Author Topic: LED rock lights???  (Read 21165 times)

12GA.YOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
LED rock lights???
« on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:26:12 AM »
I'm looking for some LED lights to run as rock lights, dose any one know of a company that sells a kit that would be good for this application? I ran a search and got confussing results but maybe its just a faulty opperator.
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: LED rock lights???
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
I've got the http://www.superbrightleds.com and they are AWESOME.

I went with their ALM-x6 6-led oval units instead of the more expensive Luxeon ones because I can get a pair of the ALM-x6 for the same price. They are very bright and only draw 0.025 Amps. I will have them all set up by the Round up :thumbs:

Regarding Round-eyes, I don't know why so many people like that company. They are over priced: They sell the Luxeon lights for $30 whereas http://www.superbrightleds.com sells the SAME EXACT THING for only $19.95!

If they were better then I could understand. Otherwise that is straight up robbery in my opinion.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
i would look for a WHITE LED neon undercar kit.

LEDs are fookin BRIGHT and they would work.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:00:28 PM »
I've got the http://www.superbrightleds.com and they are AWESOME.

I went with their ALM-x6 6-led oval units instead of the more expensive Luxeon ones because I can get a pair of the ALM-x6 for the same price. They are very bright and only draw 0.025 Amps. I will have them all set up by the Round up :thumbs:

Regarding Round-eyes, I don't know why so many people like that company. They are over priced: They sell the Luxeon lights for $30 whereas http://www.superbrightleds.com sells the SAME EXACT THING for only $19.95!

If they were better then I could understand. Otherwise that is straight up robbery in my opinion.
mike how did you wire the lights up? did you have to use any resistors or anything? I'm a dummy when it comes to wiring.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »
that link dont work  :cheese:

I don't know what that is, instead use this one:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2007, 02:09:49 PM »
so its just as simple as wiring them into the 12v system?
RIP KYOTA

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 13, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »
Yes.

And with H3 bulbs, it would be wise to use a rely if using 3 or more lights on the same (standard plastic) switch.

I ran 4 H3 halogen rock lights through a nice big KC Highlights switch, and I melted and fried the switch!

So each bulb I am using is 55 watts, or at 14 volts, that would be almost 4 amps each. I was running 4 bulbs through the same switch, so 16 Amps was too much for one switch.

Now to compare this with these little LEDs that only draw 0.0038 amps each (0.023 amps / 6 LEDs), you could run 4,210 LEDs per switch before you melt it! WOW! Your entire truck would be glowing!! And that's only on one switch and one circuit!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2007, 03:55:23 PM »
Yes.

And with H3 bulbs, it would be wise to use a rely if using 3 or more lights on the same (standard plastic) switch.

I ran 4 H3 halogen rock lights through a nice big KC Highlights switch, and I melted and fried the switch!

So each bulb I am using is 55 watts, or at 14 volts, that would be almost 4 amps each. I was running 4 bulbs through the same switch, so 16 Amps was too much for one switch.

Now to compare this with these little LEDs that only draw 0.0038 amps each (0.023 amps / 6 LEDs), you could run 4,210 LEDs per switch before you melt it! WOW! Your entire truck would be glowing!! And that's only on one switch and one circuit!!
sweet, i just ordered 4! Same ones you got...we'll see how they do
RIP KYOTA

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:10:38 PM »
Ok I just looked up superbrightleds, which is better the 1 Watt Luxeon Emitter single light or the six pack led set ??? I want the brightest ones
84 toy 5" suspension, 2" shackle, new 35" Boggers, Detroit rear, tru-trac front, 5.29 gears, custom made bumpers f/r, custom sliders, racing seats with 4 point harness, marlin 4.70:1 t-case,stock 4 banger with sincro Webber carb

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »

Because I did not know about this site. Most of us go to Roundeyes because it is wheelers helping out another wheeler with a small business.

Thanks for the link!!!!
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:20:37 PM »
there is a user named robinhood4x4 over on ultimateyota.com he has a pretty slick writeup on his, he wont get into the details because it kidna steps on some vendors feet, but he is a cool guy and would tell you what he did on a run, maybe if you even asked him offline....

he used the luxeon 1 watt leds... i have heard that there are 3 watt luxeons now too, i would be interested to see that setup with the 3 watt leds... i think robinhoods turned out quite niceley....

he said its the same setup as what roundeyes sells ready to bolt in, but that his was jsut homemade, and a lot cheaper

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=175.0

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:42:03 PM »
I like this thread.   Ive been thinking about doing some rock lights for a while now.  would have never thought about using leds.

thanks for the links guys.
I like to Drive!

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2007, 07:00:56 PM »
I did some reading and the 1 Watt Luxeon Emitter is eaqual to 10-20  ultra-bright white 5mm LEDs :thumbs:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »
I did some reading and the 1 Watt Luxeon Emitter is eaqual to 10-20  ultra-bright white 5mm LEDs :thumbs:

I was going to say the Luxeon must be brighter. I have not tested the two and I didn't know what to order at first, so I just got a pair of the 6-led setup. I figure I can get two of these for the same price as on Luxeon, and maybe I can spread the light around a bit more?

I should just buy a Luxeon and compare the two for a final decision.

there is a user named robinhood4x4 over on ultimateyota.com he has a pretty slick writeup on his

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=175.0

Sweet, thanks for the link. It has some good information there. Here are two more links from that link:
http://www.autolumination.com/
http://evnut.com/rav_mods.htm

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 14, 2007, 07:56:34 PM »
I was going to say the Luxeon must be brighter. I have not tested the two and I didn't know what to order at first, so I just got a pair of the 6-led setup. I figure I can get two of these for the same price as on Luxeon, and maybe I can spread the light around a bit more?

I should just buy a Luxeon and compare the two for a final decision.

To put things into perspective, here's what luxeons can do compared to a normal 3C maglight.  Keep in mind the light is focused and a rocklight will be much more diffused. 

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=275.0

LED technology has improved greatly in the past year that I made my rocklights.  They now have some that are 2-3 times as bright as the 1 watts and almost as cheap. 
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2007, 08:02:57 PM by robinhood4x4 »
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2007, 05:31:38 AM »
I had a Luxeon 1watt flashlight, thought it was really cool, bought a Fenix L2T 3watt Luxeon, blew my mind how much better it was...lights up trees down the block. In my opinion, the L2T's batteries are better than the Inova...it uses AA's instead of hard-to-find 3volt CR123 batteries(at a fuel station at 3am when the Inova's are dead). I use 2500ma rechargeable AA's in mine.

My friend just bought the L2D on my recomendation, it's soooo much neater...the L2T does 10 lumens for 16 hours and 55 lumens for 2.5 hours...the L2D does 9 lumens for 55 hours, 40 lumens for 22.5 hours, 80 lumens for 10 hours, and a whopping 135 lumens for 2.5 hours...it also has a really fast puke-inducing strobe or a 3-flash SOS mode.

Sorry about the thread hijack...nobody but Bill Gates is gonna spend $46-$56 on these flashlights for use as rock lights, but it's amazing how bright they are, and how long the batteries last. A guy could do worse than get one of these...i use mine instead of a drop light when i'm working on my Toyota's, they last so long. Imagine going 4x4'ing on a rough, BFE trail and rolling down into a ravine. You're trapped and can't get out. The fast strobe mode is really noticeable at night...even if nobody is searching for you, someone will probably notice it, and it'll run for days or weeks.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 15, 2007, 05:53:44 AM »
Sorry about the thread hijack...nobody but Bill Gates is gonna spend $46-$56 on these flashlights for use as rock lights

I didn't say use the flashlights as rocklights, I linked the flashlight thread to be used as a comparison for judging how bright LEDs are compared to a normal light.  For rock lights click on the thread Jimbo linked to.  I have about $35 total into my luxeon rock light setup.   :)
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 15, 2007, 09:27:42 AM »
I wasn't accusing you of advising people to use these expensive flashlights as rocklights, oh Prince of Thieves...i was just apolgizing for hijacking the thread, and boasting of how good the flashlights are.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2007, 12:39:47 PM »
I got mine from roundeyes.com i have 4 on my yota and i like them
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
I wasn't accusing you of advising people to use these expensive flashlights as rocklights, oh Prince of Thieves...i was just apolgizing for hijacking the thread, and boasting of how good the flashlights are.
I see, my mistake.   :thumbs:

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2007, 06:40:05 AM »
 :eyebrow:check out Oznium.com lites come in various colors and strip lenghts. also waterproof

12GA.YOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 20, 2007, 06:08:19 PM »
Than 4 the info it was very helpfull, I would have never found those sites. ordering the 1 Watt Luxeon Emitters today. :turtle:rocks

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 26, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »
After doing most of the Rubicon in the dark, I just ordered the Luxart SBL type because they have the resistor pack built in from superbrightleds.com.  Gonna give them a try, also they have a wider beam pattern.  I'm just not hard core enough to make them on my own.  haha

Now I just have to figure out how to wire them up in parallel.   Do I put one big fuse in the main power line, or do I put a fuse on each separate line to the light, how do I bring 4 wires together?   :headscratch:  :dunno:

I'm going to burn my truck down.   :haha:
I like to Drive!

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2007, 12:06:17 AM »
i was wondering the same wermz..... LEDs seem like the way to go...... where do i find how to run a series of them throughout my truck? anyone have a wiring diagram for dummies?  :shocking:
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

highridin4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 237
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
Here is a diagram on there site it only show one light hooked to the switch but you should be able to tie all the power wires together and then to the switch or run them all back to the switch. You can hook the grounds to the frame or run them back to the battery.

Scott.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »
I got them last week and they are bright.  :yesnod:

been reading and studying.  going to run the fuse in line before the single switch to all of them.  Still trying to figure out the best way to bring the six wires from the lights into one wire for the switch, (have a few ideas).   I'll let ya know what I do. 
I like to Drive!