Author Topic: i love toyotas and i HATE teenagers  (Read 2885 times)

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
i love toyotas and i HATE teenagers
« on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:57:44 PM »
So yesterday, i was driving in town and i noticed this weird noise that sounded like something was flapping against my tire. so when me and my sister got to wally world, i got out and checked it out. i couldn't find a single thing that was even close to the tire. so we went into walmart and got our stuff and came out and left. it was still making the sound so i stopped in a parking lot and took an even closer look to the axle and the surrounding areas. i still couldn't find anything wrong so i drove home some of the way going very slow. when i got on the highway the sound went away so i went about 60. then when i was turning on to a street, my wheel came off! i heard a pop and instantly i was like well crap, before i had time to do anything, my back end was on the ground, scraping the pavement. so i pulled off the road and got my tire that gone down the highway, thankfully not hitting any cars, being the middle of coming home from work hour. I started to jack up my truck and put the tire back on and someone with a Hi-Jack helped me get it up and we put the wheel back on with some lug nuts that my dad brought. so yeah, i'm convinced that it was some stupid kids or kid that loosened them because i tighten those things down till they won't tighten anymore so they definetely shouldn't have come loose. really pisses me off that someone would do something so dangerous to someone elses property. i mean me and my sister could have died or killed someone else! But the good part is that it's a toyota and i checked all the brakes and wheel and axle and pretty much everything in the general area and there is absolutely nothing damaged except for my fender which was bent around by the tire. i'm pretty sure that if it were a different, not as well made truck it would have screwed something up cause i slid on the ground for a good 15-25 Ft on my drum. and it stayed on for about 8-10 miles without falling off. well anyways that's my exciting story of the week so i'll get off my soapbox now.
lets not and say we did.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: i love toyotas and i HATE teenagers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »
Time to invest in a torque wrench. :twocents:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2007, 03:06:23 PM »
Damn, that sucks. Glad you guys were alright. Are you sure you havnt pissed someone off lately? Sounds pretty malicious for a prank....seems like someone would really want to inflict harm, death or damage to you and your vehicle to do something like that. Hopefuly it doesnt happen again, POS...whoever it was.... :shakehead:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2007, 03:17:54 PM »
Wow thank goodness you are not injured it could have been worse. 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

84pickup [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2007, 05:38:48 PM »
i haven't pissed off anyone recently and i think they had to have done it at my house or maybe at church. i've got a torque wrench i just don't normally use it for my wheels i guess i probably should use it. the last time i pissed some one off about 3-4 months ago who, at the time was looking for basicly the exact same truck as mine so i was kind of worried about it for a while cause he knows exactly what my truck looks like and what it has. yeah it could have been a lot worse. i was telling my parents about it and they said that i reacted perfectly and luckily i was only going about 45 or so when it fell off.
lets not and say we did.

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »
Do you have aluminum wheels? Have you had your tires/wheels off of the vehicle rescently for some reason or another? Do you use a 4 way or just an inpact to tighten your lugnuts?

Sorry for all the questions but it seens like you put way to much thought into who caused your problems with out proper evidence that it was someone else.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »
Damn, that sucks. Glad you guys were alright. Are you sure you havnt pissed someone off lately? Sounds pretty malicious for a prank....seems like someone would really want to inflict harm, death or damage to you and your vehicle to do something like that. Hopefuly it doesnt happen again, POS...whoever it was.... :shakehead:
i had somebody loosen the lug nuts on the drivers front tire on the nissan pickup i used to have, hadnt messed with anybody and as far as i know nobody was mad at me. wheel came off just as i got onto a farm road with a 65mph speed limit.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »
If you have aluminum rims they don't need a teenager around for them to loosen up. In fact there are a lot of things to keep constant vigil of like axle ubolt nuts, exhaust manifold studs and nuts, pinion nuts, axle drain plugs (pesky rocks), I could go on and on. The vibrations we put our rigs through offroad are enough to loosen just about any nut.   
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »
If you have aluminum rims they don't need a teenager around for them to loosen up. In fact there are a lot of things to keep constant vigil of like axle ubolt nuts, exhaust manifold studs and nuts, pinion nuts, axle drain plugs (pesky rocks), I could go on and on. The vibrations we put our rigs through offroad are enough to loosen just about any nut.  
Agreed

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »

Even my head???? lol, j/k :rofl:

Doesn't sound very suspicous to me, but then again, many thing's and/or people could have done it.... i think the best thing to do is to move on and thank God that you tow were not harmed.... good to see that your still with us... keep us posted

military_stang
:respect:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2007, 02:33:42 PM »
This why I always use steel wheels.  You get better thread engagement.  Lug holes in aluminum tend to wear faster, with just normal tire removal than steel, and they wallow when lugnuts aren't tight.  And I always make the tire store guys run the lugnuts down by hand and then have them lower the tire until there's pressure on it, not all the weight, but just enough to keep the tire from spinning, and torque them!  IF you put all the weight on the tire, the wheel might not torque properly, the weight prevents the wheel from centering up 100%  And retorque them again after 100 miles! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2007, 03:40:12 PM »
This why I always use steel wheels.  You get better thread engagement.  Lug holes in aluminum tend to wear faster, with just normal tire removal than steel, and they wallow when lugnuts aren't tight.  And I always make the tire store guys run the lugnuts down by hand and then have them lower the tire until there's pressure on it, not all the weight, but just enough to keep the tire from spinning, and torque them!  IF you put all the weight on the tire, the wheel might not torque properly, the weight prevents the wheel from centering up 100%  And retorque them again after 100 miles! 
Always a good idea, they can also have someone jump in the cab and hold the brake to torque

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2007, 12:59:10 PM »
they can also have someone jump in the cab and hold the brake to torque

This does work well, for disc brakes, not for rear drum brakes.  If the brake drum isn't on all the way, ie; pulled drums to check brakes, the shoes holds the drum in place and the wheel doesn't get torqued down right!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »
I have enkei (sp) aluminum wheels.  While at work one day my boss randomly bent down, tried turning my lug nuts and they came loose by hand!  Yes they're aluminum wheels, but these have a steel insert and I torque them to 100ft lb.  I lived in a shady neighborhood at the time and was convinced somebody came by to loosen them with the intent of stealing my wheels, probably got spooked or something and left.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2007, 05:57:16 PM »
That very well could be what was happening too.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

84pickup [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »
well i have the stock, rusty, white steelies on my truck. so i doubt anyone would like to steel my wheels.
lets not and say we did.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »
well i have the stock, rusty, white steelies on my truck. so i doubt anyone would like to steel my wheels.

Well, just make sure they're torqued down good and tight. :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
You mean I was right? That's a first. :gap:

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:41:16 PM »

Never doubt the retarded things tweakers do. I had two steel VW 4 lug bug wheels stolen off my parts car years ago. What's sad and pathetic is the rear wheels were Fuch polished Porsche 911 alloys on adapters. Why someone did not steal those who knows.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »
Yup.  Tweakers SUCK!

I like to Drive!

84pickup [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
oh yeah a couple wednesdays ago me and my truck drove in to a giant ditch. it was about 4 ft deep and probably 6 ft wide. i went in at about 30-35 MPH and the only thing that happend was my alignment got off just a little, my front bumper got bent a little and my passenger side springs are sagging. even the cop that was there was saying that "you just can't kill these things." gotta love those solid axles!
lets not and say we did.

scott85runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2007, 06:37:58 AM »
i lost the right front wheel on my 85 as i was pulling into my driveway after having the wheels installed the prior week.i pointed fingers until i did a little investigating,turns out the right front wheel has 7/16 studs not 12s like the other three.checked the old lugnuts the wheel shop gave me back and sure enough six 7/16th lugs and the rest were 12s.no accounting for previous owners thinking.