Author Topic: What color should I paint my dash?  (Read 4064 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
What color should I paint my dash?
« on: May 30, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »
Seriously, the thought just hit me.  My 80 is down due to a massive heart attack and I wanna do some other stuff before the heart transplant.

Truck is red and will be painted with dupont centari red/red.  Interior is typical tan/beige on trim and dash but 2 tone red/yellow since it used to be yellow back in it's alaska days. 

Back when my poor little 81 2wd toy was still running strong (it was the latest heart donor :down: ) I kept trying to make the interior nicer.  I hacked up the stock dash but wanted to return it to stockish condition so I snagged a dash from pnp.  I don't remember what color it was, but I know it clashed worse than my current color scheme so I decided to spray it charcoal gray.  It looked good, especially with the dash pad I'd dyed medium gray around the same time.  I miss driving that truck :down:

Anyway, should I leave the dash how it is, paint it the stock color again or paint it to match the truck? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: What color should I paint my dash?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:43:38 PM »
Not the best pic to show the color red.  Lemme see if I can dig up a better one, but I'm pretty sure all my pics are of the truck dirty, as it should be :gap:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:02 PM »
Forgot I had one of the dash.  Needless to say if the dash gets pulled the rats nest will be neatified (tm).
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:07:13 AM »
so what color is it?  :headscratch: is it a darker yellow? or brownish/beige  :dunno:  Kinda hard to tell because the pic was taken in the dark.  IF its brown, and in good shape, I'd leave it :yesnod: 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:20:52 AM »
Red truck...beige interior....

BLACK DASH!  SHINY...I like shiny stuff.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

TurtleTappers91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Mar '07
  • ..I walks me a mudhole and I stomps it dry... baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:26:31 AM »
I'd go with black/grey.
puke color does not do it for me...

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
hot pink
4THEWKN

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »
Sorry stew, I promise I'll leave the pink dash up to you :thumbs:

I may be up for the black dash, I just wanna look into other options I haven't considered and see if something will look better than what I have now.

Nothing will clash worse than my tan/beige interior and my gray driver seat and maroon (sp) passenger seat :gap:
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
DO NOT PAINT THE DASH SHINEY!!!!!!!

the PO of my red truck decided to do that..... it was so bad that midday i couldnt see through the windshield because the dash reflected the sun straight up into my view.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »
Like this
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:05 PM »
hot pink

with purple polk-a-dots!     :gap:
I like to Drive!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:41:44 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo... no shiny dashes.  I'm a huge fan of flat colored tops, but there's no reason not to have a shiny paintjob staring back at you too!  I used to put 303 on my dashes but stopped doing it cause the glare would drive me nuts.  I'll still use it on the front on the rare occassion I clean the dash but will only clean the top with a mild cleaner and rag and leave it dull.

When I say I'm painting the dash I mean the metal dash itself, not the top pad.  If I found a top pad in good shape I'd possibly dye it as I did my old one, but there's no way I'll make it shiny  :shakehead:
RIP KYOTA

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2007, 12:09:46 AM »
I like dark greys myself.  mellow, always look kind of clean, and go with most colors.  :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 02, 2007, 12:48:45 AM »
So nobody has any input on painting the dash red?  Keep in mind I mean just the metal dash, not the top pad or trim.  However I may think it'll look I'll just never know till I shoot it and install everything. 

Dang, the more I think about it the more I lean toward buying the spray gun kit off the mac truck :pullsouthair:
RIP KYOTA

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2007, 05:53:11 PM »
hot pink

with :moon: brown pin strips   :thumbs:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2007, 09:08:51 PM »
umm i'd go   falt red... darkish red...

hmmm...  maybe even  eggplant, or some calm beige.. or even california sunfaded brick!!
Jeep

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2007, 09:20:17 PM »
Interesting.... but the only reason I was proposing red was cause I'd be painting the truck and interior already and could do the dash at the same time.  Only other option I have in the red family is a burgendy-ish color, and whatever color it ends up being will not be flat, it'll be glossy :gap:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 06, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »
So it looks like I'm snagging some plumb crazy and midnight blue fairly cheap.  Not that I'd paint the dash either color, I'm just happy to be getting a good deal on more paint!
RIP KYOTA

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 06, 2007, 12:38:53 PM »
If the truck's red and you're going to paint the interior red then I'd think a black dash would probably look best. Otherwise, I'd just spray the dash the same color as the rest of the interior  :twocents: .
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
Black probably wouldn't look too bad, but if I were to do it I'd probably go with a heavy metal flake, kinda like a bassboat!  I'm just weird that way...... and in other ways too :hammerhead:
RIP KYOTA

unclejpl4x4

• Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
CARPET TIGER STRIPS  or LEPOR PRINT
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 06, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »
You go to the strip joint too much :haha:
RIP KYOTA

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 07, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »
Go with OD, tan or grey. a color that still looks good if ya get dirt, mud, leaves and good used parts inside your truck.. as it shoud be. 
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2007, 09:58:30 PM by rn37dd »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 08, 2007, 09:32:32 AM »
If I get mud inside my truck I surely hope I don't get it on my dash :haha:  I've grown tired of trying to wedge the longbed through trails I shouldn't be on already, so I'm building this one as more of a pretty capable dd and will be building a shortbed as a more dedicated off-roader.

I'm gettin snaked on 4 of the quarts I bid on on ebay, but it looks like I'm still getting my plumb crazy.
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 09, 2007, 01:53:34 PM »
I am not above a little visual interest, but most of the time I like the interior to be as unobtrusive as possible.  I guess I'm easily distracted and would rather keep my eyes on things happening outside the vehicle than on all the pretty lights and colors inside it.  Maybe I'm just getting old.  Of course, for years I favored the African Safari Rally look and painted the hood flat black, too...

The pad ought to be dyed (not painted - use SEM vinyl dye or similar - Paint Mart has it) flat black for minimum glare.  Since you haven't thrown me a truck yet, I'm not sure what portion of dash is made of metal and can be seen with the pad and trim installed, but if you must paint it and want a unique finish, I'd suggest something like black wrinkle paint, or Hammerite in a neutral color.  Bright colors in the interior can get obnoxious in a hurry.