Author Topic: Could the Taco's Be gone for good?  (Read 4981 times)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
Could the Taco's Be gone for good?
« on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:32:54 PM »
I heard on the news this morning there is talk of the NUMMI plant in Fremont here in CA headed for some big lay offs in order to stay competitive with the big 3. In that statement they also said, since that is where the Tacoma is built that they're considering discontinuing production of the Tacoma.  :yikes: They didn't say much more than that... :dunno: Anyone else hear of this? Or know anything different? Huh, and I thought they were doing so well.. :dunno: What are your thoughts?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: Could the Taco's Be gone for good?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
I havent heard anything like that but Im not really in "the loop" so I dont know. I do know that in the last few years every truck company has been moving away from the mini trucks and back into fullsizing everything so all in all it probably wouldnt surprise me if they killed the mini trucks. I pray they dont do it but the American auto market is really a wacky one.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:31:16 PM »
there was an article in the paper about it, didnt say the taco would be discontinued, just said their might be some layoffs, and that only 40% of the tacos are made @ nummi, so not all of them would disappear they would just be harder to get
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
I havent heard anything like that but Im not really in "the loop" so I dont know. I do know that in the last few years every truck company has been moving away from the mini trucks and back into fullsizing everything so all in all it probably wouldnt surprise me if they killed the mini trucks. I pray they dont do it but the American auto market is really a wacky one.

dodge has the dakota (midsized though) and ford has the ranger while chevy has the s10

i doubt the little truck market will cease to exist... hell, i see mreo of those little 2wd trucks being used as work vehicles now adays by landscapers, tradesmen than any of the big trucks (well until you start getting into the owners truck, thats a luxurious fullsize 4x4) but the actual working guys use the little trucks, and htey are workhorses too
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:41:07 PM »
Yeah, I just meant that "minis" arent so mini anymore. Look at the latest generation of tacoma. Those things are pretty big compared to previous toyota trucks. I dont think they would be smart to axe minis all together, i just dont like how large everything is getting
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2007, 03:50:46 PM »
chevy ditched the s10 a few years ago, now its the colorado/canyon. not quite sure where yall are getting that most construction workers are using mini trucks, when i was working construction most of the workers i was working withi  were using full size trucks. :shrug:

i wish they would have kept the mini trucks mini. the tacoma now is about the size of the old T100, dakota and nissan frontier are the same. chevy/gmc colorado/canyon and the ford ranger are still mini though. the full sizes are getting even bigger as well.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2007, 04:06:10 PM »
Yeah, all the mini trucks are getting bigger.  I think we're seeing the end of an era there.  I'm not too worried about tacos dissapearing though.  I don't think they'll even be that hard to get.  One thing that layoffs mean  is also that they're  introducing machines and more computerized equipment. Less salaries to pay, less benefits to offer, and not as much issues with unions. 

Big construction comanies use full size trucks, but out here, a lot of the small independent guys use the mini trucks. A combination of hauling ability and decent gas mileage is important for those guys htat can travel 300 miles round trip to get to their different jobsites.  We've got a guy working for our company that lives in orovile and regularly commutes to the bay area for jobs.  Thats a long haul for work.  He drives a new tacoma, used to have an s10
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2007, 05:31:57 PM »
Yeah, I just meant that "minis" arent so mini anymore. Look at the latest generation of tacoma. Those things are pretty big compared to previous toyota trucks. I dont think they would be smart to axe minis all together, i just dont like how large everything is getting

it is because our population is getting bigger

Drew
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007, 11:23:41 PM by Rockcrawlintoy »
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
What I see happening is minis getting so big they'll start making little trucks again to fill the void.  I often see tacomas from a distance and assume they're tundras. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2007, 09:59:18 PM »
What I see happening is minis getting so big they'll start making little trucks again to fill the void.  I often see tacomas from a distance and assume they're tundras. 

Same here. I like them but they are big. If I wanted a Tundra I would by a Tundra, and if I wanted a full size I would get a diesel. but whatever. I guess the car manufactures know more or something  :screwy:
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

fordh8r [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2007, 11:54:10 PM »
I guess the car manufactures know more or something  :screwy:
I think it's called $$$$$$......  :gap:  :slap:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2007, 06:06:33 AM »
Just saw 2 more truckloads of Tacoma frames on the way to work, so not slowing down yet. :twocents:

tulsa_97sr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Nov '05
  • On jackstands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2007, 06:29:19 AM »
The Tacoma sells really well, better than anything else in it's class.  Can't imagine they would even think about axing it.  I would love to see a third, smaller model pu from toyota.  Oh, and the 70 series LC from australia as long as I'm asking for stuff.
97 sr5, 4wd 4cyl 5spd - DD
85 sr5, rusty

fordh8r [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2007, 08:10:22 AM »
The Tacoma sells really well, better than anything else in it's class.  Can't imagine they would even think about axing it.  I would love to see a third, smaller model pu from toyota.  Oh, and the 70 series LC from australia as long as I'm asking for stuff.
  :santa:  You'll just have to wait there young man... :santa:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:39:50 AM »
I would love to see a third, smaller model pu from toyota.  Oh, and the 70 series LC from australia as long as I'm asking for stuff.

As much as many of us would like to see the lc70 here it'd never happen.  As prissy as the general american consumers are they'd go over like a fart in church.  Strong, rugged and simple just don't cut it in america.  Plush, cushy and pimp are what sells here.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

tulsa_97sr5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 25
  • Member since Nov '05
  • On jackstands
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 29, 2007, 10:50:59 AM »
As much as many of us would like to see the lc70 here it'd never happen.  As prissy as the general american consumers are they'd go over like a fart in church.  Strong, rugged and simple just don't cut it in america.  Plush, cushy and pimp are what sells here.

Yep, can't see it happening.  I'm sure getting it to meet crash and emisions regs would cost a small fortune.  Plus they are pretty damn expensive.  Still want them though  :gap:
97 sr5, 4wd 4cyl 5spd - DD
85 sr5, rusty

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »

This explains why the straight axle has been replaced for IFS!  And why it will never be brought back!  Sucks!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 29, 2007, 03:24:14 PM »
The new Taco is ugly and way to big, it's really the end of an era for Toyota trucks.

Soon it will be full-size or nothing

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 29, 2007, 04:03:45 PM »
i dont think the new taco is fugly its just enormous...
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 29, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
 :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers: :rivers:

this thread makes me sad
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2007, 08:08:44 PM »
change is good who knows what will be next! + Im not a big fan of the new tacomas. 

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »
I think the bodies of the new tacos arent bad, too big, but the shape isnt bad. then you get to the front end, and i swear it looks like a guppy. The front clip is horrible IMO. I hated it when they first did it to the 4runners too. With a lot of mods they look cool but stock I just cant stand em.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »
I love all the toyota body styles, up to the Tacoma!  First, second and third gen are the best!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2007, 10:11:29 AM »
Sadly this is what happens in a market ruled by the consumer.  That's why we got ifs on the hilux in 86 while other countries still had solid axles until 95 or so.  One of the few solid axle holdouts, dodge, is even going away from it and I wonder how long it'll take jeep to dump it too :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »
Around the world you could get solid axles from the factory until 1998.  :maddest:

I think Jeep is still the only one to realize the value of the straight axle in a factory vehicle. I know their new wranglers are selling really well. So it may be a while before they get rid of it, but when Jeep does I think reality will set in that we will never seen a solid axle again on a factory vehicle.

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
bye bye solid axles.. well miss you..