Author Topic: SFA/IFS brake modifications  (Read 7174 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
SFA/IFS brake modifications
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
OK maybe it is just me who is confused on this, but i think it is other people too

it sounds like there is a lot of misleading information going around of ifs v6 calipers on a solid front axle. but there is also a mod of making your solid front axle wider by using ifs hubs? can anyone clarify this? Something about using a spacer from Sky. Something about Land crusiser rotors
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: SFA/IFS brake modifications
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2007, 03:53:48 PM »
 I don't know any details, but yes, you can use the IFS  hubs instead of wheel spacers to widen a SA

Here is the wording on sky's spacer pulled off their website:

Toyota Solid Axle Widening Kit.

What is a Widening Kit?

What this spacer does  is allow you to run IFS wheel hubs on a strait axle front end. IFS wheel hubs wheel flanges are offset further to allow the front ends of these trucks to match up to the rear, which is 58 inch's wide. A pair of these CNC machined spacers is needed to adapt either your current solid axle rotors and calipers, or the upgraded IFS V6 calipers and FJ-40 or FJ-60 series vented rotors. We supply all needed hardware to bolt this spacer to the rotor. This can be done in your garage, no special equipment needed. Average install time with correct tools and parts is 2.5 hours.

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2007, 04:11:37 PM »
ok so the brake upgrade is: IFS V6 calipers and FJ-40 or FJ-60 series vented rotors

the widening is: CNC machined spacers to adapt current solid axle rotors and calipers

However: if you use the ifs v6 calipers, fj rotors, and ifs wheel hub flanges, you dont need the sky kit and you will be wider?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »
the widening kit is pretty self explanitory and way over priced for what it is.  Get some spacers.  ON the brake upgrade you can run fj40 rotors and use the ifs calipers with no other mods but it doesnt really improve anything besides less heating up of your rotors if you had a problem with that.  that is what I run and lots of other people.  If you want a little more braking power run the v6 calipers instead which will bolt right on and all the while to look cool and show off your new rotors take out the backing plate cuz it looks gay and collects junk

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »
ok so the ifs hub body is for the sky spacer to get wider?

you can updrade to lc rotors with ifs 4 cylinder brakes, but it is nicer to upgrade to lc rotors with the ifs v6 calipers?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »
Lol, dust shields are gay :stopit:...I still sport the gayness, I'll be losing the plate after I tear into my front axle too.  I needed some clarification on this same topic too.
Go 1-Ton from the start

Stinky

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 636
  • Member since Aug '05
  • my wifes vagine, it hangs like a sleeve of wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
ya there are no available brake mods for the ole toy SFA...as for he dust shields, the hell with em!!... take them n cut the enter out(enough to be a spacer) and save ure $$...the spacers they sell are a joke, merely a sales gimmick...for the ppl that just spend $$ and dont know what the hell their doing...the dust shields are a pain in the ass anyways, they get clogged with mud n snow n cause problems on the trail...so cut the middle "spacer" section out n call it a day...

the "spacers" that sky talks about are WHEEL SPACERS, just like the ones that marlin sells...although ifs hubs are easier to come by, the sfa hubs are stronger, by a long run...just put an ifs n sfa hub next to each other...theres a difference.....say wat ya want cuz im only 20, but ive studied toyotas for a loooong time...the reason i did a sas is b/c of strength matteers and trails use...the ifs sucks, sas it n use ure stock components where applicable...end of story....

toyota did their homework n studied every flaw everyone else over looked, and built bulletproof trucks...its the facts, just think about it....so follow wat marlin says, he knows his :pokinit:...im done.....BYE!
87 p/u SAS, 22RE, built, then cut up and scrapped

94 ex cab P/U, SR5, fully loaded, 3.4 swap, r150f, a/c, bumpers, 33s, glass fenders...sold

00 Stoopid Duty 250, ex cab, lariat, v-10,000

94 reg cab, 22re, duals, 38.5 boggers, sas, 4 link, tube bed, build underway... http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967836

88 Samurai, soa, buick 3.8, th350, zuki case, 1/4 done... anyone wanna buy it??

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »
ok so the ifs hub body is for the sky spacer to get wider?

you can updrade to lc rotors with ifs 4 cylinder brakes, but it is nicer to upgrade to lc rotors with the ifs v6 calipers?
yes correct but why spend that much when you can get a spacer for $80?

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:23:19 PM »
so instead of using the sky kit.. just buy this and dont deal with the ifs hubs at all, correct?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2007, 10:25:46 PM »
what about the brakes? you can put lc rotors on?

and what calipers? ifs/stock sfa/4cyl/6cyl?

for improved braking?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2007, 05:47:31 AM »
lc vented rotors with v6 IFS calipers for the best breading power. Then just buy some spacers to widen it. :twocents:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:47:13 AM »
now what lc rotors are we talking about.... like a year and model range, abs? non abs?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
'81 FJ40 rotors will work.  :thumbs: That's what's on mine. Also the widening kit isn't just for widening it also gives better clearance to the brake caliper for your wheel.  :yesnod: I couldn't fit aluminum wheels back on so I had to use steelies that would clear without spacers. Spacers would be fine just remember you'll want your axle located forward more so wider tires will still clear the fenders while turned and stuffed.  :flamer:

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:28:29 AM »
yep 81 fj40 rotors is what im running with 86 calipers.

ATLRoach

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
I run 90 V6 Calipers and 81 FC rotors in the front. I also run 1.5" Wheel spacers and IFS hub bodies with the modified brackets. 60" WMS.

Here is the write up I used:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515697
Kyle
03 Tundra
85 4Runner (bobbed, locked, geared, longed and paned)

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
GOOD STUFF! this cleared that whole thing up for me :) hopefully others too

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79toy20r

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2007, 05:53:41 PM »
Someone might have already posted this, but, upgrade your master too

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »
Definitely!  :yesnod: I got all my stuff from an 88 4runner with a V6. Including the rear end.  :gap:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »

83, with 81 fj40 rotors 90 V6 calipers. my master is stock. works for me
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
the sfa hubs are stronger, by a long run...just put an ifs n sfa hub next to each other...theres a difference.....say wat ya want cuz im only 20, but ive studied toyotas for a loooong time...the reason i did a sas is b/c of strength matteers and trails use...the ifs sucks, sas it n use ure stock components where applicable...end of story....

How can there be a big strength difference when the two are identical except for the offset? They even take the same wheel seal except for the inner diameter of the rubber sealing surface. I do not think there is a difference in strength between the two and if there was, who cares? Has anybody actually broke a hub body?

An advantage of the Sky kit is you get the spacing and the option of running a second set of bolt on wheel spacers for double the width.

You don't need to upgrade the master unless you run 4 wheel discs.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2007, 07:55:25 PM »
several people upgrade the master jsut to upgrade it, more never hurts....

as far as the hub bodies, i have seen people explode hub bodies

~ John F. Kennedy ~

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
several people upgrade the master jsut to upgrade it, more never hurts....

as far as the hub bodies, i have seen people explode hub bodies

The brake hub body? Not the lockout hub body.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
i meant i have seen the lockout body... haha, nevermind i dont know what im talking about, thats why i started this thread ;)

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:10:31 PM »
all i can say is wow. the sky kit is for those who are doing a sas, you have the rotors hub body's and calipers, all it is is a spacer that goes in between the hub body and the rotor(correctly spacing the rotor for the caliper placement on a solid axle knuckle). also it makes the wms match the rear axle that you already have. this also is a plus for people like my dad that WILL NOT run wheel spacers(pm coconut, and ask him about the antioch bridge) the sky kit uses the toyota wheel studs in the stock location where the marlin kit reley's(sp) aluminum spacers that are prone (user and product)to failier(sp)

i'm not saying that marlin's spacers aren't safe, i'm saying they aren't for every one

also for those that say over priced, what did you pay for your fj rotors, ifs calipers, and spacers? all you need with sky's kit is his spacer; you already have the ifs hub body's, rotors, and calipers.

and before you think i have abything to do with, or any sky parts,

i run a diamond front, fj rotors and v6 calipers. i'm just trying to set the record straight for a great product.

mike

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »
How can there be a big strength difference when the two are identical except for the offset? They even take the same wheel seal except for the inner diameter of the rubber sealing surface. I do not think there is a difference in strength between the two and if there was, who cares? Has anybody actually broke a hub body?

An advantage of the Sky kit is you get the spacing and the option of running a second set of bolt on wheel spacers for double the width.

That's what I was thinking....the hubs are the same except for the offset of the wheel mounting flange. As for the master the bigger one just uses less stroke for the same effect. The V6 calipers only have a total of 4 slightly larger pistons but with the addition of larger wheel cylinders in the rear with the larger V6 brakes it does help regain or minimize your pedal travel by moving more fluid with less motion. All in all the bigger brakes offer better stopping power for larger tires or heavier loads and so on.

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:59:49 AM »
all i can say is wow. the sky kit is for those who are doing a sas, you have the rotors hub body's and calipers, all it is is a spacer that goes in between the hub body and the rotor

I believe you are incorrect.

From Sky's site.

" A pair of these CNC machined spacers is needed to adapt either your current solid axle rotors and calipers, or the upgraded IFS V6 calipers and FJ-60 series vented rotors. "

So you either use the Stock SFA rotors, or you use the FJ60 rotors.  Either way, you have to throw your IFS Rotors in the garage.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:09:56 PM »
i guess i am wrong on that part. i stand corrected.

mike

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:39:46 PM »

Very well put man, an addition to your post is that in many states wheel spacers are illegal, the Sky's kit really is not widening your front with the use of spacers it's just filling the gap between the rotor and the flange making them look almost factory, and unless the emissions guy knows toyota's inside and out i'm pretty sure he's not going to notice it and even if he does it's still not as illegal. (or at least it shouldn't be) 

True the kit is expensive, but you wont ever have to worry about your tire comming off the axle hub and that, to me, is worth the money.  I can't bash wheel spacers though because 99% of the people that run them have not had problems.  The main thing is to clean the hub of debris and check the spacers studs monthly and a little lock tight on the threads. 

Great info guys, big mike should put this thread into a tec note, it will answer alot of guys questions about this kit.

Kinda confusing but the threads on this page go into better detail and you can decide for yourself.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515697

I'm still not too sure about flipping the caliper to the other side of the knuckle looks kinda iffy on strength.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2007, 03:47:48 PM by Fearofrunner »

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
unless the emissions guy knows toyota's inside and out i'm pretty sure he's not going to notice it and even if he does it's still not as illegal. 

...  ??? ....I'm pretty sure the smog guy could care less if the damn thing is towed there as long as it runs and is smoggable. He doesn't even care if it passes or fails for that matter. He's there to do one job and nothing else.

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 09, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
yeah but he's the inspection guy too and if it's your daily driver he wont pass it
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2007, 03:53:50 PM by Fearofrunner »