Author Topic: 22re motor problems  (Read 3082 times)

yotaperformer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
22re motor problems
« on: May 31, 2007, 09:13:51 PM »
 I've got a 88' toyota efi 22re, when i go to start it and turn the key the starter relay just clicks,just replaced the starter/solenoid with a brand new one,it started fine the three times i tried once i put it in put the wheel back on connected the battery and nothing but a click AGAIN!!!. So got it roll started and started heading home from my buddies and was coming down the hill and got to a little flat spot,went to give it gas and   :crazy:  blah!!! the motor died will not start wont even roll start. looked undr the hood for the obvious but all the plug wires connected,did not see any loose wires anywhere. I DONT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!!!  SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: 22re motor problems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
Is the cable going down to the starter loose someplace or rotted out?
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »
does it still crank over? im wondering if you have a few problems..... ive had an ignitor die on me while driving... all was fine then nothing..... some say the ignitors give warning, mine didnt.....

you might wnat to check into the ground cables and power cables for the starter...

if you replaced it with an aftermarket starter you just wasted a bunch of money.... 50% of them work, they bench test fine, but fail in a vehicle....

i would return it, say it doesnt work, get back your original oem starter and rebuild it... there are quite a few places that outline rebuilding of the starter... the oem starters rock http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2007, 05:39:24 AM »
Check all your connections going to and from the battery and starter, remove them one at a time and clean them, check clean the ground wire from the battery on both ends also. I've seen people bring trucks to the shop just for a loose ground.  good luck

yotaperformer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2007, 07:13:45 AM »
i dont think that the cable is loose i made sure it was tight,but for the hell of it i'm going to replace the hot from the starter to the battery/ and ground the battery straight to the frame. I dont know about the ignitor/are  you talking about the coil?      how would you tell if it is bad. i mean i changed the starter then it started fine 3 times in a row then nothing click. drove for about 2-3 miles then it just did not want to run it started like surging i noticed at the top of the hill then it stopped all seemed fine then down the hill a little blah it died when i went to give it gas

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2007, 09:21:25 AM »
the coil and igniter won't keep the starter from spinning the motor over. if the starter spins the motor over and the engine won't fire , then you might want to look at them next. but it sounds like you might have a voltage drop to the whole system. it sounds like a good plan to replace your battery cables if they look like they are bad. get good premade ones.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 01, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »
**just a quick note** i have a cheap fix it battery connector on the positive post that mashes the wires together with two bolts. every now and then they well come loose or corrode and Click gose the starter. after cleaning them up all is good again.. yeah I know i should spend the 6 or 7 bucks and fix it right.. but I'm waiting for a cold dark night when it raining.. the little wires go to a fuse and then the key switch on my truck. they must be good and clean also or the truck won't start. they also power the ignition.

yotaperformer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
alright today went to my truck out in the hills and the voltage of the battery was like 8.33v so we jumped it and let it charge back up and i headed for town got county roads and stopped to check the voltage it went from around 12v to 11.44v so we jumped it back up to about 12v and i made it home when i got here i held a tester to the post coming from the alternator and it only read 11.11v i would think that my alternator should read a little higher than that but i guess the reason why it would not run was because low voltage but it fired other than that,got her home now i guess i'm pulling the alternator and going to have it bench tested tomorrow.

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »
Sounds like a good idea.. I believe the norm for a fully charged battery is 12.8 volts so your alternator should be putting out more than that.

yotaperformer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
yeah thats what i thought it should be atleast around 14 or so

yotaperformer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2007, 05:28:20 PM »
well got that alternator off today and had it bench tested -failed-got a new one ND remanufactured put it in charged the battery all is fine so far the alternator puts out almost 16 volts. untill next time when those little gremlins pay me a visit i'll be waiting

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »
Cool sounds like ya got it!