Author Topic: Another noob question...  (Read 3265 times)

nosnorb_808

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Another noob question...
« on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:39:46 PM »
  :attention:  Allright what is the difference between Hi-pinion gearing and regular?  :dunno:   How would I know what set up I need? I know I would need 4:88 for 33inch tires.   :think:

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Another noob question...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:22:36 PM »
High pinion means the pinion sits higher than the stock pinion. Basiccly the pnion gers sits on top of the gear as apossed to the bottom like stock. As long as you are not going with a huge lift you will not need high pinion diffs. Stockers are fine. Also, high pinion diff gears are not the same as regular diff gears. :thumbs:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
If u have a larger lift a hi-pinion will decrease the driveshaft angle and keep it further from the bad bad rocks

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

nosnorb_808 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2006, 07:52:11 AM »
   :think:  Would or should I go with the high pinion set up if im going to be runnin a 5inch suspension lift w/ a 3inch body lift?  :dunno:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:14:05 AM »
:ack:  why you need that much body lift :eek:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:15:00 AM »
but i like the hipinion  :yesnod: 
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

nosnorb_808 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2006, 08:45:37 AM »
I bought the truck with the body lift already on it. I'm gonna be ordering a 5inch SAS kit soon, So i figured i would install the SAS on it and see how i like it before removing the body lift.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2006, 01:40:15 PM »
go with as little lift as possible. You should be able to run up to 37's with 4 inch lift and no BL.  cut down or eliminate the body lift if possible. What size tires are you running? 
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2006, 02:20:11 PM »
   :think:  Would or should I go with the high pinion set up if im going to be runnin a 5inch suspension lift w/ a 3inch body lift?  :dunno:

You shouldn't need them but if you have the extra money get 'em. From what I heard they do cost alot more.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:40:16 PM »
go with as little lift as possible. You should be able to run up to 37's with 4 inch lift and no BL.  cut down or eliminate the body lift if possible. What size tires are you running? 

:yesnod:  Ditto.  Ditch the body lift, or atleast cut it down to 1".  A 4" sas kit should afford major clearance for 35s and should still clear 37s ok too. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »
:yesnod:  Ditto.  Ditch the body lift, or atleast cut it down to 1".  A 4" sas kit should afford major clearance for 35s and should still clear 37s ok too. 
if it dont clear then it's sawzall time! :cheer:
RIP KYOTA

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2006, 11:23:50 AM »
ive got 5in springs and 2 inch body lift and my 35s still bite the inner fenders... sorry to thread jack though..
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
ive got 5in springs and 2 inch body lift and my 35s still bite the inner fenders... sorry to thread jack though..
u mean the top part of the  fender or the inner fender?  what BS you running on your wheels? spacers?
RIP KYOTA

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:14:38 PM »
not sure on the backspacing... 15x8 procomp rims.... 1.5in wheel spacers on each side... they bit the back of the fender and the body mount at full stuff.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

nosnorb_808 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:45:47 PM »
Allright appreciate the input. Ive finally decided to go with a 5inch lift on 33's. I'll prolly go with reg gears over the high pinion since I'm not a hardcore rock junkie. The body lift is definately out the window. I assume i will have ample clearage at max articulation with the 5inch lift on 33's without any fender trimming.   :crossed:  Once again thanks for the input, Its like family here everyone is  :cool:  im   :outtahere: