Author Topic: Bolt In Cages?  (Read 4392 times)

Yota Tony

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
Bolt In Cages?
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
I'm looking at a bolt in cage for my 82. Now both Marlin and All Pro sell one from what I know, what about any other venders?
Would the Marlin/All Pro (it looks like the same bloody cage to me except All Pro wants more for it) be a good basis to build off of?
I know that when/if I use said cage I will add a dash bar, use an X-brace in the roof instead of the center brace they provide and X-brace in the rear. I'll also tie it in to the frame because what's the point of a cage if it's not tied to the frame?

Lastly, if anyone has used this bolt in cage, what's the head room like? I'm 6'4" so I don't have a ton of room in the truck as is and I don't want to be beating my head off padded tube on the trail. If the head room is dismal, I'll just have to cough up the cash for DOM and build my own cage.

Thanks!
Anthony

Looking For 82-83 Hilux - Must Be 5spd, able to run and drive, Square headlights and no rust!
82 Build - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31283 - Dead

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Bolt In Cages?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »
I'm 6'4" using the Allpro/Marlin cage with no headroom problems, in a regular cab.

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 03:06:14 PM »
I'm 6'4" using the Allpro/Marlin cage with no headroom problems, in a regular cab.

Awesome, same as me.

Thanks.
Anthony

Looking For 82-83 Hilux - Must Be 5spd, able to run and drive, Square headlights and no rust!

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
i have one and have added a rear cage to it and cross bar and attached to frame and it works great. We installed an allpro cage in my friends 93' bolt in only and he rolled it at about 40 MPH cage worked well....truck not so well. he is 6'2 and fits with no prob.

4XFlyin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 541
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »
I am pulling my Smitty Built cage out of my 82 in about 3-4 weeks. It has an added cross bar in the back for seat harnesses. I am asking 120.00 for it, but I will not ship it. I am located in West Hills, CA if you are interested.
82 1st Gen with 4.3L vortec and 4l60e. Linked front and rear

My build up. Getting linked
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50700.msg711361#msg711361

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:17:28 PM »

Mini, how in the hell do you fit in a reg cab with a cage?  I got on a 2nd gen regular cab, and could barely get my legs in, not to mention the crossbar that was right at eyelevel :smack: .  The fit is the only thing keeping me from getting one.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:20:19 AM »
Mini, how in the hell do you fit in a reg cab with a cage?  I got on a 2nd gen regular cab, and could barely get my legs in, not to mention the crossbar that was right at eyelevel :smack: .  The fit is the only thing keeping me from getting one.
Beleive it or not, I fit no problem, seat is all the way back, then leaned all the way back, and I've got pleanty of room. I did put my cage in as tight as possible (to the point where I had a problem putting it back in after the finish welding)

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
I am pulling my Smitty Built cage out of my 82 in about 3-4 weeks. It has an added cross bar in the back for seat harnesses. I am asking 120.00 for it, but I will not ship it. I am located in West Hills, CA if you are interested.

That's a bit of a hual from Ontario, Canada. Thanks though.

I'm mounting new seats into my cab so I'll mount them as far back and semi reclined as possible.
Plus I don't have a stock dash anymore.
Anthony

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »
Beleive it or not, I fit no problem, seat is all the way back, then leaned all the way back, and I've got pleanty of room. I did put my cage in as tight as possible (to the point where I had a problem putting it back in after the finish welding)

You have aftermarket seats??  Maybe most of your 6'4" is in your legs!!  :O  Your experience is 180 mine.

I've sat in an 84 with the allpro fitted pretty tight with stock seats and my head hit the rear and side bars (would have hit the forward bar too but he removed his visors and push that bar to the windowshield.)   I test fitted an unknown cage in my '83 with very low profile seats and my head was still hitting the side and forward bars.  Sat in an 89 with another allpro cage with supra seats and still had trouble.
All trucks are reg cab, using stock seat belts.  Granted, with some four points, I would not be able to move around enough for my head to hit.

And I'm 2" shorter than you.

My current aftermark seats are fairly bulky, and I already sit pretty close to the steering wheel (seats are all the way back pressing against the back of the cab).  Adding a x-brace would require me moving my seat even closer to the steering wheel.  

These are just a couple of the reasons why I'm going exo.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
You have aftermarket seats??  Maybe most of your 6'4" is in your legs!!  :O  Your experience is 180 mine.
Must be, cause I have no problems, my visors are removed and my rear hoop is maybe 1/2" away from the roof, mainly because I took out the roof liner (gain is around 1.5" headroom). I didn't cut anything off the length or height of the cage when I put it in, and really pushed hard to get the clearance I wanted.

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:09:27 AM »
I'll definately mod it a bit to push it closer to the roof and what not.
There's no real interior left in my 82 so I've got some room.
Anthony

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »

That's the mods that I want to do to the cage (black lines).
Is it possible to move the front bar closer to the windshield? I don't really need the sun visors.
Anthony

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »
Make 2 of these for the rear hoops, makes life a lot easier than using the supplied plates

Here is where my cage placement ended up...

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »
Thanks minisimp!
Looks like you moved the windshield bar forward?
Anthony

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:43:38 PM »

That's the mods that I want to do to the cage (black lines).
Is it possible to move the front bar closer to the windshield? I don't really need the sun visors.

I wouldn't do the cross bar ontop like you have drawn.  you will hit your head for sure.  I am 6'1'' and my head has only an inch or two to the roof, if my truck lurches to one side hard i hit my head on the drivers side of the cage.  it is padded so it doesn't hurt.  imagen your heading moving forward and back from the motion of the truck.  you will be hitting your head in all directions.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:46:47 PM »
i think the design is good and well in itself (from the vendors) if you're going thru the trouble to modify it that much...save yourself some cash and just build it yourself :flamer:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:02:59 PM »
Thanks minisimp!
Looks like you moved the windshield bar forward?
Nope, I just shoved the 2 front bars as far forward into the corner of the windshield as I could, about 1/2" from the piller.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
does the cage bolt in or weld in? i understand the extra slug sleeve thing, but am curious how strong the bolt would be in a rollover.
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:02:51 AM »
Can someone post link's to some internal cages?? I wanna start looking into getting one, but don't really know where to start to look..

military_stang
:respect:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2007, 06:10:10 AM »
does the cage bolt in or weld in? i understand the extra slug sleeve thing, but am curious how strong the bolt would be in a rollover.
As for strength, ask Hyena, he rolls every trip out. :talkingn:
The cages are both bolt in and weld. There are 5 bolt in areas, 2 on the front bar, 1 on the overhead bar, and 1 on each side bar. After you have it in, you could weld up the sleeves, but you wont be able to get it out again without cutting it.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2007, 06:11:44 AM »
Can someone post link's to some internal cages?? I wanna start looking into getting one, but don't really know where to start to look..

military_stang
:respect:
Bottom of the page http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/armor.htm
And here http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=30

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »
Thanks again Minisimp.

As for building my own, not with the price of DOM these days. It's cheaper for me to buy Marlin's cage and build off of it.
Anthony

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2007, 04:53:50 PM »
Thanks again Minisimp.

As for building my own, not with the price of DOM these days. It's cheaper for me to buy Marlin's cage and build off of it.
really? i would think it would be a lot cheaper to buy yourself....hmmmmm....maybe steel is just cheaper out here in missouri. i guess if you dont have a bender it would make sense
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2007, 05:03:09 PM »
All Pro cage. the cage was in my buddies truck before we put it in mine.  he had the truck over on its lid more then once.  and that was with just the stock cage and no added gussets,dash or windshield bars.  i haven't been over all the way with it, just flopped it quite a few times.  it hasn't budged yet.  it is just bolted to the cab but all the joints are welded.  if you put a dash bar in make it higher then i have it in mine.  it blocks the view of the whole dash cluster.

Yota Tony [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »
really? i would think it would be a lot cheaper to buy yourself....hmmmmm....maybe steel is just cheaper out here in missouri. i guess if you dont have a bender it would make sense

Well not having a bender is another issue.

All Pro cage. the cage was in my buddies truck before we put it in mine.  he had the truck over on its lid more then once.  and that was with just the stock cage and no added gussets,dash or windshield bars.  i haven't been over all the way with it, just flopped it quite a few times.  it hasn't budged yet.  it is just bolted to the cab but all the joints are welded.  if you put a dash bar in make it higher then i have it in mine.  it blocks the view of the whole dash cluster.

Thanks for the pics man. :)
Anthony

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »

Like i said my friend has a allpro cage that is bolted together with no frame mounts (just bolted to floor) and rolled it at about 40mph and it held just fine. Bent the floor pan a little but the cage did not move.