Author Topic: Radiator Relocation  (Read 9235 times)

PoorCollegeCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Radiator Relocation
« on: Jul 08, 2007, 09:03:05 PM »
I have been dinging up my radiator pretty hardcore when offroading, and besides that it is killing my clearance. I looked into smaller after markets, but none would be enough. My next idea is to mount my radiator in the bed of my truck, electric fan, metal cage to keep it reasonably far away from the sides, just extend my plumbing along the frame and cut a hole in the bed. Anyone done this/heard of people doing this? I figure this will save me some cabbage (180 for smallest possible radiator) and will be a hella upgrade for my clearance.
"For future reference, if you hear me say "I love you baby", I was probably talking to my truck, not you...what?"

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Radiator Relocation
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »
air pockits are the biggest trouble.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »
I have no clue but will do some resurch, for I also would like to know.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2007, 07:36:02 AM »
yeah, a lot of guys in the south that run mud do it.  With fullsize trucks.

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,076
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2007, 08:15:27 AM »
I have my radiator in the bed. I run a juiced up 350. I ran my plumbing along the frame. used a stock fullsize blazer radiator and a taurus fan. here's so pics of the tubing and the radiator

The statistic on sanity is that One in every four is insane, Think of your three best friends if they're ok then its you.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:04:22 AM »
I have been dinging up my radiator pretty hardcore when offroading, and besides that it is killing my clearance. I looked into smaller after markets, but none would be enough. My next idea is to mount my radiator in the bed of my truck, electric fan, metal cage to keep it reasonably far away from the sides, just extend my plumbing along the frame and cut a hole in the bed. Anyone done this/heard of people doing this? I figure this will save me some cabbage (180 for smallest possible radiator) and will be a hella upgrade for my clearance.
what kinda wheeling are you doing  ??

what  year  truck do you have??

what bumper??

i installed a  2 inch bodylift  to clear  my  later transmission  and  it  was the only way  i could mount my v6 radiator.   but  mine is  well protected

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 09, 2007, 09:15:19 AM »
 :cheese:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2007, 11:29:22 AM »
what kinda wheeling are you doing  ??

what  year  truck do you have??

what bumper??

i installed a  2 inch bodylift  to clear  my  later transmission  and  it  was the only way  i could mount my v6 radiator.   but  mine is  well protected

rock crawling, mudding, and hills. 2000 taco, heres the pic, which should make it evident why i am doing this:

gonna move that bumper up an inch then chop the frame at a 45 degree angle. its 2x4 steel welded directly to the frame. front crash safety rating = i win.

nice pics lizard, i was planning on just running radiator tubing, not steel, any reason for/against this?
"For future reference, if you hear me say "I love you baby", I was probably talking to my truck, not you...what?"

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
If you run steel tubing it will help in cooling, as rubber will not!  The only downfall of a rear radiator is to make sure you have sufficient airflow in the bed!

Why don't you get a front skidplate, that will solve your problems!  You'll still get airflow through your radiator, but you will keep stuff from damaging it!  Get some metal or aluminum and have it bent to fit from the front cross member to just below your bumper! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
why is the radiator that low? i have never seen onme that low, usually they are mounted to the radiator support and up a lot higher than the front suspension... it looks liek you have plenty of room to put it where it is supposed to be
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
cheese - my problems aren't just damaging the radiator, its a major clearance issue.

jimbo - no idea why, but trust me there is no room to move it up. it was covered up by the pos plastic bumper, the thing is 24 inches deep by 25 inches wide.

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
The biggest problem is air flow and air pockets. if you can get enough flow to the bed and all of the air pockets out it'll cool fine.
The statistic on sanity is that One in every four is insane, Think of your three best friends if they're ok then its you.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
is the truck sitting stock height? it looks really low like jimbo said. a lift or bigger tires might help u out in more ways than one
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2007, 03:13:14 PM »
well i can't afford a lift or new tires at this point.

lizard, how did you get rid of air pockets? just a lot of fluid and making sure there were no places where the air could gather?

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2007, 04:27:23 PM »
you have to bleed the system over and over. Make sure there isn't an air pocket under your t-stat. you can also drill a small hole in the t-stat to make sure there isn't one. and when you run in for a while you can feel where the air pockets are in the rubber hoses that connect the tube to the radiator or the motor. also add your antifreeze and take a hose and put in the radiator and close the rest of the radiator with a towell or something. it actually works. my old man told me. also they make some bleeding kits i hear. you can pick them up at like a parts store. and hook it up to your heater hose lines.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10, 2007, 02:22:32 AM »
Put a lift into it, that would solve it!  Either that or get rid of it and get a older toyota and you won't have that problem.  Just remember that the companies are making these rigs for hwy driving.  That's why the radiator is so big and hangs low! 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 10, 2007, 07:09:16 AM »
ugh just found out the electric fan is gonna be 300, knew it would be something, but jesus thats a lot. looks like im gonna be spending a lot of time waiting tables the next few weeks hehe.

can't really do lift because my 31s would then be too small, meaning new tires which coupled with a decent lift, makes me broke. not to mention i plan on doing an sas after next year of college, and the IFS lift is expensive and would then be useless.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:11:37 AM »
chop the front of the frame off and your future plans  of  a sas  are over

and  didnt you post this somewhere else ??

kinda like cutting your nose off to spite  your face

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »
It'd be worth it to do an sas. The price of tubing and everything with your fan should be kind of close to do an sas. IF you shop around you can find some good deals and do it for cheap

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 10, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »
rock crawling, mudding, and hills. 2000 taco, heres the pic, which should make it evident why i am doing this:

gonna move that bumper up an inch then chop the frame at a 45 degree angle. its 2x4 steel welded directly to the frame. front crash safety rating = i win.

:slap:  when was you gonna tell me  you was from Arkansas  :spankbutt:

what   welding shop  did your  bumper  Whisenhunt in Arkadelphia  is a  :idiot:   no wonder you dont have any protection down there

:psss:  i emailed you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 10, 2007, 10:09:17 AM »

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 10, 2007, 10:59:57 AM »
just did it at a local shop in northwest arkansas, live in rogers/fayettville.

i am not talking a major cut to the frame, a very very minor one. i posted somewhere else about just replacing my radiator but the benefits of putting it in the bed are pretty high, and either way my wallet is gonna get screwed. might as well work my nuts off (and these extra hours are on top of my current 60+ hours a week hehe) and go for it.

lizard, i was pricing an SAS at like 1500 min, and the electric fan being 300, all thats left it mounting and tubing, both of which shouldn't cost anywhere near 1200 (will mount it myself)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 10, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Put a skid plate on it and solve your problems for now, and save your money for a sas!  :shake_head:  It's just that simple! The skid plate will protect your radiator.   

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 10, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »
agreed with the above statement.

the-rock-doc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 10, 2007, 03:00:48 PM »
Yeah, I relocated the rad of my 82 in the bed about 10 inches in front of the cab on  two pieces of angle Iron.  I did this because I wanted a winch but didn't want to destroy my approach angle so I mounted my winch in the engine compartment and used 1 1/2" DOM to run my cooling lines, of course, remember to run yer cooling lines high up along the frame and use something to protect them like... more angle iron.  This helps to strengthen the frame and to protect the cooling lines.  Another thing I did that alot of people don't know is that I went to the closest wrecking yard and pulled an aluminum rad out of a 91 S-10 Blazer.  It works a hell of a lot better than the old copper or brass or I have even seen some yota's with 4345 steel rads.  Just a thought I guess.

Scott

PoorCollegeCrawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2007, 05:36:31 PM »
yeah but skid plating is just gonna make my front clearance suck harder then it already does, to climb any rocks i gotta hit the things at such an angle i am risking a rollover. besides, i love doing mods. also theres no way ill be able to afford that sas this summer, no matter how much i work

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 11, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »
I don't know. I still think you should to some sort of skid plate on the front. from the frame up to maybe the bumper like a landing ramp haha

Lizard_lips

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '02
  • Marlin Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 11, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
if you still want to run the radiator in the bed. I'd sell my tubes to you. I'm parting my toy out

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 11, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »
throw on a skidplate, and call it good until you can afford it....

what if you break somehting offroad? this is your dd i assume? if you cant afford to build your truck, you really shouldnt be wheeling it to the point that you are risking a rollover....

you must sacrifice i need to go wheeling right now and beat my truck to hell versus, i need to be able to drive to work the next day.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~