Author Topic: v8 swap  (Read 3728 times)

beater

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
v8 swap
« on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »
if any body out there has done a v8 swap and would like to give me a couple of pointers that would be great. thanks :usa:

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
Re: v8 swap
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2006, 04:13:23 PM »
what are you swapping?
SBC? SBF? :bowdown: Toyota 1UZFE?
'82 on 35's, not much else.

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »
umm, don't, find a nice 3.4L v6 out of a Toyota.  Much less headache and worth something in the end.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
Ford 302, hands down.  People always jump on the sbc bandwagon, but it can get pretty tight in there with a chevy.  The ford is a narrower and more compact v8 with plenty of potential.  I'm less a ford fan than chevy, but the 302 is a very good engine and has lots of tranny choices too and runs the distributor in the front.  You can get adapters to run a toyota tranny behind either ford or chevy small blocks too, though I'd personally rather run an aod behind a v8. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

old school toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2006, 07:18:12 PM »
Make sure you go with fuel injection.
1988 4runner

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:04:28 PM »
Ford is a tradeoff of reliability for performance. Worth it for some, not for others. I agree 302 is an excellent choice. Easy to find, LOTS of parts available. I'd definately say C6 > AOD though.

Personally, I plan on a 3RZ swap down the road. If I was gonna go through the trouble of swapping in a V8 I would seriously take a look at the (Lexus) 1UZFE/2UZFE.
www.uzswap.com
"4 cams, 32 valves, 6 bolt mains, forged internals, aluminum block and heads and it looks good too."
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2006, 09:10:53 PM by cheap sunglasses »

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:29:19 PM »
Ford is a tradeoff of reliability for performance

???  Explain please? 

I'd definately say C6 > AOD though.

C6 would be total overkill for this application, not to mention you'd lose the overdrive.  If bone simple reliability were the issue then a c4 would be just fine.  Sadly, I don't know of a really reliable 4spd auto available for any of them, but I have no experience with the trannies behind tundra v8s. 

Given an unlimited budget I'd say tundra/lexus v8, but how many of us have pockets that deep?

I know where there's a 4.6 ford cheap, in something like a 96ish towncar I think, but I hear they're wider than their predecessors, and I'd still hafta find a good 4by tranny.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:30:33 PM »
From my experience, Ford products in general are pieces of crap. My friends bronco broke down so much that his dad said he would buy him a new car if he would just get rid of it. Along the same lines, the AOD has a terrible reputation even among Ford lovers. Not something I would want to worry about in a wheeler, automatic transmissions are already worrysome enough.

How is a c6 "total overkill" behind a 302? Though you are right a c4 would be better.

...I wonder if the guy who started this thread will come back and tell us he already has an AMC V8 or something  :joke:

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:40:20 PM »
im swappin a chevy 283 into my 84 2wd toy with a th350 tranny, i think im gonna have to cut up some firewall to fit the distributor and get a better weight distribution, its goin to be a street/strip truck, should be fun

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:46:57 PM »
That'd be horrible.........

Aod trannies seem to have picked up a bad rep from the early versions, just like the 700r4 gm.  A c6 is super tough and a great workhorse, but in a lightweight vehicle that doesn't have tons of torque it's kind of a waste.  But hey, a turbo 400 is super tough but can still be run behind a buick v6, so who knows. 

302s are pretty reliable, especially if you keep it simple.  Just eliminate the sparkomatic ford wiring and you'll be fine.  I absolutely hate the ford intake plenum though, completely covers the valve cover, which always seems to be the one that leaks bad. 

I really don't like the gm conversions, but I'd consider a 4.3 chevy if the parts were cheap enough, though I'd rather build a healthy 252 buick though!  They fit so nicely that they look like they coulda been a factory option, and have good power for little money.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
im swappin a chevy 283 into my 84 2wd toy with a th350 tranny, i think im gonna have to cut up some firewall to fit the distributor and get a better weight distribution, its goin to be a street/strip truck, should be fun

That's another one of my big bitches about going with a gm v8!  Atleast ford ran the distributor in the front.
RIP KYOTA

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:22:46 AM »
302 would be the simplest,and cleanest looks wise,I like the c4 if you are gonna run a auto...What excatly are you wanting to to with the v8 mod wise?
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

southernoffroader

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2006, 05:44:42 PM »
They call a Toyota with a SBC a TOYLET for a reason, they are "The s#^*t" literally. I had an 83 with a 350, and even with a Downey radiator and a 3" body lift I still had to beat the firewall like it owed me money and it was very tight. With no fan on the motor there was maybe an inch between the water pump pulley and the radiator. I didn't keep that piece of shirt very long. Now on to you Ford haters, the 302 is a better motor than the Chevy hands down, it swaps easier and performs better. The AOD is actually a very strong trans and really only needs a new valve body to firm up the shifts, it makes them last much longer. I may sound like a Ford fanboy but I am not, all I own now are a 97 GMC Suburban, a 98 GMC Sonoma, and a 87 Toyota 4x4. The only GM motor I would swap into a Toyota is a 4.3. I still haven't decided if I am gonna go 4.3 or 302 in my Yota.

old school toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:00:12 PM »
If you run a LT1 350  (late model engine)  The dist. is up front.  I  just have a 3" body liftt.  No problem  Fits nice :) :)
1988 4runner

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
Both Chevy and Ford are JUNK compared to Toyota's v8.

In my 84, I had a Chevy 350, big HEi, short water pump, no firewall modification, waterpump driven fan, aluminum radiator and a uncut core support.   Enough room around the distributor to pull the cap off easily.   Clearance is no excuse to run a Ford product.  Hey, they circled the problem.
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:46:49 PM »
Clearance is no excuse to run a Ford product.  Hey, they circled the problem.

:rofl:  :laugh: :rofl:

That's hilarious, but seriously, clearance may not be an excuse, but money is, which is why there are so many more domestic v8 swaps than toyota v8 swaps...
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:35:01 PM »
Around here, Toyota v8,  harness, transmission, transfer case around $2500.   Are you going to find a domestic(haha) port fuel setup for under a grand?  Maybe, the transmission, adapter?   Still have my mistake, it's a domestic/import money pit yard ornament.  I would have been far ahead to start with the toy swap.

beater [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »
thanks for the input and help the plan is to put a small block chevy in the 82, a buddy just got done with thatand its tight in the engine compartment but it looks nice his is a 87 toyota

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:03:10 PM »
i got my 283 chevy v8 in my truck last night, and im gonna run the radiator in the bed, but its a race truck

polykid

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:37:44 PM »
so are the 1uzfe lexus/toyota V8 engines more expensive than a comporable chevy or ford V8 or just harder to transplant?

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
I am putting a 350 with a turbo 400 in my 81 right now.  It is tight but I have a body lift and beat the firewall back.  Soon I will see if it was worth it or not.  :crossed:

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »
so are the 1uzfe lexus/toyota V8 engines more expensive than a comporable chevy or ford V8 or just harder to transplant?

Yeah, it isn't a cheap swap which is why so many people go the domestic route. You can find chevy and ford V8's for pretty cheap almost anywhere in the states, but finding a cheap 1uzfe is tough. Chevy and Ford have been making their V8's for a long time, their engines are basic pushrod design and overall pretty simple. A Toyota V8 has a bit more to it and it hasn't been made for all that long... it's a better motor, way more efficient, but cost more. It all comes down to that "you get what you pay for..."
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:20:12 PM »
Yeah my brother is working for Toyota motor sports.  I keep trying to get him to send me one.  Hasn't happened yet.  I cant figure out why  :headscratch:

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
Yeah my brother is working for Toyota motor sports.  I keep trying to get him to send me one.  Hasn't happened yet.  I cant figure out why  :headscratch:
When you figure it out, can you have him send me one too?  :gap:

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2007, 03:00:51 AM »
:thumbs: Right after mine arrives I will get him to hook you up.  Don't tell anyone  :shhh:

beater [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
i got the engine in with tranny and transfer all hooked up now i just got to get it started and get some new drivelines it looks bad ass in there.. hey topar hows yours coming along?? why did u go with the 400 tranny?

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
 :worthless:

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:12:07 PM »
I want to swap out my leaky old 22r for a 3rz or something.  Ive been reading a ton about it.  This is my daily driver....its not just a trail rig which is straying me away from a v8 or even a v6.  I drive a lot...right now I fill up my tank once a week or maybe a little less.  Id love all the torque from a v8 but I dont want to bite the bullet on gas. 
At first I had my mind set on a 7mgte (thats the turbo model) from a supra, but I read a lot more and found out that the supra motor makes a lot more high end torque. I kinda figured that considering the nature of a supra. Anyways I figure a 3rz is perfect for my application.  MAYBE a 3.4l toy v6.  What do you guys think? Id be doing this in my garage at my parents house.  Why you ask? Because thats where I live :smack:
oh ya, they dont want me to do a motor swap either.  :smack: :smack:
My 22r runs awesome for now though.  I guess its a good motor if you like 80somethin' horsepower

Good work on the v8s those are sweet lookin. Average people are AMAZED when they see/hear a v8 in a toyota its pretty funny
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2007, 03:51:19 PM »
I want to swap out my leaky old 22r for a 3rz or something.  Ive been reading a ton about it.  This is my daily driver....its not just a trail rig which is straying me away from a v8 or even a v6.  I drive a lot...right now I fill up my tank once a week or maybe a little less.  Id love all the torque from a v8 but I dont want to bite the bullet on gas. 
At first I had my mind set on a 7mgte (thats the turbo model) from a supra, but I read a lot more and found out that the supra motor makes a lot more high end torque. I kinda figured that considering the nature of a supra. Anyways I figure a 3rz is perfect for my application.  MAYBE a 3.4l toy v6.  What do you guys think? Id be doing this in my garage at my parents house.  Why you ask? Because thats where I live :smack:
oh ya, they dont want me to do a motor swap either.  :smack: :smack:
My 22r runs awesome for now though.  I guess its a good motor if you like 80somethin' horsepower

Cam, header and exhaust on a 22r can make a noticeable difference.  Never like a 3rz, but much simpler and cheaper.  With a motor swap, you're going to have down time.  Not good if it's the primary transportation.   Spend the first couple month's getting things lined out working properly.  Unless you have a good knowledge of Toyota's or a good mechanic friend, it can be overwhelming. If you can look at a 3rz wiring diagram and understand it, go for it.

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »
They call a Toyota with a SBC a TOYLET for a reason, they are "The s#^*t" literally. I had an 83 with a 350, and even with a Downey radiator and a 3" body lift I still had to beat the firewall like it owed me money and it was very tight. With no fan on the motor there was maybe an inch between the water pump pulley and the radiator. I didn't keep that piece of shirt very long. Now on to you Ford haters, the 302 is a better motor than the Chevy hands down, it swaps easier and performs better. The AOD is actually a very strong trans and really only needs a new valve body to firm up the shifts, it makes them last much longer. I may sound like a Ford fanboy but I am not, all I own now are a 97 GMC Suburban, a 98 GMC Sonoma, and a 87 Toyota 4x4. The only GM motor I would swap into a Toyota is a 4.3. I still haven't decided if I am gonna go 4.3 or 302 in my Yota.

Does anybody run the low profile distributors? I would prefer to have my distributor in the back any day. The fords with front mounted distributors are always killing in water puddles and mud when they get splashed. The distributor in the front is a weakness if you live where it gets wet.

The 302 is better than a SBC  :laugh: Thats a good one. Even the mustang guys I know have swapped in at least a 351W in their drag cars. If you are gonna do a V8 swap you might as well go big or it isn't worth sacrificing the mileage and reliability of a Toyota motor.

The GM 4L80E is a very stout overdrive transmission as well.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough