Author Topic: need ideas and advice for a new project!!!  (Read 3164 times)

hytech_redneck

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
need ideas and advice for a new project!!!
« on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
Well I just sold my 94 4runner because I was just replacing too many parts and I was tired of the IFS CRAP!!!

Anyways I have plans for a 95-01 cherokee. Now the area I need the advice in is where should I start? Should I get a stock truck and go from there. Or should I get something with stuff already done. Now keep in mind I want this to be a sturdy offroader/rockcrawler, ut it also has to be my every day driver and I have baby girl on the way... so it has to be safe! My questions are about stock axles.... I am somewhat new to the offroading scene as i have only been doing it for a year and with ifs suspension. Do I need to get stronger dana axles or are stocks ok. and about lockers I will ned them i know, but what brand? airlockers/ e-lockers? I want to get a 6.5 lift, but I not sure what i need to get max flex? long arm or whatever. Obviously I need help in all catagories! lol  anyways I am sure i can figure out the bumpers and rocksliders on my own I may get a tire carrier and a roof rack as well. My main cocern is the mechanical questions as I do not have experience or even knowall the terminoligy involved with getting the right rig set-up.

Any help will be appreciated!!!  thank!

kyle

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: need ideas and advice for a new project!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »
you sold your toy? !? :tantrum:

you know about this right? http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=40.0

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »
sounds to me like tou sold the toy becouse you didn't want to work on it and now you are buying a jeep so you can work on it. That just don't make sence to me! Go buy a blingin off the shelf lift and then get a shop to install it and a bunch of other mods to help ya on the trail. I just hope your not broke on the trail i'm on, couse i like helping out other wheelers, just not the ones who don't know how to fix there stuff.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007, 07:52:42 PM »
sounds to me like tou sold the toy becouse you didn't want to work on it and now you are buying a jeep so you can work on it. That just don't make sence to me! Go buy a blingin off the shelf lift and then get a shop to install it and a bunch of other mods to help ya on the trail. I just hope your not broke on the trail i'm on, couse i like helping out other wheelers, just not the ones who don't know how to fix there stuff.
yea this idea is off to a bad start
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2007, 05:55:30 PM »
thanks guys. these comments are really demoralizing. I would appreciate some advice not judgement. I am obviously teying to learn. You guys all had to start somewhere as well. I am new and need help.  Next time please just let the topic be if you don't agree with it.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
thanks guys. these comments are really demoralizing. I would appreciate some advice not judgement. I am obviously teying to learn. You guys all had to start somewhere as well. I am new and need help.  Next time please just let the topic be if you don't agree with it.
sorry didnt mean it that way.....

good luck with your build.....:beerchug:
RIP KYOTA

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
could have just done a SAS a lift tires gears and a locker and you would have been good to go. You are probably going to have to swap the jeep axles out depending on what tire size you run so either way you are going to have to do work on it, or you could have bought something else that is done my  :twocents: but good luck. there is a jeep section, see what they are doing. Shouldn't have gotten rid of the toy  :hammerhead: oh well you do what you want!  :thumbs:
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
sorry! Its easy to forget how hard it was to get started.

I wheel with alot of jeep guys and it seems the best route to start at is some 33s with a mild lift and mabye some coil spacers. Alot of them run a lockright in there rear dana 35 axles.
The dana 30 front has a couple options as far as stock type axle shafts. 1st there are the u-joint axles and 2nd there are the cv type axles. A couple of them run the cv axles becouse you can still move the vehicle after breaking unlike with the u-joint axles which usually spread out and destroy the ball joints. There are aftermarket options like 30 spline front axles and even larger axle shafts for the rear but it seems like an axle swap to a dana 44 or bigger is the best solution to beefing a cherokee.
You have got a good powerplant in that thing if ya have the 4.0 inline six.

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:51:05 PM »

Thats pretty richard dude. hes asking for advise , so give him advice. dont be an ass. he never said he couldnt work on it he said he was tired of constantly working on it. you hear the word jeep and you think hes going to build a mall crawler. sounds like he wants to build a reliable wheeler.

Anyways, personally id get another toy, but jeeps cherokees are nice too. i dont know much about them but i think they have dana 30's???? im not sure. if thats the case id put some dana 44's under it. i think some of them had motor or tranny problems so id look in to that.

Good luck with the build and congrats on the baby
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

Big Bob

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Hippies suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:53:15 PM »
Hey

I prefer air lockers even though they are a little bit more money. They are great for a rig you drive to the trail because you can air up tires after your done wheelin for the trip home.

As for sellin the yota, you coulld have done a sas no problem as long as you can weld! I'm doin one right now and its not as hard as it seems

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:54:38 PM »
there you go gittinit. way to be helpful
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »
sorry! Its easy to forget how hard it was to get started.

I wheel with alot of jeep guys and it seems the best route to start at is some 33s with a mild lift and mabye some coil spacers. Alot of them run a lockright in there rear dana 35 axles.
The dana 30 front has a couple options as far as stock type axle shafts. 1st there are the u-joint axles and 2nd there are the cv type axles. A couple of them run the cv axles becouse you can still move the vehicle after breaking unlike with the u-joint axles which usually spread out and destroy the ball joints. There are aftermarket options like 30 spline front axles and even larger axle shafts for the rear but it seems like an axle swap to a dana 44 or bigger is the best solution to beefing a cherokee.
You have got a good powerplant in that thing if ya have the 4.0 inline six.
This is a good start  :thumbs: OR you could just wheel it like it is till you start breaking stuff  :gap: or find yourself limited by your equipment  :shudder:. As you get into wheeling and get braver with every trip then upgrade your rig to match your driving skills and style. Remember, if it ain't broke don't fix it. By then, hopefully, you will have seen enough rigs like yours to know for yourself what you really want or what you're willing to tackle as far as mods go  :flamer:. Either way I always encourage people to build what they like. Good luck with your project. Heck, if anything, wheeling a stock rig will learn ya some good stuff and let you build your creativity in driving style and let you find out how good you are behind the wheel  :driving:. Ask yourself, are you up to the challenge?  :usa:

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »
all the advice helps guys thanks so much! I have shopped arund and have thought of a less mileage 2nd gen runner or even a 3rd gen runner. I hear you can get a 2wd 3rd gen and sas it. I have seen one and it looks pretty good. the thing with me thinking about the jeep is money. I will have about 9 grand to buy the truck and do what i want. I figured i could find a cherokee 95-01 for 3-4 thousand and modify the hell out of it. But I am a toyota guy at heart so I may go back depending on what I find.   anyways maybe even advice on a complete build with a 9 thousand dollar budget.

What would it cost to get an sas job done on a 2nd gen runner?

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2007, 05:40:13 AM »
there you go gittinit. way to be helpful
Yea... I did that like an hour before you posted. :dunno:

The dana 30 front is a bit weak but the axles are super easy to change. With a battery operated impact my jeep friends can change an axle in less than ten minutes, from the breakage to closing the door to drive to the next obisticle.
They make for a great low buck wheeler!

Have you considered picking up an older toy just for wheeling? My toyota started as a second rig with my first being my dd and weekend play toy. Going about things this way have really allowed me to tinker and learn as time and money permitted. I was also not afraid to play hard becouse I knew I didn't have to depend on it to get me to and from. :twocents:

my favorite places:

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:32:14 PM »
Yea... I did that like an hour before you posted. :dunno:

It was ten mins. im a hella slow typer. oh well

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »
My toyota started as a second rig with my first being my dd and weekend play toy. Going about things this way have really allowed me to tinker and learn as time and money permitted. I was also not afraid to play hard becouse I knew I didn't have to depend on it to get me to and from. :twocents:
That is exactly how mine started. I was wheelin my daily driver Dodge Dakota on 35's and it was bound to get messed up after a while, so the wife suggested I get a POS truck to wheel in, little did she know it was going to be built like it is, she thought I would just wheel it stock! :talkingn:

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »

It was ten mins. im a hella slow typer. oh well

I was just kidding with ya!  :gap: After I posted the first response I went back and read it later and thought ....Damn that was mean! So I called a jeeper friend and asked how or what he would do. The response you quoted is my personal experiance and probably what I would do again.

my favorite places:

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
well guys I am back in the toyota world now. Mind mind is racing with ideas! I am thinking a 2wd 3rd gen. maybe 96-99 and doing an sas. My old buddy shoyrtt gave me the idea. I saw this build up post and fell in love. hopefully this can all be done in my 9 grand budget or it will sit unfinished and I will be hiking until i can afford to finish it. any ideas on what i can do to meet my budget?  i have to get tires,wheels, the truck itself and get all the parts.

check out this build up!!!!!      http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459214

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
Any updates? :) Getting much sleep these days with the new addition. :red_eyes:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
yeah sleep is definatly a little bit hard to come by, but I am managing it well. She was born 8 weeks premature. We ad complications to begin with but she is doing very well now. she was born 3 pounds 9 ounces and now she is about 6 and a half pounds. anyways all is well And i have not made any progress on the project. I have had other priorities, but I will get there.

thanks for the message. it was good to hear from you

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »
yeah sleep is definatly a little bit hard to come by, but I am managing it well. She was born 8 weeks premature. We ad complications to begin with but she is doing very well now. she was born 3 pounds 9 ounces and now she is about 6 and a half pounds. anyways all is well And i have not made any progress on the project. I have had other priorities, but I will get there.

thanks for the message. it was good to hear from you

I'm glad to hear the baby is doing well and you are getting a little sleep.  :yesnod: After four kids (with two "preemies") I know what you are going through. :ack: If you need any help, let me know. ;)

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2007, 07:13:48 PM »
3rd gen 4runner sweet, get starded allredy i want to see this thing.
as for some help, frist get a 4 runner with a 3.4l v6 and a r150 manual transmtion, then get a V6 Adapter Plate form marlin that will alow you to bolt up a pre 1994 gear drivan transfercase (you can use that for a dual T/C setup to). from thare i would SAS it but first befor i go on what kinda fab skills you got and what tools do you have acses to
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
im a wood worker and cabinet maker i have pretty much zero access to mechanical tools. I dont think my plainer and belt sander are gonna do the trick lol.      I will have to either find someone with the tools and know how  or have the thing done. will put a big dent in my pocket and im sure i will lose respect if it is not done on my own.

it could still be a bit before i start i have to sell my truck and i am having trouble convincing my wife that it is a good idea to sell my truck for a toy

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
and im sure i will lose respect if it is not done on my own.

it could still be a bit before i start i have to sell my truck and i am having trouble convincing my wife that it is a good idea to sell my truck for a toy
I am "Mr. Pencil Pusher" by day so don't worry about the "respect" issue.  :blah: Obviously your priority should be family. :yesnod:  Once you are comfortable, then start the build. In the meantime, if you can get away from changing diapers, I have an extra seat for you! :thumbs:

hytech_redneck [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
hey if i get enough advanced notice i can get away. i would love to go wheelin with you.  let me know what you got goin'

thanks      my email is lundeky@yahoo.com