Author Topic: heard a rumor about 63 chevies and floping your rig.  (Read 3925 times)

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
heard a rumor about 63 chevies and floping your rig.
« on: Apr 14, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
some one said to me the other day when i told them ( hey im putting chevy springs on my toyota they said( dont do that the spring rate is not good for a toyota and will actually bounce the rig over!)     is there any validity to thid.  i was p[laning on running  some 3 inch lifted procomp springs that i aqquired cheep.  but if this is the cas i would  be more inclined to buy marlins springs.  i have some 44044  front spings and some 6 inch alcan front springs havent decided what ro run yet.  im still getting the engine installed.  but i am looking for feed back.  i already bought the sky chevy install kit!!!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
i  have been runnin them for 6years and i have yet to flop. i think the dual shackles would cause you to flop more easily due to unexpected unloading.

Drew
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
The only place I can see that chevys would cause something like that to happen would be like Drew mentioned, with the dual shackle. Even then its not likely it would cause you to flip over, it would need a hell of a lot of preload to cause you to roll. Sometimes the rear end hops if you are riding rocks like a buckin' bronco but its not signifigant what so ever. Install the chevys and enjoy, i couldnt be happier with mine.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I don't think you could get enough compression on chevies to have the decompression flip a rig. 

Chevies are pretty much a tried and true way of getting cheap flex out of a toy. :thumbs:
i  have been runnin them for 6years and i have yet to flop. i think the dual shackles would cause you to flop more easily due to unexpected unloading.

Drew

:yupyup: had mine in for 4, and I haven't been running rear shocks for the last 2 years, and I haven't even come close... well, not where it would be the spring's fault
:yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Nope, not true.... all mu buddies at home have been running 63's since you could buy them, and none of them have flopped. Has it happened, i am sure, but prolly not because of the 63's

military_stang
:respect:

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
right on that is what i was thinking.   ill brobably just run them with a traction bar and call it good.  thanks for the input guys.  hey blackdog.  someone told me you where in or trying to get in the fire service is that true??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
right on that is what i was thinking.   ill brobably just run them with a traction bar and call it good.  thanks for the input guys.  hey blackdog.  someone told me you where in or trying to get in the fire service is that true??

Yep. sure am.  Been testing wherever they'll let me in the door, one of these days I'll get picked up :crossed:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
I was talking to a bud of mine yesterday while we were ripping apart my 3rd and he said running 63" chevs and Revolvers have a tendency of putting you on your lid. But just running 63's are a good way to go. He also mentioned something about running dodge rears because of a more forward center pin.
Starting from scratch again...

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
i would think a farther rear center pin would allow for more stability cuz of a longer wheel base

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
wouldnt a more forward (to the front of the truck) reduce wheelbase?

as for the revolvers, there are many people the run this with great sucess, some people said they tried it and hated it.... from what i have seen, a lot of people complain about botched setups that dont know how to drive
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

as for the revolvers, there are many people the run this with great sucess, some people said they tried it and hated it.... from what i have seen, a lot of people complain about botched setups that dont know how to drive

:yesnod: 

-Ronald Reagan

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile

:yesnod: 
I said it before and I'll say it again...."there is no amount of technology or R and D that can completely overcome the human element."  People need to stop blaming the equipment for their mistakes. Surely, a bad set up won't make for an easy to handle rig but it's still up to the operator to know where that rig's limit is.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
i ran dual shackles for years and i flopped my truck many times.  in no way was it the springs fault.  i take credit for all of them.  mine never unloaded on me.

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
I was talking to a bud of mine yesterday while we were ripping apart my 3rd and he said running 63" chevs and Revolvers have a tendency of putting you on your lid. But just running 63's are a good way to go. He also mentioned something about running dodge rears because of a more forward center pin.

you can probably flip the springs around so that the shorter pin length is at the rear, mount them so the axle is in the same location = you get the same wheelbase with longer spring for articulation but doesn't stick out as far in the back as the chevy's

sounds like an idea :twocents:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

lees 94 yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Buy it, Build It, Beat the hell out of it
    • View Profile
I have been running those 63's for 3 years and have never had a problem with them unloading on me when i have flopped that is because of my unconservative driving not the spring's fault. They also flex fairly well when set up right :thumbs:
If u don't succeed the first try, hammer it the second try

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
shorter pin length is at the rear, mount them so the axle is in the same location = you get the same wheelbase with longer spring for articulation but doesn't stick out as far in the back as the chevy's
  anyone done this?  that sounds like an excellent idea?  i mean they would still flex the same way but they wouldnt stick out like how everyone complains about anyway.      anyone done it???

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
i'm wondering the same thing  :yupyup:
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
The springs are off a 90's dodge 1/2 ton truck. heres what he said. "my old runner i ran 90's 63" dodge half ton springs which have a offset center pin 2 or 3 " which allowed me to put the shorter end towards the rear and only relocate the rear spring hangar about 1 inch for the proper shackle angle which let me bob the runner more than with the chevies this type may be more of what you looking for to keep the back end short...."
Let me tell you this guy knows what he's talking about, He has a complete wall of rigs he's built from Zuki's to Yota's. So its another option other then the chevies.
Starting from scratch again...

robrub00 [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
who  are you talking about im cofused? who is "this guy knows what he's talking about, He has a complete wall of rigs he's built from Zuki's to yota's. So its another option other then the chevies. "

edit...ok i follow now. i had to read your post overagain i was confused.  i will look into it,  but i am not bobing my 4runner.   
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007, 09:40:56 PM by robrub00 »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
The springs are off a 90's dodge 1/2 ton truck. heres what he said. "my old runner i ran 90's 63" dodge half ton springs which have a offset center pin 2 or 3 " which allowed me to put the shorter end towards the rear and only relocate the rear spring hangar about 1 inch for the proper shackle angle which let me bob the runner more than with the chevies this type may be more of what you looking for to keep the back end short...."
Let me tell you this guy knows what he's talking about, He has a complete wall of rigs he's built from Zuki's to Yota's. So its another option other then the chevies.

But if you do that, then you have to move the front mount even further forward.  I can see this being somewhat helpful if you're going to bob the bed, but a 63" spring is a 63" spring.  You've got to make up the mounting difference somewhere.  I'm not sure I would want my front spring hanger any farther forward than it is right now, but mabye thats just me :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
I wheeled my 87 runner for the first time yesterday at Hollister  :rara: :dancing: :rara: I have 63's & a dual shackle. I didn't have a problem going through the trails. I even had to top on so you know I was top heavy. I never felt like it was going to flop & we were on some off camber stuff. I had the same setup on my 83 & never had a problem either. Driver error is what I say  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Ah, To add to the myth!  (Wonder if Myth busters can do testing for us?)  We've got one toy in our group who runs double shackles.  He has been on his side the most.  All soft flops.  While we can't attribute it solely to the shackles, it does make most of us in the group go  "hummmmmm".

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
a lot of it is driving finesse or lack thereof..
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

rude86

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 257
  • Member since Sep '05
  • if it aint broke you arnt trying hard enough
    • View Profile
i ran dual shackles for years and i flopped my truck many times.  in no way was it the springs fault.  i take credit for all of them.  mine never unloaded on me.

x2 i put my last truck over many times but it wasn't my springs fault...  i liked my 63"s they worked good.
member of team marlin crawler

4x4Haze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 337
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
i run 63's front and rear and it hasnt failed me yet
A jumper cable walks into a bar. The bartender says, "I'll serve you, but dont start anything."

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
As soon as I put my 63's on and bolted up the axle, the truck just rolled right over. It didn't even let me get it out of the driveway.

When it comes to 63's or double shackles, it's all driver....

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
As soon as I put my 63's on and bolted up the axle, the truck just rolled right over. It didn't even let me get it out of the driveway.

When it comes to 63's or double shackles, it's all driver....
So, what you're saying Mini is it was fine until you jumped in and the truck started to play dead?  :rofl2:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
So, what you're saying Mini is it was fine until you jumped in and the truck started to play dead?  :rofl2:
exactly! :talkingn:

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile