Author Topic: 02 dodge durango cel  (Read 5141 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
02 dodge durango cel
« on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:31:35 PM »
this is the only site i can access via my cell, and obd2 codes are pretty generic. dodge durango 2002 4.7 auto 2wd sport. cel p0440 - egr malfunction related, i have a cheapy scanner and code book. where do i start testing or replace? ALSO, not sure if related, vehicle randomly stalls out. when starting, seems to have some hesitation that didnt seem to be there before. spark plugs good, no wires, coil on plugs, new battery, running royal purple oil if it matters
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 02 dodge durango cel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
can anyone help us out? if it were my truck, i wouldn't care, but this is my wife's truck, and she takes our daughter around too.

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
TPS, I've had issues with my TPS. You wouldn't believe the things the TPS will cause to happen. It was causing my trans to shift erratically and at times I thought that the trans was failing. Turns out to have been the TPS. Stupid computer doesn't know what to do when the TPS isn't sending the correct info.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
uh oh... now that you mention it, my wife did say something about its shifting wierd on her sometimes... hmmmm.... is there a home test for it? or just replace or look into it some more? i may try to see if i can reflash the computer, from dodgeforum, i met a guy that is a tech @ a semi close dodge dealership. he reflashed my FIL's dakota for free using the $4000 drb3 scanner and ridded his truck of the cel P0601 and updated his computer

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:13:50 PM »
Lot of good info here, this is where I figured out it may be my TPS, it seems it tells the computer what input you are giving the throttle and the computer then decides what needs to be done. If the TPS is malfunctioning it can create a bunch of issues that seems like something else is wrong but it is just the TPS screwing up.

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_71933.html

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
i have a fsm from an 01 dakota on cd i got from one of the guys on that forum, so i will try to look into the tps more. i will have to look @ that link when i have access to a pc again. my cellphone, wont open links (rather they don't even show up as links) and this board is the only board i belong to that opens on my cell, the rest say the application is too large or something like that. rocksurfer, thanks for the info! did you replace your tps? or what did you do? i think it's pretty easy right? or is there a tweak to it like the toyotas? also, i think you have the 360 right? we have the 4.7

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »
TPS is on the side of the throttle body, it is an easy, quick and cheap fix. Your TPS is actually the same one that goes on mine. Two screws and it comes right off. FYI I didn't use the o-ring, I used the gasket. You'll understand what I'm referring to if you get one. I think they may have changed them later on, I have the bevel to insert the ring but just stuck with what it had.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »
thanks rocksurfer. i will ask over on dodgeforum too next time i have computer access. do you think it may be egr related? i had this code on my explorer, and it was some valve called the dpfe... did you get a P0440 on your durango?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:35:28 AM »
I didn't throw any codes at all throughout the entire time, even when the trans shifted into neutral and wouldn't move there was nothing. Had to get towed home, I checked everything then started doing some old fashioned trouble shooting and question asking on the net. That's where I found out that it just may be the TPS or the shift sensor on the trans. It seems that a lot of issues stem from the TPS since of course it is the only thing that tells the computer what you are doing.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:42:20 PM »
talked to the tech i found from dodgeforum... i was way off according to him. he said there isnt  p0440 in 02. said he wants to do a smoke test, and also read codes using the drb3. he is going to update the computer and modify the transmission computer to make the truck a 5 speed instead of a 4 speed.... and all FREE!! there are good people left in the world. i just need to mesh our schedules and take the truck to him, he is about 110 miles away, but gas is cheap compared to taking it to a local dealer 

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:33:50 AM »
well, running into more issues, now have a code P0068... and car is stalling out, frequently, also appears to be idling low, around 600 rpm... she has stopped driving it, and has taken my ranger. the d is now parked in the garage. we are taking it to the guy i found from df tomorrow

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:13:39 AM »
haven't updated this, we took it, found no codes, but a P0441. i swapped out the tps. we drove it again, still stalled out, but only once. and started right back up this time, only seems to happen if we drive at least 60 miles. problem doesn't manifest itself before that. looking at the codes, it still maybe a few other things. map, ldp, purge valve, charcoal canister, heard maybe iac.... great :/ ...... so all in all have had P0123 (right after i changed tps one time - hasn't come back since) P0440, P0068, P0441

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
forgot to mention that idle seems smoother, still around 600 rpm, however one of the moderators on dodgeforum said that is normal for the durango. oil pressure indicator still bouncing between ticks when the car freaks out, not really before

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
she just went to the garage, and said her car wont even start now! ugh! what is wrong with this thing?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
just went to the garage, cel is on. fault P0339 pending P0441 & P0339. P0339 is crank position sensor a ckt intermittent. is it possible i have all these sensors go out? or should i look elsewhere?

~ John F. Kennedy ~