Author Topic: help me with my hydro assist please!!  (Read 10890 times)

sof'indetermined

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: help me with my hydro assist please!!
« Reply #30 on: Sep 03, 2007, 04:06:06 PM »
ok well restrictor is drilled. no improvement still. im pulling the box off tonight.
83 yota that wheels
04 wrx wagon that hauls butt
assorted crap that mostly doesnt do anything

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
i noticed the fitting on the top of the box was sticking up a little bit so i pulled it out. on the directions to drill it it says to drill the hole to the bottom of the vein but this one is not. you can clearly see the vein but the hole stops there. in the directions it says to do this so you get the fitting in well enough but do you think that maybe it wont flow enough fluid cause the opening to the fiting would be smaller in my box then in one that was drilled all the way down?? just a thought
83 yota that wheels

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »
It sounds like to me that something is wrong in the box. When it was put back together one of the Teflon seals was cut or nicked. It is very easy to do and it will effect the power assist when turning one way or the other.

Are you sure the ram is good? Last time I was at JV my ram went out. It would turn fine to the left but would not turn to the right. The seal on the piston in the ram held fine when turning to the left but the fluid would leak pasted on right turns and it would not work. I would plug the fittings for the hoses going to the ram and see if it steers right without the ram connected.

if i move the steering wheel back and forth 5 or 6 times the ram ends up completely extended, not in the middle where it started.

For some reason that is the way they work, you have to take the steering all the way to lock before it will extend or collapse, then it does it all at once.

i can also physically grab the ram and close it with the truck running which i also do not think is right but again I'm not sure.

That does not sound right to me either.

does the whole thing need to be airtight now cause the cap to the reservoir is not sealed. should it be??

No, it has to breath.

. i know the thing you drill out ( in the box where the line hooks up to) has something to do with the ram keeping up with the steering and maybe it was not drilled out properly

I have never drilled anything out in the box, but I have drilled out the restricter on the high pressure side of the pump.

i am pretty sure i got all the air out first off. no more comes out the bleeder. if there is another way i should be doing this that may help but i just moved the wheel back and forth then cracked the bleeder kinda like brake calipers over and over til just fluid came out. ok so now my problem

Is your reservoir the highest part of the system?

When you bled the system did you have the ram loose from the steering, hanging with the fittings pointed up and the ram level? That is the only way you will get all the air out of the
ram and system.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:09:30 PM »
i noticed the fitting on the top of the box was sticking up a little bit so i pulled it out. on the directions to drill it it says to drill the hole to the bottom of the vein but this one is not. you can clearly see the vein but the hole stops there. in the directions it says to do this so you get the fitting in well enough but do you think that maybe it wont flow enough fluid cause the opening to the fiting would be smaller in my box then in one that was drilled all the way down?? just a thought
take some pictures if you can
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »
take some pictures if you can

:worthless:

Pictures detailing the box and plumbing would help us better figure this out.

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »
Is this the hole you are talking about? You do not want to drill thru the vein. But if the tap was tapped to far in the fitting will go in to far down and the vein can restrict the flow. If you drill all the way thru the vein, the box is junk. Pipe threads are tapered and if you tap all the way to the end of the tap the threads may allow the fitting to go in to far before it starts to get tight allowing it to leak or bottom on the other side.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sep 03, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »
i cant take pics. my girlfriends parents have our digital camera so im kinda stuck there. yes the resavoir is the highest point of the system. i meant to say pump where i said steering box on the thing you drill out. i did that already. if one of the seals were cut would the truck steer any different without the ram. it seems to me that something like that would do weird stuff while the ram is off too but i only have issues with the ram hooked up.
           yes oops that is the hole i am talking about. the one on the left is like mine if it matters. the hole goes right to the passageway there and i can see it clearly. it is not drilled all the way through the passageway just far enough i can see the passageway. i was asking if the hole for the fitting was supposed to be the bottom of the passageway or if it was ok at the top?? it sealed just fine i just thought if it was drilled all the way to the bottom of the passageway it would flow better and i think that is how it was supposed to be done anyways. is this not making sense? sorry no pics.
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 03, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »
so i drove the truck around the block. the ram is still connected in the system but not bolted up. it did bind a little bit like this while driving so im pretty sure there is something wrong with the box. im done messing with it for today. tomorrow i will unhook the ram from the system just to be sure its the box but i think something is wrong inside there.
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 04, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
 :headscratch:  im pretty confused. i think i must have a bad ram or something. i unhooked the ram and pluged the holes in the box and now it works great. no issues at all. i drove around for probably 15 min. and it worked excellent. i think im doomed to not haveing HA on my truck
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 04, 2007, 02:00:41 PM »
well im probably gonna leave it like this thru the weekend so i can go wheeling but does anyone have any advice as to where to go from here?? anybody know a good way to aquire a 6 in. ram for cheap so i can eliminate the ram being bad as my problem?
83 yota that wheels

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 04, 2007, 10:57:05 PM »
well im probably gonna leave it like this thru the weekend so i can go wheeling but does anyone have any advice as to where to go from here?? anybody know a good way to aquire a 6 in. ram for cheap so i can eliminate the ram being bad as my problem?
I don't know where you are, but is there a hydraulic shop (or CAT dealer) near you? if so, they should be able to test the ram.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
I don't know where you are, but is there a hydraulic shop (or CAT dealer) near you? if so, they should be able to test the ram.
You can test the ram yourself if you have an air source. Take the air nozzle and put it on one port, feed air in until the ram is all the way in or out and listen at the other port for air escaping, do the same on the other port. If you hear air escaping the seal on the piston inside the ram is bad. This is how we tested mine at JV and it sealed fine for turning left, but leaked like crazy when turning right.

Rockstomper or a local hydraulic shop may be able to source you a seal. In my case the piston was worn out making the cylinder junk.

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sep 05, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »
just curious if you tried bypassing your cooler? I'm sure everyone that has replied to your thread knows more then me. But, wouldn't a restricted cooler have some effects as well.
I myself am using T.G. assist with a cooler I got out of a Chevy. My reservoir I made out of two stock ones. Cut the top off the bottom one and the bottom off the top one and welded them together. Works for me. I have yet to drill out that restrict-or in my pump. It is a little slow but, It's does okay. another thing to consider is the other port drilled on the side of the gear box. If it is tapped to deep...you may be restricting the flow..because now that fitting will be to close to the shaft. I didn't drill mine on the Toyoda name. I opt for the side...so that i didn't have to hack my radiator support.
here is the pic I am talking about.

and here is a link to how I did mine.
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album109?page=1
Good luck,
Mike

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sep 05, 2007, 02:19:59 PM »
it does sound like a bad ram or that fitting bottoming out in the vein. if the fitting is bottomed out you might be able to use teflon tape and a jam nut or washer to keep it tight while not bottoming it out. anyways let us know what happens. im really looking fwd to get my hydro on!

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Sep 05, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »
first off i appreciate all the help again. 2nd i will test the ram tomorow when i have some light now that i know how. i left my cooler on for right now and the system seems to work great. its only when i hook up the ram so ive narrowed it down to bad ram or insufficient flow. i did drill mine in the toyoda thing  (only had to hack the rad support a tiny bit, it was tweaked anyways so not like im trying to keep it perfect or anything) im 99 percent sure that one is ok.  if the ram turns out good i think its the one in the top of the box. i also got suspicious when i put the plug in it didnt want to seal until i made it good and tight   i know that hole wasnt drilled as deep as its supposed to be  it was only drilled just barely enough to get fluid moving through there so if the rams good the box is coming off and ill re drill that hole. and thats a really good idea putting another nut on there with some teflon tape cause if i can get it to seal a little farther back away from the passageway it will flow better and if the ram works better... then ill have figured it out. ill keep you updated guys. thanx again.
83 yota that wheels

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:58:27 PM »
any update?

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sep 09, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
yea, thats actually a better idea than a washer. id still use a littl;e teflon tape though

hulk240

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:07:14 PM »
Your hose are mounted backwards.  The top hose always goes to the passenger side no matter which way you mount the ram.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sep 10, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
Your hose are mounted backwards.  The top hose always goes to the passenger side no matter which way you mount the ram.
uhhh how can you tell that? there was never a picture posted of his set up. Even the one pic that was posted here by mmstoy does not show the ram :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:55:25 PM »
he must be talking about the other guy's setup

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:54:50 PM »
ha ha i never posted a pic of my setup.  :slap:  sorry no update. i went wheeling last sunday. it was an ok trip. saw these 2 SICK 80 something land cruisers (turbo diesel) from venazuela. really cool guys too. SICK lc's! i didnt get my digi cam back til yesterday so no pics dang it.  :smack:  anyways... steering worked great with no ram hooked up. to be honest i kinda put that on the backburner. ive been tossing around the idea of taking my 22r out and dropping this smallblock ive got into it. i bought it for a killer deal and the thing runs like no smallblock ive ever heard so i bought it for 200 bucks like 6 months ago cause this old guy bought this truck just for the cab and just wanted everything else gone. just finally looked up the numbers and it turns out ive got a 327. well i ran into this guy who wanted some stuff i had laying around so i scored a th350 bolted to a yota t case for a good deal. so now my truck is motor/tranny/tcaseless and the smallblock is going in. i think ill give the ram another shot after i get the truck back together.
83 yota that wheels

sof'indetermined [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sep 14, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »
ok so just so i felt better i went and checked to make sure i had it hooked up right and i did. made me doubt myself so i went and looked.
83 yota that wheels

subliminaltrips

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sep 15, 2007, 09:25:38 AM »
sounds like fun! let us know if you ever figure it out.