Author Topic: do cops not have anything better to do???  (Read 4945 times)

yotamckimboy4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -177
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
do cops not have anything better to do???
« on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:29:20 AM »
so im driving home from my girlfriends house tonite at like 1140 ans i pass this cop sittin on the side of the road and he pulls me over. he gets to my window and in the mist of him tellin meall this garbage he gives me a list of things wrongwith my truck so heres the list, he says my bumpers are too high, my rear license plate is to high, mirror to muddy,front license plate not visable enough, blinkers not bright enough, no front mud flaps and no fender flares!!! do they not have nething better to do at this time of night than pull people over for dumb :pokinit:?
"We ride together, We die together, YOTABOYS FOR LIFE"    85 toy pickup 5 inch springs 2inch body lift, 36" IROKS, custom front bumper
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: do cops not have anything better to do???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:52:53 AM »
Sounds like the local donut shop was closed  :dunno:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »

my record on what was literally a midnight donut run was 9 cops at the shop............
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »

must have been!!!
"We ride together, We die together, YOTABOYS FOR LIFE"    85 toy pickup 5 inch springs 2inch body lift, 36" IROKS, custom front bumper
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
so im driving home from my girlfriends house tonite at like 1140 ans i pass this cop sittin on the side of the road and he pulls me over. he gets to my window and in the mist of him tellin meall this garbage he gives me a list of things wrongwith my truck so heres the list, he says my bumpers are too high, my rear license plate is to high, mirror to muddy,front license plate not visable enough, blinkers not bright enough, no front mud flaps and no fender flares!!! do they not have nething better to do at this time of night than pull people over for dumb :pokinit:?

Did you get a ticket or just a sermon? I'd like to see the testing standards for blinker brightness and acceptable mud coverage on mirrors.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »
Did you get a ticket or just a sermon? I'd like to see the testing standards for blinker brightness and acceptable mud coverage on mirrors.

no he gave me my 3rd warning and gave me a little pamphlet on everything and it says that the bumper hieght for teh rear is 28 inches from the ground!!! lol i dont have a rear bumper!!!
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

tom w.

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 760
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:48:50 AM »
i dont have a rear bumper!!!

Speaking of, do you have to have a rear bumper? I ran around without one for a while, and though I didn't get hassled, I always kind of expected it.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
no he gave me my 3rd warning and gave me a little pamphlet on everything and it says that the bumper hieght for teh rear is 28 inches from the ground!!! lol i dont have a rear bumper!!!

Knock on wood, I haven't gotten any tickets or warnings. I've had a motorcycle cop drive up between lanes to tell me I need mud flaps...but, since I didn't have a bed at the time I understood.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2007, 11:15:43 AM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »
if your truck was illegal, fix it... having a mirror inoperable because it is covered in mud is just like not having it..

some vehicles were not equipped with rear bumpers, and that is legal
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »
Ive been pulled over for no doors, Aint that some :pokinit:! Also a friend had a crooked front licences plate, got pulled over. Most states you dont even need one. Ya, I live in a small town and we got some punk cops.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:18:49 AM »
his wife was probably on the rag and he had to take it out on someone else. LOL
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
here in ca you will get tagged for no front plate... if it was issued, you must have one, and it must be securely attached

at least here, you wont get tagged for no doors... well, there is no law that syas you need doors, if a cop tags you for it, ask him to see what section says it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
ok heres the deal it wasnt that muddy, i could see out of it just fine, so i dont know wat your talkin bout "fix it" i could see just fine out of it
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »
yea I hate asshat cops like this. when I had my 88' they pulled me over because the winterfresh tree hanging from my rearview mirror was "obstructing my view"

I started laughing and he got really pissed off stating that it wasn't a joke   :shake:

I got the whole mudflap/fender flare, brightness of taillight ect as well.

Funny thing is.. the tail lights were brand new and BRIGHT AS F'  because I had busted them out on the trail a week before hand so they got replaced.

They gave me this huge fix-it ticket.. I slapped some mudflats on, took the tree out of the window and called it good.

When I took the ticket over to get the truck surveyed the guy looked outside of the building at my truck that was a good 75ft away and said "Is that your truck over there?"

I said "yup.."

He said "Alright your good" and signed it off... lol
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »
lol damn shamb they attacked you like they attacked me
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
I know for big rigs, you can get a ticket for dirty tail lights/brakes lights. Same if your mirror is hazy or muddy. Your truck is a commercial truck so maybe the law applies  :dunno:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

yotamckimboy4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
i will have to grab the booklet later that the cop gave me and snap a pic of it and show yall all the :pokinit:
"HOLD ON TIGHT"

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »
Jimbo74,

You see is the guy that pulled my friend over was well known to pick his prey and I'm thinking that my friend was one of them.Just a jerk, because the licence plate was still there, (was just crooked). I'm not saying all cops are bad, Ive met a few good ones, but this guy just got picked on to much as a kid! So jimbo74, are you just up to snuff on your dos and donts, or are you a cop of some sort, just wondering?
 :dunno:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:43:17 PM »
Ive been pulled over for no doors, Aint that some :pokinit:! Also a friend had a crooked front licences plate, got pulled over. Most states you dont even need one. Ya, I live in a small town and we got some punk cops.
Who says Ca is all that bad? you can ride around with no doors all day long and not be bothered.  There isn't even laws against not having glass in your rig even a windshield! but I think we all know how practical that is... :headshake:.

here in ca you will get tagged for no front plate... if it was issued, you must have one, and it must be securely attached

there is no law that syas you need doors, if a cop tags you for it, ask him to see what section says it
they always issue two plates unless it's for a trailer. But there's no gaurantee of getting stopped for no plate in the front. It's known as a secondary offense or probable cause meaning that if they stop you for something else and then they wanna hassle you for it they will, unless you're totally asking for it some other way... :whistle:

As far as securement, it can be sitting on the dash, as long as it's in plain view from the front of the vehicle or unless (few exceptions here) there was no front lic. plate mounting provision as the vehicle was built from the factory.  :yesnod:

Also, anytime you're cited for anything the VC must be written on the citation for it to be a legit citation or you'll win in court if you decide to fight it.

Use lots of caution if you're to argue something with the citing officer though... be sure youre damn right!  Otherwise don't be afraid to call him on it. I've done this many times and saved myself the hassle of even dealing with the ticket when I probably wouldn't have paid a dime anyhow. That's not to say I wasn't a little nervous in doing it just very careful to still be polite through it all.  :nerv:  :cheese:  :gap:

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
Ill be sure to remember that all, thanks for the information! :thumbs:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:35:51 PM »
As far as securement, it can be sitting on the dash, as long as it's in plain view from the front of the vehicle or unless (few exceptions here) there was no front lic. plate mounting provision as the vehicle was built from the factory. 

Wrong... and/or the cop blew sh*t up my  :moon:

My 99 Chevy Tahoe came from the dealer with NO front lic. Plate nor did it even have a spot to put one on. I still got a $50 ticket while it was parked infront of my house. ALSO my truck was literally 2" from my wifes rear bumper so they must have looked hard to see that there was no lic. plate because it was definently not in plain view.

I spoke with a local cop that I know and he said it doesn't matter if it did or didn't come with one.. you need to have a front lic. plate no if's and's or but's.

No clue why, i'd guess so they have easy access to running your plates?  ... stupid.

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
I spoke with a local cop that I know and he said it doesn't matter if it did or didn't come with one.. you need to have a front lic. plate no if's and's or but's.

No clue why, i'd guess so they have easy access to running your plates?  ... stupid.

I think it cause of these new red light cameras. The camera takes a pic of your vehicle front, the driver & the rear.

87 4Runner redo

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:43:40 PM »
Wrong... and/or the cop blew sh*t up my  :moon:

:dunno: Drove around for a lot of years in my 78 Chevy with mine on the dash with no hassles whatsoever.  Since I got my new plates I have since mounted it and that was only 5 yrs ago.  :headscratch: Guess that's up to the cop and what kinda crap he's willing to feed you, since they think we'll take their word for it no matter what. Oh well.  :down:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:49:19 PM »
I think it cause of these new red light cameras. The camera takes a pic of your vehicle front, the driver & the rear.

I've heard it was so a vehicle's Identity couldn't be obscured by backing into a space or so it could be easily identified from an intersction on an adjacent street since that's the most likely angle it would be viewed from for a front license plate, especially if they happen to be looking for that vehicle. That's why, at least, in plain sight. How true?  :dunno:

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:00:32 PM »
i got pulled over one late night for a "dirty plate"

to bad i washed my truck 6 hours befor

what a $%^$&$#%$@%$
4THEWKN

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:23:36 PM »

I thought of this as well but really they can't make that arguement because as you stated.. it takes pictures of all sides of the vehicle. So even if you do not have a lic plate in the front they're still going to get a picture of the one on the back. Along with a shot of your mug sitting in the driver seat.

I tried the plate in the windshield, thats actually where I had the plate before I got the ticket. Apparently that wasn't viseable enough?!  or they were just being a jackass... never the less.. it is now mounted on the front bumper in plain view.

If it wasn't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all!

Funny story,
The other day I was fixing a cop's telephone service at his home. He worked for the local PD and when his wife came home she was asking me what the problem was with their phone. I explained (along with her husband)  that the problem was with the internal phone wiring in the home. She responded with "That sucks!  So this is visit is gonna cost us??"  I replied "well someone's gotta pay my seatbelt ticket!"  he asked me who it was that gave me the ticket and when I told him he just said "ah yea that f'r doesn't have anything better to do!"

I didn't charge them for the visit though because i'm a nice guy :shake: 

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »

I got no doors, no hood, top off - and the cops wave to me and ask me about my truck when they talk to me.  I don't even have mirrors.  Rear-view was busted by a friends head while on Rubicon, and side mirrors are on the doors, in the garage.  ;)

Ya'll ain't got long hair and look all crazy or something, right?  When I was younger and wilder, I would get messed with, by the same PD.  Now that I'm older and cleancut - no more trouble.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:25:41 PM »
I can drive around with no doors all day, my truck covered in mud, and license plates obscured by mud (I did this for about a month and a half, but I did have doors on). As long as my headlights are clean I can do just about whatever I want. I have never seen anyone get a ticket for it where I live. The jeeps do it, so why can't I? Also, front and rear plates are required where I live. My friend lost his front licence plate after hitting a trashcan, and drove around with it like that for close to a year. In that time period, he got in a wreck, and the officer said nothing, he got pulled over by the highway patrol, and they said nothing, and he got pulled over for speeding, and the policeman said nothing! Either he is really lucky or the law enforcement officers just don't care.

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:55:08 PM »
There are laws in Cali that require a front windshield and doors...just because you got away with it does not mean it isn't there. As for doors you must have a min. of a 2" lip at the door sill in order to run without them (jeeps get away with it cuz of the large lip they have) yes in Cali you must have a front plate...new cars don't have plates on them so you have to install them and there are laws as to max height from the ground and visability. Same goes for mud on mirrors and windows, it is considered view obstruction and is left up to the officers discression. you can even get a ticket for mud on the body of the truck if a cop sees it fall off! There are so many vehicle codes it is just sad they even have some that contradict others. It sucks somtimes but them the breaks.....

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2007, 08:00:35 PM »
I am SO glad I do not live in California, just because of all the dumb laws and all the dumb greenies.  :yesnod: