Author Topic: Notice of intent to lurk for a while  (Read 5119 times)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
Notice of intent to lurk for a while
« on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »
My name is Aaron and I'm in western Oregon.  I don't yet have a truck, but after staring at the same project car for a number of years and realizing I don't have a lot of interest in it anymore, I've decided to change things up and get something I can go play in the snow and mud with.  I won't be buying or building anything until the Corolla goes away, which could be a while, because I don't have the room to store any more vehicles.

As stated, I don't have a truck yet, but I've been into Toyotas for years now.  My daily driver is an '85 MR2 with a weirdo hybrid 7A-GE engine on MegaSquirt (MSnS-E code).  The project that needs to go away is a '77 TE51 Corolla liftback with rollcage, 2T-G, etc.  I do almost all my own work, including engine builds, light welding and fabrication, etc.  And I've been working as a parts guy at the local Toyota dealership here for about two and a half years, so I have a fairly good working knowledge of most mechanical stuff and of Toyotas in particular.  I'm a noob here, but theoretically, not a complete noob...though I did try to turn a TE51 into a cool car, so the verdict is still out on my intelligence and wisdom.

I've been sneaking around a little, but figured it was time to register, mainly so I could take advantage of some more advanced search options non-members aren't afforded.  When I do make room for a rig, the goal is just a simple, mostly stock, reliable truck that the wife and I can go out to the dunes or woods and explore in, but also use for trips if we need to, to haul anything that won't fit in her wagon, etc.

Alsmost forgot to mention that I spent a year in Iceland as a foreign exchange student.  I still remember a little bit of the language and remember seeing a lot of impressive rigs during my stay up there.  One of the best days I had was watching a Formula Off Road event.  Definately worth seeing if you're ever in the country.

One last thing: kneedownnate is my brother.

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
Re: Notice of intent to lurk for a while
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »
 :welcome::turtle:
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »
One last thing: kneedownnate is my brother.

:ack: 

Um, I mean :welcome:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »
:aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
 :eek: another one?! 

:hammerhead:  Welcome to the Goon Show anyhow!  :welcome: :turtle:

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »
got any pics of your cars?

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
and whats a 7a ge?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »
welcome

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »
welcome lurker
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 10:56:50 PM »
got any pics of your cars?

and whats a 7a ge?

Well, not really any good ones of the MR2, but I have a basic page detailing the engine build at http://te51levin.superjamie.net/ and there are a couple pics of the car there, and a shaky in-car autocross video from a meet last summer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0QACNZCOp8 .  A 7A-GE is a hybrid engine built with a 7A-FE's block, crank, and rods (and pistons if you're lazy) with a 4A-GE head on it.  The 7A has a longer stroke and taller block than a 4A, so basically it's a way to get more displacement while retaining the 4A-GE head, manifolds, etc.  Stock 4A is 1587cc, stock 7A is 1762cc.  Mine's bored 0.5mm over, so it's 1784cc.

I have pics of the Corolla at http://public.fotki.com/te51levin/my-te51-corolla-liftback/ if you're interested.  I am hoping to keep the engine until I can find a good home for it, but pretty much everything else should be sold off.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »
:welcome:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2007, 06:58:51 PM »
You must have got it from your brother, offroading is a contagious disease and it is terminal. :welcome:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
You must have got it from your brother, offroading is a contagious disease and it is terminal. :welcome:

Well, I think I had a Toyota (Corolla) before he did (Hilux), but we rode dirt bikes together way back when he was too short to be comfortable on an XR75.  He just transferred most of that to four wheels and got his street kicks on two, and I went straight to sports cars and got out of the dirt entirely.

If I can successfully ditch the Corolla and score a pickup, it'll be more pickup than tree climber, but it has to be more fun than a car that hasn't moved uner its own power since about 1997!

Thanks for the welcome party.  Now to call the aforementioned brother and ask him about the '86 in his signature.  If it is more truck than it is donor, there may be some Real Dumb Ideas in the works.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »
 :welcome: from Virginia.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »
Well, I think I had a Toyota (Corolla) before he did (Hilux), but we rode dirt bikes together way back when he was too short to be comfortable on an XR75.  He just transferred most of that to four wheels and got his street kicks on two, and I went straight to sports cars and got out of the dirt entirely.

If I can successfully ditch the Corolla and score a pickup, it'll be more pickup than tree climber, but it has to be more fun than a car that hasn't moved uner its own power since about 1997!

Thanks for the welcome party.  Now to call the aforementioned brother and ask him about the '86 in his signature.  If it is more truck than it is donor, there may be some Real Dumb Ideas in the works.

You got the corolla while I was still strugling in the nissan 720, right?  :puke:  I got the 81 2wd toy in 95, then I think I got that white/blue 83 toy 4by in 96 maybe :headscratch:  That was the gutless wonder with the 21ru
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:26:53 PM »
You got the corolla while I was still strugling in the nissan 720, right?  :puke:  I got the 81 2wd toy in 95, then I think I got that white/blue 83 toy 4by in 96 maybe :headscratch:  That was the gutless wonder with the 21ru

Right.  It was October of '94 that I got the Corolla.  I remember I was working at MSC and you brought the '81 by to have Ken take a look at it before you bought it.

Your '86 donor is a total crapbox.  I want it.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:44:06 PM »
Right.  It was October of '94 that I got the Corolla.  I remember I was working at MSC and you brought the '81 by to have Ken take a look at it before you bought it.

Your '86 donor is a total crapbox.  I want it.

Man, I don't even remember bringing the truck over there, and definately don't remember what he said?!

Yea, you probably couldn't describe the 86 any better. 
RIP KYOTA

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:56:56 AM »
Hey Aaron and welcome

Im Chris, the guy in Chico CA that knows Nate that bought that headgasket and intake gasket from you about 10 months ago.

I still need to get that center pin for my rear third member too.... i think you quoted me like 15.08 or something for it.

Anyway good job on joining the board
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »
well you sound as insane as the rest of us...thats good
i live in ashland oregon-and i want your super corolla!!!

by the way, marlins son mike, would enjoy your mr2 stories im sure, hes a former mr2 nut

anyway, welcome to the board

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2007, 10:06:07 AM »
Im Chris, the guy in Chico CA that knows Nate that bought that headgasket and intake gasket from you about 10 months ago.

Hey Chris, I thought you'd be on here somewhere!  Thanks for saying hi!

well you sound as insane as the rest of us...thats good
i live in ashland oregon-and i want your super corolla!!!

by the way, marlins son mike, would enjoy your mr2 stories im sure, hes a former mr2 nut

anyway, welcome to the board

Thanks Dan!  I don't have any good bites on that Corolla yet, so if you are interested, let me know and I'm sure we can work something out.  Nate's '86 is missing its drivetrain, and he wants to rob it of its rear axle and steering box...there may be a three-way swap meet in the making here.  Maybe you you have parts he can use rather than strip out the '86, or an engine/trans/case.  Ashland's not too far, so if you want to come up and take a look at it you're welcome to.

I'm always up for MR2 chat with Mike.  He will get tired of me before i run out of things to say.

« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 10:11:02 AM by te51levin »

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2007, 11:24:24 AM »
pics?? :thumbs:

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 11:37:34 AM by te51levin »

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:35:37 PM »
 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

im in love...soooo wicked!!! that thing could be a freekin drift monster!!!!!!!!!!

i want it, motor and all...now how to come up with the money??

trade for toyota 4x4 right?

te51levin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »
 :-\  Boy, that's a tough one...that engine is my baby...I have way too much money in it (something close to $4K if I remember correctly) and would have to get most of it back to consider selling it.  I was planning to store the engine and find a car to use it in later.  If that didn't work I think I could get pretty close to my investment back by selling the engine on eBay; there's a pretty rabid following for early Toyota stuff, especially 2TGs and 18RGs.  If I traded it out I would have to get a really nice truck (much nicer than I need) for it.

Sounds like you're short on funds, just like me.  What do you have to trade?

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
:-\  Boy, that's a tough one...that engine is my baby...I have way too much money in it (something close to $4K if I remember correctly) and would have to get most of it back to consider selling it.  I was planning to store the engine and find a car to use it in later.  If that didn't work I think I could get pretty close to my investment back by selling the engine on eBay; there's a pretty rabid following for early Toyota stuff, especially 2TGs and 18RGs.  If I traded it out I would have to get a really nice truck (much nicer than I need) for it.

Sounds like you're short on funds, just like me.  What do you have to trade?

not much, unless your into subaru turbo cars and parts..or a really nice dirtbike

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
WELCOME!  :wave:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

88toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2007, 02:37:54 PM »
 :welcome: to  :turtle: hope you enjoy it