Author Topic: How is your weber jetted/setup?  (Read 4722 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How is your weber jetted/setup?
« on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »
Well, my 32/36 is running like poo and has several flat spots.  So lemme know which weber you have, how it's setup and what elevation you're at.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
Re: How is your weber jetted/setup?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:19:52 PM »
In my experience with my weber they are very touchy and even the slightest movement of anything in the carb can cause the thing to run like crap. I have a 32/36 with the factory jets is came with ( :dunno: what they are) but im around 2000 ft and it runs fine once i hade it tuned.
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »
mine had just recently  started having a flat spot  at around 3000  :dunno:

when i get this Jimmy back together  i'll pull the carb  and see whats going on
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
That's kinda where mine is too, but it's more of a huge hickup when I'm cruising on the freeway and try acclerating. 

And rednk, mine is the 32/36 dgav, so you really only wanna leave the jetting alone if you like the truck bucking and stumbling all over.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2006, 08:54:53 PM »
Just talked to my dad about the weber, it has a shallow float or something like of that sort that keeps more fuel in the bowl so on inclines and what not it doesn't flood out as bad. I think its called and off-road kit or something of the sort. Sorry it doesn't help you any though.
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »
Oh man, webers hate inclines.  I messed with my float level trying to make it better, but it only made a tiny bit of difference.  That's another reason I'm going to be switching back to a 22r carb after a while
RIP KYOTA

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:59:38 PM »
I have to be the 1st person to ever say this but i HATE stock carbs to many vacume lines and i never got any of the ones i tried to run right. Stay with the weber and get the kit ill find the website and give you some info it makes a difference.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:11:49 PM »
Bump, I want some more input.  More people have to be running these carbs
RIP KYOTA

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:16:34 AM »
32/36 whatever it came with for jets, don't know. I have had it on about 6 months on my 80 and one on my 83 for about 2 years. No problems with either. The one on the 80 I bought new, the 83's was used. I don't know if it was messed with or not I just tuned it and went wheelin.
Time to go wheelin!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »
Mine's a 32/36 dgav, smog legal, and only a fool would wanna leave it jetted stock!  It'll pass smog, but buck and lurch all over until you get the revs up.
RIP KYOTA

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 89
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Speed Kills...Drive a Hilux and live forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:57:38 AM »
I am running the 32/36
. Primary fuel 35/air 60.
Secondry fuel 40/air 70
the rest is stock
ope this helps.

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »
I installed a brand new 32/36 dgev on my fresh hybrid motor. Definitely needs to be rejetted, but current setup seems to run fine when warm, but truck doesn't seem to have the power I anticipated. I'm still having a bit of trouble getting it tuned right, but as this is my first time playing with a carb I guess that's fairly normal.  :dunno:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2006, 10:42:04 PM »
I am running the 32/36
. Primary fuel 35/air 60.
Secondry fuel 40/air 70
the rest is stock
ope this helps.

And at what elevation do you live?  That sounds very lean to me, pretty close to stock for a dgav maybe.  I think I had it at 55 primary and 40 or 45 secondary when it ran better, but may have a 45 or 40 main right now.  Can't remember what air jets I'm running, don't think I played with them too much.
RIP KYOTA

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:38:36 PM »
Sorry thats 140 primary and 142 secondry, airs are standard 165/170

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2006, 09:43:31 PM »
There's a friend of mine on the Toyota bbs at orc.com he goes by the name of Yodta, his name is Scott. He has a pretty lengthy write up on his travails with the Weber. You might find some good info there.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:23:18 PM »
I thought I gave you the procedure a while ago...maybe not...but here it is anyway, in the order it should be done in (though there are probably many ways to skin this cat):

1) Idle jet: with engine HOT, choke disengaged, float level correct, valve lash correct, and ignition timing correct, set idle to desired speed via idle speed screw.  Slowly turn the idle mixture screw in or out until you find the fastest idle speed, or use a vacuum gauge to find the highest vacuum reading.  Adjust the idle speed screw if necessary to get your preferred idle RPM.  Adjust the mixture screw again if necessary to the highest speed and repeat the process until the idle is at your preferred speed.  Turn the idle mixture screw in (clockwise) about 1/4 turn and turn the idle speed up via the idle speed screw if it drops significantly.  Now shut off the engine and count the number of clockwise turns until the idle mixture screw is fully seated.  It should be 1 3/4 to 2 turns.  If it is less than that, your idle jet is too big, and if it is more than that, the idle jet is too small.  The idle jet also handles progression from idle to low speed, so it needs to be big enough to feed a little fuel to the progression holes right below the throttle plate as the throttle starts to open.

2) Primary main jet: choose the smallest size that will run smoothly at low engine speeds on the primary throttle.  This jet typically affects the range from right off idle to halfway through the RPM range that you encounter without getting into the secondary barrel.

3) Primary air corrector: chose the largest (larger = more air = leaner) size that will run smoothly through the higher engine speeds when on the primary barrel.  This jet allows air to emulsify the fuel (mixes it into a froth, more or less) as air velocity through the carb increases, so its influence is on the mixture as engine speed and airflow increase.  The main jet sets the base fuel delivery on that barrel, and the air corrector trims the fuel delivery at higher engine speeds.

At this point, the vehicle should be smooth and responsive on the primary barrel under any conditions.  Once the primary side is sorted you can address the secondary, but the primary side MUST be sorted first.  Also, there is an idle yet on the secondary barrel, but it doesn't do much and can typically be ignored.

4) Secondary main jet: choose the smallest* size that provides smooth performance as the secondary starts to open, and midway through the RPM band with the secondary barrel open.  This is a good time to start reading plugs to make sure you have a "correct" air/fuel ratio.  Going lean at WOT is usually not a good thing.

5) Secondary air corrector: choose the largest* size that provides smooth performance through the upper portion of the RPM range with the secondary throttle open.  Again, reading spark plug colors or borrowing a wideband oxygen sensor are good ideas to make sure you have the mixture correct.

* For safety, you may want to choose one step richer (one step larger main jet, one step smaller air corrector) than the leanest that run smoothly for the secondary side.  For durability, it's generally better to be a little rich than a little lean under WOT.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:42:02 PM »
I'll hafta get into it a little more this weekend.  I used to be able to cruise up miracle mile in 4th at 50-55 easy, the other day I was floored in 3rd going barely 50, no acceleration.  I'm starting to wonder if I got the timing chain a tooth off when I did the head.  I don't think the mikuni cam is big enough to cause the lopey idle that it has.  I just wanna get this thing sorted out and somewhat reliable again :shake_head: 
RIP KYOTA

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2007, 11:48:12 PM »
I will drive down and put a Level III Dark Magick Wizard tune on it if you can find enough crap to gt that '86 driveable.

I forgot - the cam could have a serious impact on air/fuel ratios, so it might warrant a retune.  But you definaetly want to double-check cam and ignition timing as well as all the other variables before trying to jet the carbonator.

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »
rednck1980, did you find out what a jet was yet??  I believe it is the port at which fuel is mixed with the air.  By going bigger, you increase the amount of fuel going into the intake.

There was a vaccum fix for webers that kept them from stalling going uphill...  It takes a lot of solder and a vaccum nipple...  I will try to find it.
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...

Bass Man

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 56
  • Member since Oct '06
  • I came to the Dark Side.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
Gary A. Eck from www.offroad.com says:

The problem is the fuel bowl is vented open to the air horn and raw gas pours into the carb throat going uphill, but not downhill. You have to seal that opening with ?Liquid Solder?. The fuel bowl is now sealed, but you have now created another problem: your fuel pump is now pressurizing the fuel bowl and forcing raw gas out the main jets. To solve this (while you have the carb apart to seal the fuel bowl opening) examine the external vent casting. I am talking about the vent connected by a rubber hose from the carb to the charcoal canister.

If you examine the air horn closely you will notice the casting for the vent goes under the air horn next to the opening you sealed previously. Use an 1/8 drill bit to drill from the air horn into the tube created by the casting. By doing this you have once again vented your fuel bowl, but the raw gas will not flow back into the throat of the carb.

Sorry to jack the thread, I thought this would be a good place to post the fix.
Stock 82 LWB on 33's welded in the rear.  Amazes me!  Been through 4 motors in 2 months though...

Hilux92

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
I have not had a issue with stalling on any inclines. My carbs float bowl faces the front of my truck.

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2007, 11:20:27 PM »
I have not had a issue with stalling on any inclines. My carbs float bowl faces the front of my truck.

X2