Author Topic: Will a V6 third dropout go into a 4 cyl truck?  (Read 4240 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Will a V6 third dropout go into a 4 cyl truck?
« on: Apr 24, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »
A guy I know has a 3rd dropout with the gearing(and LSD) that I need.
However, it came out of a V6 style nonABS housing.  "The stronger 4 pinion" kind?

My truck is an 85 with the rear axle from an IFS.  The rear is what we're going for here...

Anyway - he says I should have the 8" ring gear, and that if I do - I'm ok.

Here it is - what do you think?

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Will a V6 third dropout go into a 4 cyl truck?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2007, 07:32:30 PM »
If it's an 8" ring gear it will work. LSD differentials are worthless once the clutch packs in them burn up.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
yes  it will bolt right in,  but  roll it over and take a pic from the other side,   

also  the carrier  looks  like a regular  open v6  carrier  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2007, 07:47:01 PM »
So - how much do you think I should pay?

I'm hurting REAL bad for some 4:88's.  Been looking for anything, really.  Open would do, 4cycl, whatever.  I just need to be able to go 4wheelin with this thing already!

So, unless someone else has one for sale, how much should I pay for this thing?

Thank you very much for helping me out here.

dime

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 159
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »
i paid 300 for one with a lockrite and 529s yukons but it was a 4 cylinder not sure what a v6 is worth
84 pu 529s locker in back 5 inch springs 36s

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:31:07 PM »
v6 is worth more than a 4cyl diff...... the v6 diff will drop into a 4cyl housing with no issue
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:38:41 PM »
You think it's worth $100 more than the 4 cyl?  I think that's what I'd be looking to pay here - $400.

Painful, but I gotta wheel.  Real killer is I just talked to a guy that sold a V6 4:88 (open) for $100-$150.  I didn't even want to confirm that he took 100, so I'll let myself think it was 150...

Oh what to do.  Don't have much time either, but you guys are a great help.

I'll be checking back here every half hour or so.  Hopefully make a decision tonight on this.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2007, 08:49:08 PM »
i dont think i would want to pay that much for it, but if you really wnat to wheel, then you need to do what you need to do.....

i spent $500 on my truck..... complete but a littel beat up with no engine

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2007, 09:12:09 PM »
Crap - not only 400, but add 60 shipping to that for a total of $460!

I'm almost at the $650 for a spooled one from Marlin, and I could drive there and pick it up myself.

What to do?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2007, 09:13:55 PM »
Crap - not only 400, but add 60 shipping to that for a total of $460!

I'm almost at the $650 for a spooled one from Marlin, and I could drive there and pick it up myself.

What to do?

at that point, i would just get a warrantied and professionally setup spool from marlin....
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007, 09:25:51 PM by jimbo74 »

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
He's asking too much :yesnod:

My rear diff blew up and it cost me $437 warrantied and professionally set up with brand new gears out the door.  :dunno:  I'd just go with marlin's or find something cheaper :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Gonna sell my 33s and 31s and buy this, I think.  Damn, I feel like I'm being had, but the truck must wheel.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Yoda Up,
What you have is a factory 4.88 diff from a V6 automatic pickup or 4 runner that has a special cast iron housing to accept the special factory gear set.
If the ring and pinion fails, it is only avaiable from the Toyota factory for around $600.00.

To make a higher gear ratio, the gear cutter must cut fewer teeth on the pinion, and more teeth on the ring gear. This results in a smaller pinion head and a thicker ring gear. However, instead of making a new thicker ring gear forging, Toyota chose to simply move the pinion location in the cast iron housing closer to the ring gear.

This is a great idea because it reduces the weight of the ring gear, but the replacement gear (with a thin style ring gear forging), can only be bought from the factory.
The common replacement 4.88 gear or any other ratio will not fit.

Marlin
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007, 11:33:32 PM by BigMike »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Wow Marlin, I never knew this :working: :grad: :idea: :eyebrow:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Marlin, you are a toyota encyclopedia.                     MARLIN
                                                       :respect:
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info there, Marlin.

How you doing by the way?  Hope all is well.
Incase you forgot - I'm the guy that bought an HD tranny from you a while back, and when I needed to get lunch - you let me borrow your 4runner.  I washed it before I brought it back.  :)

Next time the wife and I head to Kings Canyon, we'll bring ya'll some brownies.

;)

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Thanks for the reply, and I trust the "H/D" is still spinning.....

We are all hanging in there and working just as hard as we can.
I have been working on learning my Solid Works program and new products in-between shop needs.
I have a great group of guys and we all get along great.
Tuesday morning, my wife and I will be leaving to go to Cruise Moab.
Just got back early this morning after driving my truck with Big Mike from the Tin Benders Johnston Valley clean up run.
It is 6 hours one way and we had a great time.

Did you ever get the diff?
Before you install it, using one hand to hold the diff housing and pinion from turning, place your other hand on the ring gear/carrier assembly and carefully rotate it backwards and forwards so as to feel the backlash in the gearset. Make a mental note as to the feel and then remove the 12mm head bolt and locking tag on the ring gear side cap only, and by using a hammer with a dull drift, proceed to rotate the adjusting wheel clockwise untill it tightens up. Do not unloosen the 17mm bearing cap bolts.
You will probably turn the wheel 2 to 3 notches which will preload the carrier and tighten up the backlash. This will prolong the life of the gearset. You do not need to beat up the adjuster wheel or overtighten the carrier bearings. You will know when the excessive end play is removed and the wheel stops turning.
You will then notice that the backlash will be much less [it must have at least .005"] and then rotate the pinion to make sure it still spins free in both directions.
Dont foget to install the retainer clip and bolt.

Let us know when you are heading this way again, so I can take you out to dinner....

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Right on Marlin.

That's definately something I would not have done on my own.  I'm printing the page because I'm sure I'll have to read it again when I get the diff(it's in the mail).

Thanks again, for everything.  We'll surely see you soon.

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
me and abuddy pick a complete front ifs and rear chunk for 500 the other day with 4.88s out of a v6. just lookout for the sensor hole on the top of the rear chunk. fill it with weld.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Yota Up [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
olemisstoy88 - I'll be sure to look for that when it arrives.  And while it hurts to hear stories of better deals, the truth is I don't have the luxury of a huge network of friends - and it hurts a lot more to not be able to wheel it.  Congrats on your deal.

Now I just need to get these shocks mounted and this baby will be bouncing off the rocks!

Ya'll are great.  Thanks for everything.  If any of you sees me out there, stop by and accept a cold one from me, will ya?