Author Topic: Need Help Engine Related  (Read 2667 times)

Loki

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Dec '06
  • What are you lookin' at?
    • View Profile
Need Help Engine Related
« on: Apr 19, 2007, 05:58:38 PM »
My roommate has an 85' EFI 22REC 4runner and were trying to find a place in the northern california / bay area (sac, elk grove, vallejo, auburn, fresno) We are needing to get his truck fixed.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop that can give a fair price and doesn't D**K people around with the money. The truck is currently at Yota Masters and they are wanting to charge 2200 dollars to do piston rings, no honing of the cylinders, replace crank bearings. they said they are going to do this from the bottom end up without pulling the head. they do not plan to replace the timing chain. The labor per hour quoted was 80 dollars an hour and they quoted for 12 hours. I know a master rebuild kit from LC Engineering is around 700 for this engine. So our first instinct when hearing this quote is that it was a little hokie dokie if you know what i mean the labor alone is around 1000 bucks...960 to be exact and they aren't doing a full rebuild so where do they get the other 1240 bucks from?

We need to find a shop fast so if any one in our area can help out, i'd appreciate the lead on a good shop. Thanks.

Jack
88 turd SAS with some "stuff" under it.
MY BUILD UP THREAD

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Need Help Engine Related
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:22:04 PM »
get that truck out of there NOW,  he's jerkin  your chain,  you CANNOT   pull the pistons  out  the bottom of a 22R/RE

contact Bigmike,  they  have a  automotive "partner"  that does this sort of thing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:36:02 PM »
thanks glen...i'll hit him up

i mean i'll pick up the rebuild kit from LC Eng. and have someone do the work, but i don't want to get screwed around...it just seemed like that guy was trying to replace blinker fluid with a left handed hammer. i'll shoot big mike a pm
MY BUILD UP THREAD

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
$2200, You can buy a rebuilt 22re for less than that and change it out yourself.

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2007, 07:23:05 PM »
and for 1300 more i can get a new lc engine. i'm just trying to figure out what the whole 2200 is all about. hopefully BigMike will toss me a lead
MY BUILD UP THREAD

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:04:06 PM »
Loki, RAM auto in sacramento does good work.  I was sent to them by Brandon, one of the mods here on the board.  Their machine shop is very capable, I don't know if you can take the whole truck to them, but they'll rebuild the motor :thumbs: 
Had my heads redone by them after blowing a head gasket, got them back 2 days after I dropped them off, and cost me 250 out the door :thumbs:

Ram Auto Parts & Machine Shop
(916) 372-3636

2531 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
Loki, RAM auto in sacramento does good work.  I was sent to them by Brandon, one of the mods here on the board.  Their machine shop is very capable, I don't know if you can take the whole truck to them, but they'll rebuild the motor :thumbs: 
Had my heads redone by them after blowing a head gasket, got them back 2 days after I dropped them off, and cost me 250 out the door :thumbs:

Ram Auto Parts & Machine Shop
(916) 372-3636

2531 Evergreen Ave
West Sacramento, CA 95691

Thanks Black dog...maybe i'll give them a call as well. We have a few local leads as well. The truck is able to move on it's own power and it runs like a raped ape, but as strong as it runs, it won't pass smog, and that's a problem in Cali. I appreciate the post and i'll post up what we find.

Jack
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2007, 12:31:23 PM »
I just got a rebuilt 22re for $1350 + 150 for core.  That's all new parts!  Look for my Project Kilchis buildup thread.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
Davis auto about 20 minutes from here has a rebuilt 22re for 1300 no core install for 850...i think that is the route as of right now...still haven't called all over the place yet. I'll check your thread cheesemaker
MY BUILD UP THREAD

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
I got my motor from a local in my town, but if you get the local nickel ads like we got around here, there are tons of places to get rebuilds.  Just check with the local BBB on their background!  Good luck!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
Right now all I could recommend in terms of a reputable shop is Marlin's auto shop, "Marlin and Tony's Automotive." It is a Seventh Day Adventist operated business with very good workers. They have been in business since 1984 and have just moved into a brand new building here in Fresno, CA.

Call Tony at: (559) 252-1584. They close early on Fridays to observe the Sabbath.

I know of a Toyota tech (who works at a local dealership) who does side jobs who would be interested in this job.

Let me know what you decide to do,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
and for 1300 more i can get a new lc engine. i'm just trying to figure out what the whole 2200 is all about. hopefully BigMike will toss me a lead

What its about is known as RIP OFF!!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
. The truck is able to move on it's own power and it runs like a raped ape, but as strong as it runs, it won't pass smog, and that's a problem in Cali.
Jack

Runs strong and won't pass smog?

What fails?

H.C
C.O
O2?
?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
My roommate has an 85' EFI 22REC 4runner and were trying to find a place in the northern California / bay area (sac, elk grove, Vallejo, auburn, Fresno) We are needing to get his truck fixed.

Does anyone know of a reputable shop that can give a fair price and doesn't D**K people around with the money. The truck is currently at Yota Masters and they are wanting to charge 2200 dollars to do piston rings, no honing of the cylinders, replace crank bearings. they said they are going to do this from the bottom end up without pulling the head. they do not plan to replace the timing chain. The labor per hour quoted was 80 dollars an hour and they quoted for 12 hours. I know a master rebuild kit from LC Engineering is around 700 for this engine. So our first instinct when hearing this quote is that it was a little hokie dokie if you know what i mean the labor alone is around 1000 bucks...960 to be exact and they aren't doing a full rebuild so where do they get the other 1240 bucks from?

We need to find a shop fast so if any one in our area can help out, i'd appreciate the lead on a good shop. Thanks.

Jack

i have a friend that owns a very reputable machine shop, i have seen the engines he builds for others and the kind of times they run... some of them are running 7s on the strip, so i know his work holds up..... TECH Machine in livermore..... i have a picture of her personal race car when i used to pit crew for him, here is my huge butt in his car, ha ha, i could barely fit inside and almost couldn't get out.... -- not sure if he works on yotas or not, although i wouldn't see why not... but i know he wont remove or install the engine, you have to basically bring him the engine and drop it off, he does have equipment to get it out of your truck though

http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/503/4019meinhiscar.jpg
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2007, 07:44:06 AM »
Cheesemaker - We tried the local adds, but drawing up blanks...like i said davis which is like 30 minutes (If that) - has a rebuilt smog legal 22re for 1300 and they'll throw it in for 850... The labor was way better than yota masters plus the engine has some goodies adjustable cam, and they deck the head hone the cylinders yada yada yada...looks like a good deal.

Big Mike - If he doesn't decide to just buy a new engine, we might take you up on that. Marlin tinkered with some adustments on Lagens truck a while back and the truck runs great...now if we get the runner going, that would be the heat. I'll definately keep this number.

Toy Guy - nothing sounded right about yota masters...they wanted to charge 960 for the labor, but they couldn't explain the parts costs or breakdown at all and it didn't even seem like they were going to replace much. it sounded like they were going to go the quick route, pocket some money and over charge for labor.

Brainlessfool - I'm not exactly sure what it failed for...i don't have the results of the smog, but i know he said it was running lean...they'd pull the plugs and there was white residue on them, now it's not for some reason...but the plugs were pulled and their's oil on them...i'll see if lagen can clarify a bit on the results of the smog. It has been in and out of shops for a while now. about a year ago when he first got it i drove it to the store and it had 35's stock transfer gears with 4.88's in the diffs and that thing will just take off like nobody's business. I think they were going to provide a certificate and then he'd be stuck with his...well truck that won't pass smog. Here's a thread from a while back about the smog issues
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29989.0

I don't know what he's decided, but i'm sure he'll chime in. I really appreciate everyone hooking me up with some contacts and options...

Thanks
Jack
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007, 07:53:29 AM by Loki »
MY BUILD UP THREAD

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2007, 09:41:29 AM »
Toy Guy - nothing sounded right about yota masters...they wanted to charge 960 for the labor, but they couldn't explain the parts costs or breakdown at all and it didn't even seem like they were going to replace much. it sounded like they were going to go the quick route, pocket some money and over charge for labor.

Like I said RIP OFF, If I were you I'd buy that engine and put it in my self. Hell if I were close I'd do it for ya for $350.

Loki [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
i could do the install...i just don't have a hoist or a stand. sams club has a hoist for 189.00 and harbor freight sells stands for around 100 but it's not up to me...like i said i'm inquiring for my roommate. he tried to post earlier, but after writing about 2 pages worth, the forum deleted his message somehow while he was posting and he got frustrated. we've been productive though...looking for some build in the next day by me or lagen in the toyota build-up forum
MY BUILD UP THREAD