Author Topic: transmission noise  (Read 3116 times)

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
transmission noise
« on: Mar 22, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »
hey everybody,
A few months ago in the winter after tearing up a mud hole :eyebrow: i still had my hubs locked and my transmission was making a weird jingly noise almost like small keys on a key ring. its really hard to describe but it sounds like something loose and spinning. 
it went away and now its back even in 2 wheel drive. I noticed when I wiggle the shifter back and fourth in neutral it makes the noise. where there first place i should look in identifying the problem? pull off the top cover and see whats going on in there? I bought some new (badly needed) tranny fluid, so while its drained I guess (havent done it yet) Ill pull the top cover off and take a lookie loo.  Ive never had my top cover off before. I will new need a new gasket, yes?
anything you guys can help me out with is AWESOME as I have never dealt with my transmission. I can give you more info about the problem too. Biggest thing is just the noise. Nothing feels any different as far as I can tell.
Tim

fun fact #1:  my first marlin crawler part was a new heavy duty shifter seat :turtle:
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Re: transmission noise
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2007, 04:22:24 AM »
more info what year truck, 4runner or pu, what trany if ya know.   ;)
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

fullthrottle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2007, 04:23:56 AM »
 :smack: let me geuss an 82 pickup
SASed 94 pu- marlin crawler 4'' springs, 5.29s aussie R lockright F 30spline longs , crawler box and 37'' SSR's

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
Not alot of help here.  But have you checked the simple stuff yet?

I've had a "jingle" noise before and it was the exhaust clamp (the one that clamps the exhaust to a bracket on the tranny) come loose and it would jingling.   :santa:    I've heard the dust shields on the tranny flange can come loose and could cause a similar noise.    Sorry, that's all I got.

And for fullthrottle, an '82 and "pulling" the top cover, it's going to be an L series tranny. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
and yes there is a gasket when you pull the top cover off. if you dont replace it, it will leak. and while you are at it, you should replace the plastic ball joint in there as well. its another type of gasket that lies on the underside of the shifter. that will help with some slop in the shifter. the noise- well if you have lots of little metal pieces coming out, you might be buying a new tranny. is it the 4 speed? i had to replace mine too. it was making a whurring noise when in gear, didint matter if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive. its just a matter of time...
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

toolman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2007, 12:51:58 PM »
I have that on mine. It is the seal cover on the driveshaft output. Looks like a little cup, supposed to be staked on but they come loose frequently. Just look at where your rear driveshaft connects and you will see the cover behind the flange, just wiggle it and see if it is loose.
'82 yota work in progress
33x12.50's
Fuel Injection
4" lift
flat bed
x-over steering
full float rear
L52HD
LC engineering pro

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
yes its an 82  :smack: :smack: :smack:
5 speed
i now have power steering :beer: (and factory a/c). yes, its an sr5.

i know about the flange on the back. that was really loose once upon a time. god damn those things are hard to stake!!! i was beating it with a crowbar and sledge hammer just to try and stake it.

i havent really had a lot of time to go around and under the truck and see whats loose...but i have definatley thought about it. i think ive gone over and retightened every single nut/bolt/screw existing on this truck. most everything was loose when i bought it.

the reason i dont think its something loose and vibrating is because when i wiggle the shifter left and right in neutral it makes the same noise.  its quiet enough to not hear unless the window is down. i can only wiggle it and hear it when the truck is off, but thats because i have straight 2.25 pipes with a magnaflow and its loud inside the cab.

both plastic things were replaced that have to do with the shifter. the ball cup that goes on the end and the seat.
i just replaced the tranny oil yesterday and there was only miniscule metal bits on the magnetic drain plug. Nothing abnormal.  my tranny does whir in gear though :( especially 5th gear on the freeway! not at all really in 1-4.

there isnt very much on this truck i havent gone over and am framiliar with.  althought i havent built it from the ground up into a "finished" crawler its been given hundreds and hundreds of hours of work. hundreds of hours is a conservative estimate too. i have built a lot to make it trail ready. needs lockers now. thats a lot of freakin hours considering i am in high school and i have a full-time girlfriend. by the way today is our 1 year anaversary :love: i done bought her a purdy ring!
sorry i like to talk a lot lol

thanks for the help guys
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2007, 02:14:24 PM »
i think you jinxed me cause now i have that same noise, i tightened my transmission bolts, which were a bit loose, but my exhaust was loose. which was causing most of that noise. those no gasket type metal crimps had some loose. i also checked my transfer case oil and it was a bit low. now that i topped it off the sound has just about gone away. but remember the tranny is 25 years old, thats what i keep telling myself anyway. these trucks are almost bulletproof...where can you find a main drive train that is 25 years old, that has taken a beating and is still ticking besides a yota? no where!
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
unless you REALLY  know  what you are doing DONT  pull the top off that tranny,  :nonono: 

and NEVER   hit ANY  part  with a freekin sledgehammer  :idiot:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2007, 10:16:33 PM »
unless you REALLY  know  what you are doing DONT  pull the top off that tranny,  :nonono: 

and NEVER   hit ANY  part  with a freekin sledgehammer  :idiot:

Really your not supposed to do that? haha ;)
Starting from scratch again...

82 HiLux [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:59:48 PM »
thats why I didnt pull it! I know how trannys work and whatnot but Ive never taken one apart myself.  The jingle went 80% away since I put new tranny fluid in.  Did I mention how f@#&ing frustrating it is the put fluid in the tranny? Took me about an hour after draining to get it full. Eventually I found a plunger sucker thingy that I could suck oil out of the bottle and inject it into the hole. Gear oil was E V E R Y  W H E R E afterwards.

I wasnt hitting just anything with the sledge hammer. In specific I was hitting the butt of a crowbar, which was very carefully placed in a spot on the ring on the back of my tcase to be staked.  Its not like I was just beating the crap out of it. Although I thought about it :_order:.  It surprises me how good of shape my transmission is in 220k miles old and going through as many owners as it has (I have no idea how many).  I sure got a smokin deal on this truck. All its missing now is about 100 horsepower. Im gonna go start a thread about motor options for myself. so long.

oh ya....anybody got a spare 22re head/intake/exhaust gasket? I need to replace my head gasket  :willynilly: