Author Topic: wasted legislation  (Read 3276 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
wasted legislation
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 12:48:59 PM »
http://www.wa-doma.org/ :shake: what is this country coming to? if you dont have a child within 3 years of being married, your marriage is annuled. :thumbdown:
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: wasted legislation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:02:24 PM »
Buncha crap!!! Wow!! :headshake:

The Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance seeks to defend equal marriage in this state by challenging the Washington Supreme Court’s ruling on Andersen v. King County. This decision, given in July 2006, declared that a “legitimate state interest” allows the Legislature to limit marriage to those couples able to have and raise children together. Because of this “legitimate state interest,” it is permissible to bar same-sex couples from legal marriage.

The way we are challenging Andersen is unusual: using the initiative, we are working to put the Court’s ruling into law. We will do this through three initiatives. The first would make procreation a requirement for legal marriage. The second would prohibit divorce or legal separation when there are children. The third would make the act of having a child together the legal equivalent of a marriage ceremony.

Absurd? Very. But there is a rational basis for this absurdity. By floating the initiatives, we hope to prompt discussion about the many misguided assumptions which make up the Andersen ruling. By getting the initiatives passed, we hope the Supreme Court will strike them down as unconstitutional and thus weaken Andersen itself. And at the very least, it should be good fun to see the social conservatives who have long screamed that marriage exists for the sole purpose of procreation be forced to choke on their own rhetoric.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:20:47 PM »
i don't have to say anything... it's not going to happen/pass..... plus, you all may disagree, but i think if two people love each other... let them be together... i'm not saying it's a bad thing for them to get married...

And yes, i am Christian, and yes, i do think marriage should be held between a man and a woman.... but if two people of the same sex want to wed.... then what is it our place to tell them no???

military_stang
:respect:

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »
i disagree with your beliefs military stang, but thats another thread.

personally i dont see why these legislators even bother with stuff such as this when we have much bigger problems to worry about. its like the bill they tried to pass a few weeks ago in cali that stated you cannot physically touch your child to punish them. no spanking, just stern words would be allowed. didnt pass thankfully, but their wasting time on stuff like this when they should be worried about illegal immigration for example.

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
I don't know red...I think civil rights might be THE most important fight on earth.  Yours, mine, straight, gay...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
I don't know red...I think civil rights might be THE most important fight on earth.  Yours, mine, straight, gay...
true.

USAF EOD tech

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »
i like having kids, but i think that is overboard. the govt should have no say on if you have kids or not
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
 thats the last effing thing we need is the government to tell us to bring more kids into this already overpopulated world :shake: just ask mrsw
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »
:think: That would make me a free man :headscratch:

:shake:

That is just ludicrous. I don't want kids and I don't want to be a throwback either.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 04:53:55 PM »
i dont see a point in it. if a man and a woman love each other and want to get married, but dont want kids, i dont see a problem with it.

USAF EOD tech

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »
THis is absolutely retarded :headshake: 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »
i dont see a point in it. if a man and a woman love each other and want to get married, but dont want kids, i dont see a problem with it.

The entire argument in this thread is the reason for the law.  If two men or two women love each other, why should anyone see a problem with them getting married.  Essentially it is their civil right.  It is only a matter of time until the bigots are outnumbered and gays are given their due rights.

The purpose of the legislation is to force those same bigots who passed the law to put their money where their mouth is and either give gays their legal rights, or admit publicly that they believe homosexuals do not qualify as American citizens.

Don't fool yourself...your religion or your bible may say that homosexuality is wrong, but in the real world, not affording a human their due civil rights is prejudice and bigotry and should NOT be tolerated in this country.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
personally i dont see why these legislators even bother with stuff such as this when we have much bigger problems to worry about

Not to mention all the money that's wasted for them coming up with these things! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2007, 08:36:37 PM »
my personal view on gays is that they have mental issues that they need to work out, call me a bigot if you want but that is my personal view. and no, i'm not religous, not against religion but not for it.

lets say there is a couple where either the husband or the wife is sterile. according to this bill, they couldnt be married because they cant have a child. no civil union, no marriage, nothing. basicly kept at a dating level.

not to mention that this legislation is a waste of time and money. civil union for gays, is, well, completely wrong in my opinion but it is their civil right.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2007, 08:42:56 PM by red »

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »

not to mention that this legislation is a waste of time and money. civil union for gays, is, well, completely wrong in my opinion but it is their civil right.

If I recall correctly there are no civil unions in Washington...part of the reason for all the fuss.  Your admitting flat out that you impose a double standard for gays.  If the argument for the defence of marriage is that marriage exists between a man and a woman for the purpose of procreation, then you cannot allow anyone who is not in the process of, or unable to have children to marry.  OR you have to allow EVERYONE the opportunity to marry and enjoy the legal benefits that come with marriage.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
thats the last effing thing we need is the government to tell us to bring more kids into this already overpopulated world :shake: just ask mrsw
:bat: do not get me started :eeky:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:11:41 AM »
If I recall correctly there are no civil unions in Washington...part of the reason for all the fuss.  Your admitting flat out that you impose a double standard for gays.  If the argument for the defence of marriage is that marriage exists between a man and a woman for the purpose of procreation, then you cannot allow anyone who is not in the process of, or unable to have children to marry.  OR you have to allow EVERYONE the opportunity to marry and enjoy the legal benefits that come with marriage.
you missread my post cteng. i stated that i personally believe that gay marriage is wrong, but it is their civil right to be united. if the governments in each state decide that gay marriage is ok, but they want to call it a civil union, i dont see a problem with that. same benefits, same everything except for instead of having "marriage" written down on the paperwork they have "civil union" written. also, i'm not stating that marriage's sole purpose is for procreation between a man and a woman, i never stated that. if there is a couple that is married but dont want kids, i see no problem with that.

USAF EOD tech

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:23:46 AM »
I didn't misread.  The crux of the legislation is that Washington has no provision, be it CU's or marriage, for gays.  They are trying to use the wording of the Defense of Marriage law against those who passed it in order to get a fair shake for gays.

The legislation in and of itself is silly, but the purpose behind the action is quite serious and, if you ask me, very smart and creative politics.

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:35:28 AM »
and what about all the  god feerin  redneck totally  freekin STUPID  :idiot:  that will be trying to have babies that shoulda been  steralized when they was born 

my  ex brother in law  being one of those

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS

• Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:47:16 AM »
Glen brings up an excellent point here.  Idiots should not be breeding.

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »
cant dissagree with that lol. i think carlos mencia put it better though. if your a dee, and you have sex with a dee, then your kids gonna be a DEE DEE DEE!!

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:16:21 PM »

My family has said this for years:  stupid people shouldn't breed! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!