Author Topic: aftermarket vendors for 02 durango 2wd  (Read 2242 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
aftermarket vendors for 02 durango 2wd
« on: Aug 19, 2007, 03:24:41 AM »
ok here is the deal, the wifes car has some issues, i need to fix them. where is a good cheap place to look online? you guys have firsthand experience?

i need brakes, pads and rotors, we got some from a company called ssbc that is advertised in all the custom car magazines, and is supposed to be a good company, but hte rotors after only a year have pretty noticeable cracks in them...
i was thinking about brembo oem blanks from tirerack? what pads? my wife doesnt drive as aggressively as she used to, but my kid is in the car a lot, and its a durango, so its heavy with a 4.7 v8

its a 2wd 2002 dodge durango [sport?] i think, not sure on model designation, but it does not have foldable/breakaway mirrors... its currently running 31x10.5x15s

a rock penetrated the a/c condensor, i imagine coolant leaked out, as it looked like smoke and there was hissing, spraying that i verified where the hole was. we need to replace it, new, oem, used? where? --- i am assuming since its an 02 it uses r134a, readily available @ vatozone, etc.... can i jsut replace the condenser and throw a can of a/c oil, and fill it up with r134a in a can? how much would i need?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: aftermarket vendors for 02 durango 2wd
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2007, 04:02:38 AM »
just looked up autozone and napa, looks liek the cost of the condenser is about $200-$250

autozone had this:

Note:
 OE condenser is a parallel flow design. replace unit following catastrophic compressor failure do not attempt to flush and reuse.

what does that mean?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2007, 04:10:13 AM »
Note:
 OE condenser is a parallel flow design. replace unit following catastrophic compressor failure do not attempt to flush and reuse.

what does that mean?

That means if the A/C compressor came apart & metal went through your A/C system, you HAVE to replace the condensor. You should replace the reciever dyrer (desicant is another name) since now it is open to moisture. You can not just put on these parts & fill it with freon. You will have to use a vacuum pump & put the system in a vacuum, then charge it. I think Harbor Freight sells the pump for around $400.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2007, 04:30:00 AM »
That means if the A/C compressor came apart & metal went through your A/C system, you HAVE to replace the condensor. You should replace the reciever dyrer (desicant is another name) since now it is open to moisture. You can not just put on these parts & fill it with freon. You will have to use a vacuum pump & put the system in a vacuum, then charge it. I think Harbor Freight sells the pump for around $400.

its an 02, so it isnt using freon (r12) anymore or were you refering to freon as refrigernat? i am sure it uses r134a as refrigerant

receiver dryer? is this the evaporator? im lost there are sooo many parts....

what are we looking at pricewise if i were to have the stealer do this?

would i be ok if i replaced the dryer and the condenser myself then took it to the dealership?

should this even be attempted by a DIYer

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:00:34 AM »

its an 02, so it isnt using freon (r12) anymore or were you refering to freon as refrigernat? i am sure it uses r134a as refrigerant

R-12, R-134a, R-22 are all freons.

receiver dryer? is this the evaporator? im lost there are sooo many parts....

Receiver dryer is the filter. Another name is a desicant. It must be replaced any time the system is open to the atmosphere. It isn't the evaporator.

what are we looking at pricewise if i were to have the stealer do this?

:bling:

would i be ok if i replaced the dryer and the condenser myself then took it to the dealership?

should this even be attempted by a DIYer

You have to lube the o-rings with refrigerant oil & use a little bit of anti-seize on the threads. Then take to a shop, doesn't have to be the dealer.

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
the refrigerant oil is jsut the standard stuff they sell at kragens right? the stuff you are supposed to inject into the system? is this safe for me to be putting on my hand as i lube the o rings? m good on antiseize..... haha, carlos, want to come over and help me? this isnt immediate, but soon... researching now

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:14:12 AM »
You still living in Fremont? I have a friend that owns a shop local here.

87 4Runner redo

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:23:56 AM »
You still living in Fremont? I have a friend that owns a shop local here.

yeah, im back and forth..... i am up here during the week for work, then gone on the weekends

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »
ok, looks liek the drier is liek $30 not too bad, i htought it was going to be $$$ like the condenser

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »
I have really poked around in here much be here is a link. Maybe there is something about the brake rotors there  :dunno:

http://www.dodgeforum.com/

87 4Runner redo

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:38:35 AM »
yeah i saw that last night, it doesnt seem to be an enthusiast site... looks more like an ad.... ill poke around a little bit more though....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
ok not as bad as it looks once you get through all the spam.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 28, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
so we finally got the a/c done..... just replaced the condensor and had the system professionally evacuated and filled by grant @ b&m radiator in fremont per tallchevy's suggestion to me.....

grant said we didnt need the dryer... which is good... my wife bought it and lsot it sometime... oh well.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~