Author Topic: New to yota's, need lift help  (Read 2517 times)

Petzl21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 151
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
New to yota's, need lift help
« on: May 10, 2007, 06:37:29 PM »
Alright, i am new to yota's, but not to wheeling.  I just picked up an 84 runner with a 6 inch lift, so i am told (looks more like a 4 inch).  It is lift blocks in the rear, which have to go.  It is on 35x12.5 bfg m/t.  So here is where i need help.

I use to wheel a zuki, and it had a ton of flex, i had revolvers front and rear to help that.  Do they have anything like that for yota's?  What is a good kit for the rear to get?  I am no where near a rich man, so if i can build it in stages (get a good set of shackles, then springs and what not!

What are some suspension tricks?  Also, up front, i think i will see how those springs work, but i want to get a better shackle for them.  i know the whole suspension is tight, but i dont know if once i take the sway bar out, it will help up front. 

I have a good amt of work ahead of me, but i want to know what people run, and what works.  My rig is mainly a trail rig, but it see's road time, and the highway at times too.

Also, where is a good place to get some body panles.  I need fenders, replacement rockers, rear panel (where the tail lights fit in is all bashed up, and the tailgate wont open b/c of that).  You get the picture!

Well, i feel like i am starting to ramble b/c i have so many questions about my new yota!  So i will stop here, for now!!!

Thanks all, and be kind to the newbe! :haha:

DanS

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 434
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Re: New to yota's, need lift help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »
Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
You'll find your Yoda a good platform to modify and to wheel and this forum is the first place to find help, have patience and review all the posts, old and new to plan your buildup. :turtle: and Good Luck
DanS
Wow, been looking at my 4Runner rust away too long, need some inspiration and here I will find it...!

85 Toyota 4Runner, solid axle, 22Re, original paint and graphics and not a straight panel to be found!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »
is this deja vu ???

F150s  in the rear  and  get rid  of the front sway bar

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »
chevys in the rear give about 4" and give alot of flex and get fir of the sway bar
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »
RUF/Chevy 63"s

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 07:59:25 PM »
RUF/ MIXED WITH WAGGIES, REAR STOCK WITH WAGGIES, AND YOU AINT MOVING HANGERS

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »
RUF/ MIXED WITH WAGGIES, REAR STOCK WITH WAGGIES, AND YOU AINT MOVING HANGERS
if he uses rear up front then he HAS  to have histeer  :slap:  he said he was  bling-less

he already has front springs  he needs  rea springs

but yea man  mix and match,  i did mine with toy  and 2wd chevy s10 springs
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
flip ball on front,   i also was looking at ranger or rodeo springs

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »
just go all out 4 link and 4.3l :yupyup:
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 06:00:33 AM »
Yea, you are right with the no $'s, but i am def going to get a high steer.  I had one on my Zuki and loved it, so that is a mod that is in the cards!  New to yota's, like i said, so i dont know who's products are good or not!  I have only herd good things about Marlin stuff though.  I should be selling my zuki soon, so i should have a few $'s to spend on the new toy, and here is a few questions about what i need to get:

1.  A ruf, how much lift does that get?  I am not sure what brand lift is under it right now, or if it is a true 6 inch (springs up front, but not sure if the rear is just a lift block, or lift block and a small lift spring, but it is big enough to run a 35 inch mud tire).  I have to check out the springs this weekend and see what i can find.  I think i just want to keep the front springs the way they are at the moment b/c the rear is the main problem!  I have like no flex at the moment! 

2.  OTT steering, how is Trail Gears?  I ask b/c it is only $299 vs Marlin's which is $399?  Are they both a bolt on, or do i have to change the p/s box that i have (it is the stock 84 box).

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:14:20 AM »
You have to change the steering box. You need to get one from an IFS truck 86 and up. Also try not to buy anything from trail gear. Marlin is the man

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 05:18:14 PM »
I have another quick questions.  Would fenders/doors... from a 1988 2wd pickup fit on my 84 4runner?

I need body parts, and need to know what works on my truck.

thanks for the help

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:18:34 PM »
high steer done!  i wish i could say that !  as for rear springs check you'r curent pack any numbers on it could lead you to who's and how mutch lift they have then build them from there

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 05:59:52 AM »
Here are some pics:

Drivers fender and door are rough

Rear is not that bad (does this look like a 6 inch lift, those are 35 bfg m/t)

Front springs with stock shackles

Warn winch (anyone know any info on this winch, i can not make out the model number from the front, onl this on the side

Is that a stock tierod?

Rear springs with blocks.  Do they look like a lift spring, and a block, or stock springs?  They have a small amt of arch in them, so i think they are like a 2 inch lift spring with a 4 inch block.

Most of the floors look good

So, all i know is that with this lift on it right now, it does not flex at all.  i removed the sway bar, and that didnt do to much!  I want to start with the rear, and get the marlin 5inch spring (how wide are the springs).  will that get me to the same height i am at now?  Also, do i have to get the new front spring hanger, and a rear shackle hanger b/c their springs are longer, on both ends?  Does anyone run revolver shackles on the rear? 

I just sold my zuki, so i have some money to play with.  Here is what i am def going to get, the 4.7 t-case gears (it has 5.29's in the diff's already, so that will be great for crawling), the high steer (i just have to get an IFS box.  What is involved with that swap?  I will search for that, but if anyone has any good links, please pass it on), Rear springs and what ever goes along with that, and revolvers or the marlin shackles.  How flexy is the 5 inch rear kit?  Also, what size shackle should i run if i dont go with the revolvers?

For the front, i am just goning to start with getting a better shackle, b/c i dont see to much movement out of the one's on it (stock shackles i beleive).  Although i am not sure that will do it, the front is really stiff, i dont see much flex in the spring itself.

Thanks for the help, i know i have a ton of questions right now!  I just want to make sure i build it right, and get the best bang for my buck!

Cheers!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 09:31:18 AM »
to be honest  it looks  like you have maybe 4 inches of lift,   i  would  get the marlin 4 inch springs  for the front  and 5 inchers  for the back

and  yes  get the Marlin histeer,  you get what you pay for

Petzl21 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
  • Very Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 10:57:40 AM »
That is what i was thinking too!  I think i want to do the 5 inch kit from marlin.  What shackles should i get?  Should the rear one's be a bit longer than the fronts to give the rear a bit more lift?

I know you said to go with marin's high steer, is it that much better than trail gear?  I want to support the forum, and marin, but i dont want to throw extra money out when i dont need to.