Author Topic: total craigslist score on auillary fuel tank but can i run it as a stand alone  (Read 1733 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
so i got this tank it says it is made by northwest fuel systems.  it is brand new and is made to bolt up where the spare tire carieir is.  like this one on downey's site.

"These are sturdy 14 gauge coated steel tanks with an approximate 14 gallon capacity (varies due to evapo-emission control system). Each auxiliary tank solidly bolts to the vehicle in four mounting locations, and fits the 1979-95 4WD Pickup and 1984-89 4 Runner. When you top-off both tanks, stock and auxiliary, your gas gauge is indicating that both tanks are full. When empty, your gas gauge indicates that both tanks are empty. Tanks mount into the area immediately above the spare tire. The spare tire will mount identically (chain and crank) suspended approximately 4” lower than before. You may want to consider a suspension lift kit to buy back some of the lost ground clearance. These auxiliary tanks have their own filler neck and cap that mount at the rear of the passenger’s side rear wheel well."

i wonder if i can use it as a replacement tank.  but  anyone have a good sugestion on how to set up the fuel pump and a sending unit so my guage works and so i can ge t good amount of fuel to the engine???

downey site says "If using the new fuel cell as a stand alone main tank, you will not need special plumbing hardware, simply route a pickup hose from tank to fuel pump"

but it must mean an external pump im guessing.  what would be a good high preformance pump???

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
What did you pay for it. Maybe you should sell it to me so I can add it to my Runner  :yesnod:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
i got it for a steal< lol.  i think ill keep it haha

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I had one of those on my truck, the problem you will have trying to use it by itself is it is a gravity feed tank, there is no pickup and it drains at the front. That means every time you try to climb a hill you'll run out of gas even if it is full. I used to watch my guage go from full to almost empty even with both tanks. When using it in conjuncton with the oem tank when you go downhill all the fuel drains to the main tank and when you are climbing all the fuel drains to the auxillary tank. It's great when both are full but anything at 1/2 in the main tank when you start climbing you could run out even though you have gas. My brother had one too and he ran out trying to climb Miller's Jeep slide.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2007, 06:47:42 PM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
yikes.  im thinking of  cutting a hole in it and putting the stock pump in it?  you got me thinking now!!,  maybe if i use it as a aux tank ill put a valve in between the tanks

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
It is a weird set up check the installation instructions and you'll see that even a oneway check valve may not work. I may cause the main tank to over flow since the return is the over flow shut off.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
ill have to cheack it out.  mybe a butterfly valve that i could flip the valve open to fill the bottom one.  honestly i want to figure out how to  run it as a replacemet tank