Author Topic: An addict to the end  (Read 2214 times)

Rusty Davis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jan '06
  • sittin on Jackstands
    • View Profile
An addict to the end
« on: Mar 06, 2007, 06:20:50 AM »
Hi, my name's Rusty if you couldn't figure out by my SN.  I live in Hendersonville, NC which is about 20 min. south of Asheville and only about 15 minutes from the SC border.

I've had my 4Runner for about 4 years now and it seems like its spent more time on jack stands than it has on pavement or off-road.  Not that there's much wrong with it; I'm just lazy and broke when it comes to repairs and upgrades. 

Being disabled doesn't allow me to rush out and buy anything on a whim even though I catch myself doing it anyways!  I sell used parts here and there to try and make ends meet but if it weren't for my loving family I'd be homeless on the street...or at least living out of my 4Runner.
My 4Runner had about 208k on the clock when I bought her and she's got close to 260k now.  Even with the dreaded 3.slow I've taken her on many long trips with very few problems- at least nothing I can't fix.  Of course I was a mechanic before becoming disabled.

Just to clear the air- I'm 26 (I'll be 27 in May) but due to chronic back problems, recurrent blood clots, bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder (to name a few) I haven't been able to work since 2003.

I've been fighting for disability ever since and have yet to see a penny from anyone aside from food stamps and Medicaid.

Enough whining though~
I love my 94Runner to death!  I honestly don't know what I'd do without it.  What started out as a saggy rear black exterior with tan leather interior has become a monster.  If it were any taller I would need a step ladder to get in it!  Between roughly 4" of lift, 2" body lift and 35" tires I'm looking at roughly 8" of total lift.  Of course the front is a different story because I decided I'm no long putting money into it and have already picked up a solid axle for cheeeep.  I just put some "real" 4" springs in the rear in place of my FJ's and I need about a 300lb bumper to bring the axle down.  Right now the drums are about 2" off the ground the the 4Runner's sitting level  :nerv:
I do have one question, should someone actually read this- the axle I've got is supposed to be an '80 model.  Is there something wrong with this b/c I noticed the SAS kits are for '81-85' solid front axles?  Is that why I got it so cheap?
Anyways,
Another $1k in parts, then another grand in labor I'll finally get the dream rig I've always wanted! 
Of course it'll take about 5 years since I haven't been employed for almost 4 years due to being disabled.  Not to sound pathetic, but I save gas and food money to buy parts for my rig.

Anyways, I hope you welcome me with open arms and don't judge me as I won't judge you until I really get to know you A$$holes :lol:

Take Care All!
~R
94Runner

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: An addict to the end
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:04:52 PM »
 :welcome: I don't see no A$$holes around here.  :moon:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
:welcome: I don't see no A$$holes around here.  :moon:
speak for yourself!

:welcome:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:18:24 PM »
speak for yourself!

:welcome:

Well Ok now I do!! :rofl2:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rusty Davis [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • sittin on Jackstands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »
LoL thanks guys; I'm lovin' this board already  :crazy:
94Runner

Yota1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 85
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Got Mud?
    • View Profile
    • Muddog4x4
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
 :welcome: to  :turtle: from NE Arkansas. There are a few :moon:  :moon:  :moon: but they are harmless.
AR-TTORA Web Master   www.ar-ttora.com

A wise monkey never monkie's with another monkey's monkey

When in doubt Floor it.

Rusty Davis [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '06
  • sittin on Jackstands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2007, 01:45:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! they're always well appreciated!  Perhaps when I win the lottery I can get out of the "check-in" part of this site and move onto the more important things. lol
Truth is- I know quite a bit and I'm more likely to help a noob before they get flamed than I am to ask a question.  I either find my own solutions (by searching near and far) but occasionally I'll pony up and ask some questions.

Having that said, I think I'll lock my thread now so I can move on to bigger and better threads :D

Thanks again guys!

~R
94Runner

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »
:headscratch:   so  why you want to lock your own thread  :headscratch:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way