a wiener. TG didn't make the shock, they made the hoop, now once he welded them on he can't just take those back off. So he's trying to substitute a lesser shock to compensate for TG's mistake. You'd think they'd work with you on this one. :shake:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:28:39 AM »

Ding, ding, ding we have a wiener. TG didn't make the shock, they made the hoop, now once he welded them on he can't just take those back off. So he's trying to substitute a lesser shock to compensate for TG's mistake. You'd think they'd work with you on this one. :shake:
:yesnod:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »
is the problem the hoop or the length of the shock? i thought the problem was the shocks are too long? why  would he weld shock hoops on with out checking the distance? I know i dont just start welding stuff on my truck without measuring first. awhotrods, what were your compression/droop distances that you measured before you ordered the shocks? how did you determine you needed 14 inch shocks?
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2007, 08:40:56 AM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

phi564

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawlin in KY
    • View Profile
    • high clearance offroad
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:50:14 AM »
once you weld something on your truck its yours.  i dont care who makes it.  if you can't take the time to test fit or measure to make sure it's going to fit the way you want it, then its your own fault.  20% restocking is common, if you look on the bottom of a marlin invoice you will see this "The above components have been assembled and machined for specific types of conversions.  Modifications void all possable returns or warranty.  10% restock fee on all returns. etc."  And for any company to cover your shipping would be pretty rare.

i hope everything works out for you, but next time you have a problem maybe you should resolve it between the company and yourself.
01 Dodge 2500 Cummins dd/ tow rig
'90 toyota w/ 4.3 on propane/th350/toy duels
fj80 axles, 39" BFG krawlers, psc full hydro, 4.10's, detroit front, welderd rear

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2007, 11:46:46 AM »
"When building a flexible suspension it is important to have plenty of shock travel. Stock length shocks simply won't travel far enough to keep up with our flexible springs. We recommend shocks with 12"-14" of travel. Our tall hoops will accommodate 14" Bilstein Shocks and require the inner fender to be cut and shocks installed with the top above the inner fender.. Our Medium Hoops will accommodate 12" shocks without cutting the inner fenders. Weld on installation." - www.trail-gear.com

Did you verify that you actually got 14 inch hoops instead of the 12 inch hoops?

Are the hoops located per their directions?

Is the shock lower mount stock?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »
I don't think the hoops were welded in the correct place, or maybe they did not cut out the fender which would make it so the hoops sat higher rather than angled out.

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »
on my 84 with trail gears front 5" kit i used 14" shocks and have no issues. i did have to cut the fenders to accomodate the hoops. i have had good luck with trail gear as far as cust service goes. they have blotched up a few things but they have always fixed anything and then went above and beyond and gave me free stuff. i have also ordered alot of stuff from marlin and i have not once had a problem with any order or part. theres certain things i would just rather order from marlin and certain things that i like from trail gear. not to mention front range off road and skys mfg. if you have issues with that vender leave it with that vender and keep that between you and them, if you want to vent go call them and raise hell.... bottom line is you got what you ordered.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2007, 12:35:43 AM »
 you welded on the hoops wrong and thats all there is too it.  Measure twice, weld once

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »
I don't think anybody can say the hoops are welded on wrong without actually SEEING them first :shake:  That's presumtuous and ignorant.  I'm not saying he did it right, but at this point nobody but him knows.

Even if they sent the wrong size hoops, you're still not 100% at fault for welding them on already.  We've ALL jumped the gun at some point on an install and missed something, and if this is the case then he probably just ASSUMED he got what he ordered and went on with the install.

Post up pics so we can see.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »
...and he might not even know. Which is why he posted here for help. 

Pics would make a big difference...

'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »
I wouldnt of bought bilsteins to begin with i would have gone with 15inch bbcs shocks from poly performance If you gone that route you wouldnt have this problem
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 15, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »
I wouldnt of bought bilsteins to begin with i would have gone with 15inch bbcs shocks from poly performance If you gone that route you wouldnt have this problem
that makes no sense at all...
RIP KYOTA

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »
 :worthless:

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:13:31 PM »

Did you even read the thread?  The shocks aren't even the problem   :shake:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2007, 08:21:35 PM »
Did you even read the thread?  The shocks aren't even the problem   :shake:
i dont think he did...the original complaint was that 14 inchers were TOO long and he is suggesting 15 inchers...this thread is getting dumb...the OP hasnt even been back since the thread was started
RIP KYOTA

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

awhotrods [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »
OK, this is the 4th rig I have built.  I know what parts work together & where to weld on a shock hoop.  You could argue all day long about who's fault it is, but bottom line is: 

THIS IS A CUSTOMER SERVICE ISSUE

I am used to dealing with a fair, and reputable company (Marlin Crawler) for the past few years and was surprised to deal with a company that didn't care whether or not it lost a customer. 

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
i dont get it? if you have built 4 rigs then why did you order the wrong size shocks? maybe im missing something
RIP KYOTA

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 16, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »
I have had great luck with TG and Marlin both.  I installed the 14" bilsteins and tall shock hoops on my rig, and the fit is perfect.  You just have to weld the hoop at the top of the frame rail, an a little angled back.  Very happy with the way they fit.  I dont think its the customer service that is the problem here. No offense or anything...