Author Topic: egr help.... where is the egr temp sensor located on a v6 92 4runner  (Read 3992 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
my buddy i work with is throwing a code.  and it is his egr system.  i bought him  a used egr and vsv now all i need is the tem; sensor.  could someone send me a picture so i k ow where it is located  so i can get one out of a junkyard  and know where to replace it at!?  thanks sorry for the newb question i have a 22re  im ot familiar with the v6's and dont have a fsm for it.  im doing my buddy a favor

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
it shows how to test it but not where it is located, haha.  ima try to get one next week at toyota connection in santa clara and ill ask them or try to locate it once i know what it looks like

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Did you ask BlackDog. He seem to know about the V6.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Did you ask BlackDog. He seem to know about the V6.

You rang?  :phone:

Robrub, I checked out my FSM, and I'm not finding anything about an EGR temp sensor.  The way it says to test the system, it almost seems as if the gases don't circulate based on temp alone, but rather the pressure built up by the heated gases.  :dunno: 

This is a shot in the dark, but there are several (3-4) sensors on a small plate at the back of the motor.  One of those might be it.  I'm not finding what they are in the FSM, but that doesn't mean much :hammerhead:  The plate is between the heads, at the very back, and bolts to the lower plenum.  Its too dark to go check the lines leading to and from them, but I guess its worth a shot :dunno:

Have you installed the new egr and VSV yet?  I'd do that first :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

PetaSux

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
The 92 doesn't have a temp sensor.  The sensor didn't come along until 94, unless its a california spec, which might have one.  Either way, its located right next to the valve itself, and has two wires for it.  The stuff Blackdog is talking about is all coolant sensors. 

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
cool  ill cheack it out.  my buddy hasent been driving it to work. maybe he dosent have one haha.  that would be ausome!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
The 92 doesn't have a temp sensor.  The sensor didn't come along until 94, unless its a california spec, which might have one.  Either way, its located right next to the valve itself, and has two wires for it.  The stuff Blackdog is talking about is all coolant sensors. 

Thats what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure.  Those are the only temp sensors I know of, so I figured if there was one, thats where it'd be.  I've never had to deal with this kind of problem, so I wasn't sure.  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent