Author Topic: Rear spring to match a 4inch Trail Disaster lift kit?  (Read 1495 times)

N2Frodn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Rear spring to match a 4inch Trail Disaster lift kit?
« on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
I recently added an 87 Extra cab 4x4 to my stable O toyota trucks. It came with a 4in trailmaster IFS lift kit on it. The rear is lifted with blocks. Since the blocks have been on for years and the truck was wheeled pretty hard by the previous owner, I now have a truck that leans to the passenger side quite a bit due to a leaf spring with a nice negative arch in the middle.

Would the 4in Marlin springs be a good match for the current lift kit? I would like the truck to sit level, have good rear flex and be a good match for my plans for the front suspension (SAS). I have always hated blocks, I do not trust them, even the steel ones that are currently on the rig.

I am building this truck as a long range trail rig, it has a shell and roof rack on it and will be carrying a fair amount of weight (spares, fuel, camping gear). Don't want to wind up with a rig that sags in the back when it is loaded.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
if your going to carry a lot of weight you might want to go with 5" springs.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I recently added an 87 Extra cab 4x4 to my stable O toyota trucks. It came with a 4in trailmaster IFS lift kit on it. The rear is lifted with blocks. Since the blocks have been on for years and the truck was wheeled pretty hard by the previous owner, I now have a truck that leans to the passenger side quite a bit due to a leaf spring with a nice negative arch in the middle.

Would the 4in Marlin springs be a good match for the current lift kit? I would like the truck to sit level, have good rear flex and be a good match for my plans for the front suspension (SAS). I have always hated blocks, I do not trust them, even the steel ones that are currently on the rig.

I am building this truck as a long range trail rig, it has a shell and roof rack on it and will be carrying a fair amount of weight (spares, fuel, camping gear). Don't want to wind up with a rig that sags in the back when it is loaded.

sounds like a plan to me.  I would call MC to make sure the spring rate will work if u are carrying a larger load
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

N2Frodn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Forgot to mention, I am trying to keep a fairly low COG. Truck currently has 33x10.5s on it. Previous owner said he had 35s on it for a while. I don't think I wanna go that big since the truck is mostly going to be driven on lighter duty trails and on pavement a fair amount.

I will give MC a call when I get a chance. Figure the least I can do is give Marlin some of my money. He offered to bail my ass out when I had some breakage on a trail ride years ago.