Author Topic: Engine Swapping from a 3.0 to a 22RE????? Possible????  (Read 7927 times)

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Engine Swapping from a 3.0 to a 22RE????? Possible????
« on: Jul 13, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
First question.. is it possible???

I have been feeling a little wierd about my engine laity, she's been acting really wierd and making noise like she's got a loose valve or a knock in the 6th cylinder..... I have been thinking about doing the swap to a 4 cylinder for MPG, but is it even possible to do a swap from a 3.slow to a 22RE???? What would i have to do???

Yes, i do know i can do the 3.4L swap, but it seems that i would get better MPG in the 22RE than the 3.4L....

So, please help me with this.. thanks

military_stang
:respect:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
If you down grade, go to the 3rz awesome power and better mpg than the v6.  You've got the tranny, just need the bellhousing.  I wouldn't go down to the 22re, you wouldn't be happy with the difference in loss of power!  If you did go to 22re, you'd definitely want to re-gear to regain power!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
And the 3rz is the 3.4L right???

military_stang

Nothingface5384

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Dun! Dun!! Dun!!!
    • View Profile
    • CarDomain
no tthe 3rz-fe is the 2.7 i4 in the tacos..

the 3.4 is the v6
i love your sig your down to a half of a maverick

73 Maverick(jointly owned w/ lil bro)
64 LeSabre(sold)
82 RX7 (scrapped)
92 Toyota p/u 4x4 (dead) resurrecting underway
72 Skylark (dead) resurrecting underway
87 Grand AM (junked)
79 Regal (sold)
90 Geo Prizm (R.I.P)

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Anything is possible, if its what you want do it

offroadin88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
any swap is doable
go diesel if your crazy enough 160hp and 285lbs torque 4cyl 1kzte

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
What year is that diesel engine??? I would love to get 40 MPG with a diesel, hhaha

military_stang

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I believe that deisel is the one Willy Mammoth is putting in his rig.  You're talking big money there, as they weren't ever produced/sold in the states.  Have you had your check engine light come on?  If you have a knocking cylinder, your engine would tell you (trust me, I know :down: )

I doubt if you'd be happy with the down grade to a 22re.  I thought about it, but I'd rather so the work to throw in another 3.0 (been there, done that) than deal with the wiring harness issues and all that crap.  Of course, as soon as my truck stops being a DD, that 3.0 is coming out for good    :disturbed:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I believe that deisel is the one Willy Mammoth is putting in his rig.  You're talking big money there, as they weren't ever produced/sold in the states.  Have you had your check engine light come on?  If you have a knocking cylinder, your engine would tell you (trust me, I know :down: )

I doubt if you'd be happy with the down grade to a 22re.  I thought about it, but I'd rather so the work to throw in another 3.0 (been there, done that) than deal with the wiring harness issues and all that crap.  Of course, as soon as my truck stops being a DD, that 3.0 is coming out for good    :disturbed:

No knocking yet, but it does sound like one of the valve's is off... that or and exhaust leak (which i highly doubt cause i know the difference in the two). I would love to get better MPG than i am getting now, cause it seems that i am only getting around 16 to 18 MPG... I thought about doing the 3.4 swap, but that's the same MPG as the 3.slow... I guess it's just the price we pay for wheelin :thumbs: :biggthumpup:

military_stang

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
my wife's 94 4 runner has a 3.0 and it has plenty of power for all the weight it's pulling around. it gets 18+ mpg. yeah it could use more low end but it will wind out pretty good. when i heard about the 3.4 i wanted one but most people i talked to said they were bummed about the mpg. I'm looking for a newer 4 runner with a 22r or 2.7 because the motor is simpler but not because of better mileage.

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
my wife's 94 4 runner has a 3.0 and it has plenty of power for all the weight it's pulling around. it gets 18+ mpg. yeah it could use more low end but it will wind out pretty good. when i heard about the 3.4 i wanted one but most people i talked to said they were bummed about the mpg. I'm looking for a newer 4 runner with a 22r or 2.7 because the motor is simpler but not because of better mileage.

How does the new 2.7 do on gas mileage???

military_stang

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
my brother in law has a 03 Tacoma 2 wheel drive prerunner with a 2.7 that he drives like he stoled it. and he said he gets 21 to 19 mpg. other people I've talked to said they got better.

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I would run the 2.7 out of a taco and call ors and get there swap kit that way ypu can still pass smog
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
First question.. is it possible???

I have been feeling a little wierd about my engine laity, she's been acting really wierd and making noise like she's got a loose valve or a knock in the 6th cylinder..... I have been thinking about doing the swap to a 4 cylinder for MPG, but is it even possible to do a swap from a 3.slow to a 22RE???? What would i have to do???

Yes, i do know i can do the 3.4L swap, but it seems that i would get better MPG in the 22RE than the 3.4L....

So, please help me with this.. thanks

military_stang
a 3rz would be easy  since  you have the R150 tranny  you could  get Marlins 3RZ to R  tranny  bellhousing and bolt it right up

the 3rz  4 cyl has  more power than the 3.0 ever had

and much easier to work on  if  you ever need to

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
dont those 3.0s get a burnout in cylinder 6?

as far as the diesel, i have heard they have issues and really arent as great as people make them sound.... unless you dump a ton of $ into them.... rumored to be mroe than they are worth.... not to mention initial cost of the engine, might be mreo than your truck si worth....

you could put in a 22re... but be preparred for a full on swap with a donor truck, you will need instrument cluster, and all the wiring basically.... computer all of that....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

theidlemind

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Put a diesel in it. I have swapped diesels into both of my Toys (94 pickup and 86 4Runner).
24 MPG is the LEAST I have seen and since I'm burning vegetable oil and home brewed B100 Biodiesel I haven't paid for fuel in 15 months.
One on EBay right now cheap and it even comes with a complete extra truck
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260139244523&rd=1,1

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
what type diesel engine for the swap. and how much does it weight? I've thought about a diesel swap myself but a lot of weight hanging on the front of a light truck isn't the answer up here in all this mud. and with the light weight diesels well the engine turn bigger than stock tires and still get good mpg???

theidlemind

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
I've swapped in a couple of Toyota 2Lt's.
Not sure about the weight but I don't notice any difference in ride height or handling.
Here's a neat video if you want.......(not my truck).......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Synaivsh80w

randito

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 34
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've been looking into a diesel swap for a few months now and toyotadiesel.com is by far the best Toyota resource I've found in terms of conversion info.  It's been pointed out that if you're simply wanting to get better mpg to save money, you're taking a huge step backwards by investing in an engine swap.  Most of the 2L-T and TE swaps end up costing atleast 5k all said and done.  And if you want to go 1kz-te, you're looking at atleast 4k just for the halfcut with an auto or 5-6k for a manual if you can find one.  Then you gotta realize how much time you're gonna put in. 

However, if you fully commit to making your own bio, then yeah you can eventually come out ahead, but still it will take some time.  Having said all this though, I'm still planning to go diesel in the far future, but I realize that it's gonna be a project and not simply to save money.  If you're really looking at it from a dollars and cents point of view, then I would either deal with the engine you have or sell your truck and buy exactly what you want.  Putting a 22re into a V6 truck seems pointless to me. 

theidlemind, curious if you have a write up on your conversions?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
id swap to the 2.7

the 2.4 is a disappointment in power loss compared to the 3.0.
the 2.7 kicks the 3.slows ass, hands down!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
dont those 3.0s get a burnout in cylinder 6?

They can if you've got an exhaust leak right there.  That is where the d-side manifold, downpipe, and crossover pipe all come together, and it can be a PITA to get them all back together without leaking. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
before you swap in any other engine, where do you live? and do you plan on this rig being street legal?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
 :twocents:
In my opinion the 22r, or 22re is a better motor than the 3.0, however, the 3.4 conversion is pretty straight forward in the 3.0 vehicles. Do a little online research. 2.7 is also a good way to go, but there is alot more that goes into that. The 3.4 bolts in.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
before you swap in any other engine, where do you live? and do you plan on this rig being street legal?

I live in Utard.. but i don't know how long for (due to the AF) and yes, this is going to be my DD..

military_stang

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Here's a link to OffRoad Solutions on doing the 3.4 swap.
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/technicalarticles.htm

If your looking for good power with really decent mpg, definitely go with a 2.7.  I can vouch with the power of a 2.7 3rz.  35" tires with 4.88 r&p on a 85 toy extra cab going up hill, we were easily pushing 65 to 70 mph up the 4 lane outside of Fresno, which is a very steep hill!  I was very impressed with the 3rz!  This same rig had a 4.3 chevy v6 in it, when Bigmike stomped his butt with his 2.7.  Which made 4THEWKN decide to go with a 2.7.  Once I have alot more confidence in truck building, I'm going to go with a 3rz! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I have a central manifold injected 4.3 in one of my trucks and I assure you a 2.7 won't kill it. The 2.7 is an awesome motor, but so is the 4.3. My motor is all stock interanlly, I am only running bolt ons and the computer has been remapped. I'm putting just under 200 ponies to the ground with 37's. Yea, it learn the hard way that not all of the toyota running gear is up to the task, now I'm running a th 350 trans, after blowing up two w series trans and now I'm running a tacoma rearend.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs