Author Topic: 22r carb trouble...i need fuel  (Read 1536 times)

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
22r carb trouble...i need fuel
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:39:15 PM »
A couple weeks back i was driving my 82 yota with the 22r in it around town. It had been driving great and nothing had really been going wrong with it except it would cut off sometimes at a stop. While driving up a hill it cut off middle of the road just stopped. I tried cranking it filling it up with gas using starter fluid everything but it wouldnt crank so i got it pulled home all the way across town and let it sit. My jeep is on some down time so i decided to try and get the truck working so i could drive it again. I took the carb off and cleaned it and found out that a few things werent hooked up right so i assembled it back correctly i believe. I changed the fuel filter and i was quuestionable as to which line went where so im not sure which way to hook it up so ive been switching it back and forth seeing which way works. I can get it to crank up every so often but it wont stay on for long and it will bog down. The filter shows there fuel in there but not full. The window on the carb will show fuel sometimes but barely any in there and it isnt consistant. What the hell do i do? Ive got a carb rebuild kit but havent rebuilt it. What would yall suggest for me to do?

Im sorry im new to carb engines so excuse my stupidity and lack of being able to explain my situation sorry.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 22r carb trouble...i need fuel
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »
sounds liek a good time to rebuild it... i remember someone here gettign a pine needle stuck in a jet or something like that..... all bad, took a long time for them to find it....

as for the filter, there are arrows on the filters...... the outgoing arrow goes away from the line from the gas tank
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2007, 12:09:37 AM »
If you already have a kit for it...why wait?   :dunno: If you haven't built a carb before either take your time and be real observant of the disassembly or get some help with the rebuild if you apprehension is high  :yesnod:. Otherwise, go for it and good luck  :thumbs:. As far as the filter goes it should flow and filter in either direction since there are no check valves on that type of filter  :nope:. The direction matters only to tell if the filter media is dirty (inside vs. outside). Also if you get a lot of crud through it, don't reverse it . That will cause the crud to be forced out of the filter and into your fresh carb. :think: .

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »
sounds like the float  sticking
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2007, 08:43:47 AM »
I would also check your fuel pump.

Steve97TJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2007, 10:56:52 AM »
The fuel pump is located at the front of the engine right? Because ive checked it and it seems to be pumping fuel out. What do i do to my float? I dont know how to adjust all the parts on it because im a total newb to carbs. Ive got a haynes manual that ive been using to help me a lot.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

Steve97TJ [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2007, 06:36:22 PM »
Well ive rebuilt my carb, put in a new fuel filter and pump and its still not running. Im getting so frustrated.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC