Author Topic: Raise Std Steering??  (Read 2807 times)

Siringo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Apr '06
  • I Really Have No Idea...
    • View Profile
Raise Std Steering??
« on: Dec 31, 2006, 11:13:53 PM »
Sorry folks, I'm not up with steering terminology, but I'll try and describe things as best I can.

I have an '84 LN series Hilux. I've raised the front suspension and now have this problem. My truck is a right hand drive, so I'm not sure if you guys in the US have this problem. Anyway, my steering drag link sometimes knocks the top of the U bolt holding the springs to the axle.

So, I'm wondering if I can undo the 4 nuts holding the J bar onto the top of the wheel hub, undo the same 4 nuts on the other side and space the 2 ends up a bit so as to lift the end of the drag link up and away from the U bolts on the axle??

I usually learn how all this stuff goes together by pulling it apart, but I've never pulled this stuff apart before and I'm trying to save myself some work and time.

Does that sound like a good idea, would it work or is there a better solution? Please don't suggest cross over steering as it is extremely expensive down here.

Many thanks,
Matt.

chaseheadrick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: Raise Std Steering??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:11:53 AM »
in a word...no. there are shims under the steering arm that give the bearing under it a certain amount of pre-load on it. your best bet would be to build your own spring packs that are not as thick as the springs that you have in order to clear the steering arm
85 pickup, 35x13.5 toyos on 15x10 steelies, 2'' BL, 3'' sus. lift,
soon to get:
dual ultimate w/10* clock,
5.29s and Lockrites front and rear

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2007, 01:38:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply chaseheadrick that's the type of answer I was after. I was about to try what I mentioned earlier today but ran out of time. Looks like I would have stuffed things up had I done it.

Thanks again.  ;)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
yea  it sounds good in theory  but thats all,  as far as i know  your only option  is to flip the ball on the J arm  so its on top instead of the bottom,  but its a PAIN to do

i  would do as  dude  said  and  build some springs  not so thick
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »
It's more money, but switching to cross over steering will eliminate the problem that you are having and give you better steering.
I'm not positive how or what is making contact, but you might be able to use a drop drag link, but i'm not sure if that will solve your problem.
One other solution, and I know it's contraversial with many people, is to heat and bend the arm just enough to help clear. I've heated and bent many steering arms for home built high steer and when done right is still very strong. I've never had one of my heated arms break. I have not ever tried bending a J arm so i'm not sure how well it would work. The J arms are notoriously week near the pivot ball and are often re-enforced by welding a bar onto the top of it. A combination of heating, bending then re-enforcing could do the job, but remember......it's your steering.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
yea  and considering if that ball brakes  while going down the highway  :yikes:

his  drag links hitting the top of the u bolts,  when i set up Kevins truck he had a dropped link  and it hit BAD,  a slightly bent  stock drag link  fixed his problem

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
Hmmm. I think the easiest thing to do will be to build a custom spring pack. It's ashame I can't get a J arm with the ball mounted on top and not underneath, it would fix the problem completely.

Maybe Marlin could consider looking at this problem and produce a replacement???? It's a common problem with everyone that has lifted the front of their truck as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your help guys.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:51:05 PM »
:psss:  its called hi steer  :yesnod:

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »
How about a new product to the product line ... 'Just a Little Bit Higher than Normal Steer'  :greengrin:

Do you have to replace your steering box if you fit Hi Steer?

chaseheadrick

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2007, 03:48:45 PM »
i've never seen a push-pull type hi-steer, but i haven't been around that long. all the ones i have seen are all cross-over hi-steer. you could do like fireball said and modify your factory arms, but then you have highly stressed componenets in something as critical as your steering.
85 pickup, 35x13.5 toyos on 15x10 steelies, 2'' BL, 3'' sus. lift,
soon to get:
dual ultimate w/10* clock,
5.29s and Lockrites front and rear

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2007, 04:54:17 PM »
flip the ball on the j arm, it would be the most simple solution, or the bumpstop plate on top of the pack could be removed if it will give u enough room

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:06:20 PM »
How do I flip the ball on the J arm? Is it pressed in? Would that weaken it too much though????

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:20:51 PM »
How do I flip the ball on the J arm? Is it pressed in? Would that weaken it too much though????

It is almost like a rivet; the back side is mushroomed over.  You have to grind the back down, then press it out, flip it and weld it back in.

As far as how much it weakens it, I dunno.  I'm running one, along with a drop drag link, and I haven't broken one :crossed: but I haven't really wheeled with it.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
For cross-over high steer you do need a new steering box. I'm not sure where you live, but judging by your rig i'm pretty certain that it's not here in the states. Here the steering box we switch to is from an IFS(independand front suspension) Toyota pickup (Hilux). I'm not sure if how available that will be to you. The IFS box swings side to side instead of front to back and the drag link connects to the passenger side steering arm.
I've read somewhere else that someone was making a high steer kit for r-hand drive, but I don't know which box they were using. I guess that there are r-hand drive IFS trucks, but I don't know.
Flipping the ball would be the quickest and easiest. The trick to welding or heating steering arms is to let them cool slowly. You do not want to quinch them in water. When I heat and bend stock arms I like to put them in a bucket of sand and leave them til they are cool.

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2007, 05:54:56 PM »
When you remove the J arm, does anything come flying out? chaseheadrick said there are shims under it that give pre-load to something else etc.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
There are shims and there will be a tapered bearing in the knuckle.  Just make sure  you get all the shims off of the J-arm.   Nothing should come flying out.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2007, 08:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the link to the FSM, it helps.