Author Topic: pulling doubles?????  (Read 13497 times)

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
pulling doubles?????
« on: Oct 27, 2006, 09:55:34 PM »
I have a couple trips planed for this year and want opinions on pulling doubles. Any opinions from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated. I will be towing with a healthy 1/2 ton gmc. I want to tow my toy on trailer with a small pop up behind that. I have never done it before but I think my truck is up to the task. I currently don't have my trailer brakes hooked up for my trailer, yet but I think I should before I attempt it.

UPDATE 10/31/06    I'm not gonna do it!!!     If you have any experince or first hand knowledge please chime in and babye we can discourage someone else.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2006, 01:31:48 PM by gittinit »
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: pulling doubles?????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2006, 10:17:46 PM »
The legality varies from state to state.  You'll need to check that before attempting.  Usually you can't legally tow more than the combined GVWR of your tow vehicle, which usually puts most 1/2 tons out of game.

Remember, the issue isn't moving that load with your 1/2 ton- it's stopping it.  Your truck is considerably lighter than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, which allows the trailered load(s) to move the truck around more.  Also, your truck doesn't have as much braking capacity as the bigger trucks- even with a healthy set of trailer brakes.

I've got a 3/4 ton tow rig, and wouldn't personally attempt to pull doubles. 

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2006, 11:11:01 PM »
I would be making about a 7 hour round trip. I think the doubles might be a bit much but only becouse of possible bad wheather.  I really don't want to sleep on the ground in a tent when the temps drop below freezing. these wheights are only a good guess.          popup + trailer 16ft + toy =?  8000# more or less  ?

my favorite places:

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2006, 09:17:44 AM »
DONT,   not  with a 1/2 ton truck

commercial truck drivers  have to go thru special training to do this, and the truck  and  BOTH trailers  must have brakes,  and the brakes  must be phased,  meaning  the brakes of the rear most trailer must engage first.

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2006, 01:07:37 PM »
  I really don't want to sleep on the ground in a tent when the temps drop below freezing.
u wussy :haha: jk

Where ya going? i dont think thats legal in missouri if u was talking about the new years trip!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »
i see old people  pulling a  5th wheel  camper  with a small boat  on the back  around here but  i ts  always behind a 1 ton truck

i  wouldnt attempt it with a 1/2 ton

might as well be a toyota,  most half tons nowadays  arent much heavier than a yota anyway
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2006, 03:22:31 PM »
maybe someone  can swing by your place on the way up  and drag the pop up  for ya

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:14:24 PM »
I was also thinking about the hot springs trip on the 10th of november. I don't rhink I have enough time to prepare to pull doubles for that one though. :down:

Are ya volunteering for the new years trip, glen? I might be able to pitch in for te extra gas. :burnout:
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006, 04:47:52 PM by gittinit »

my favorite places:

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2006, 04:26:40 PM »
i see old people  pulling a  5th wheel  camper  with a small boat  on the back  around here but  i ts  always behind a 1 ton truck

i  wouldnt attempt it with a 1/2 ton

might as well be a toyota,  most half tons nowadays  arent much heavier than a yota anyway

I'm not gonna be towing a fith wheel just my tandem with the toy on it,and mabye a popup behind that. For a fithwheel  camper a 1 ton or at least a 3/4 ton is a absolute must but that type os setup will put a major load on the back of the tow rig. With adding a popup behind the tandum I would actually be removing wheight from the truck axle.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006, 04:48:26 PM by gittinit »

my favorite places:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2006, 06:47:25 PM »
if your 16 foot  has brakes  and  your a good  driver  and dont mind dying :dunno:

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:07:28 PM »
Dying doesn't scare me!!! The chance of living as a vegetable the rest of my life does  .  I have too much to contribute to this world. I think I may try the doubles on a local drive first. You say ''don't do it'' but don't give any concrete reasons or hardcore evidence that it is a bad idea. I personaly would rather not pull doubles. I don't see any other way to keep from sleeping on the ground. There is absolutley no way I will pull doubles without the trailer brakes working correctly.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2006, 07:12:19 PM by gittinit »

my favorite places:

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:12:51 PM »
Get an Air matres then your not sleeping on the ground you'll be sleeping on "air"  :camping:
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
jsut a refernce point, my boss has a 3/4 ton chevy with the tbi 350 in it, and according to uhauls standards, the weights are too close for it to pull an auto dolly with a toyota on it....

my friends f350 4x4 crew cab however is advised to pull the yota on a dolly or flatbed trailer

i personally would not tow doubles with just a 1/2 ton anything.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
jsut a refernce point, my boss has a 3/4 ton chevy with the tbi 350 in it, and according to uhauls standards, the weights are too close for it to pull an auto dolly with a toyota on it....

bah! standards schmantards. u-haul also says not to go over 45 mph with their trailers!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
bah! standards schmantards. u-haul also says not to go over 45 mph with their trailers!
:haha:  :clap2:

If you don't have first hand experience doing it then it doesn't matter whether you would or not. I would like to hear from someone whith first hand experience pulling doubles.
Get an Air matres then your not sleeping on the ground you'll be sleeping on "air"  :camping:

This isnt a joke right. I'm suppriesed you didn't suggest putting a full waterbed matress in the bed and covering up whith bags of ice.

my favorite places:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2006, 07:55:06 PM »

This isnt a joke right. I'm suppriesed you didn't suggest putting a full waterbed matress in the bed and covering up whith bags of ice.
ahaha! get a good 0 degree bag and you'll be fine
RIP KYOTA

rednk1980

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,295
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Pull Your Panties to the side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2006, 08:20:25 PM »
sorry just trying to help
HOLD ON TIGHT! :driving: :hammerhead:
1983 Toyota SR5 long box bobbed 17" doved 14" bed cage, 22re, w56 tranny, working on dual cases 23 spline 4.70 twin sticks driveline disco. Dana 44 front, Dana 60 rear disk brakes and ff.

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2006, 08:45:08 PM »
Ain't nothing like jack-knifing at 80 MPH!

Where I come from (Alabama), I hear of people becoming statistics everyday from improper loading.

Don't do it man!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2006, 10:00:43 PM »
To legally tow doubles you must have a fifth wheel and then you could legally tow a trailer or flat tow a vehicle behind it. You cannot tow a ball trailer and then another ball trailer. You also must also have a special permit from the DMV.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:24:54 AM »
To legally tow doubles you must have a fifth wheel and then you could legally tow a trailer or flat tow a vehicle behind it. You cannot tow a ball trailer and then another ball trailer. You also must also have a special permit from the DMV.
no special permit here in Arkansas  but  there should be

i would come closer to flat towing the yota  behind the chevy  with the popup  hooked to the yota  :dunno:

but like i said  if  all goes well  i'll come by  and drag it up there for ya

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:33:51 AM »
the problem is  the rear trailer  would be pushing the  front trailer,  if  any  sway  starts  with the trailer ,pulling doubles  only  magnifies that

in  some northern states  truckers  are allowed to pull triples,  but  after getting the rigs  straight, they must  hook  LARGE chains  between the trailers  that keep them from  swaying,  and they are only allowed to run  at 50mph in the right lane

if you had a 3/4 ton truck  it "could"  be done,  but a 1/2 ton chevy  is  too light

remember  last month when i drove to north arkansas  and got that  parts truck,  :aaa:  i wish  i had  had my  RV  pulling it  that night :sheerterror:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:37:23 AM »

remember  last month when i drove to north arkansas  and got that  parts truck,  :aaa:  i wish  i had  had my  RV  pulling it  that night :sheerterror:
yea that was kinda scary glen. :aaa: i wouldn't recommend doing it either gittinit.
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2006, 07:56:07 AM »
no special permit here in Arkansas  but  there should be

i would come closer to flat towing the yota  behind the chevy  with the popup  hooked to the yota  :dunno:

but like i said  if  all goes well  i'll come by  and drag it up there for ya

Here....... :doh: almost forgot where I am.......  In Cali they have a special license for non-commercial towing over a certain weight limit, air brakes or doubles.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2006, 09:19:37 AM »
Yep in CA you have to get a non commercial class A to tow a pull trailer behind a 5th wheel, I can't remeber the length/weight limits but thats what hangs most people up is being over length.  The dmv wont question your tow vehicle but a well educated cop will.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2006, 02:16:02 PM »
Don't do it!  It's just that simple.   

I can't imagine a half ton towing at least 5000 lbs of truck and trailer.  And then add on another 1000 lbs...  (loaded with food and water and gear)  We are all missing other things besides braking and whether your state allows it!  There's also, suspension, axles, tongue weight, cooling, and let's not forget tranny/clutch!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:06:54 PM »
the problem is  the rear trailer  would be pushing the  front trailer,  if  any  sway  starts  with the trailer ,pulling doubles  only  magnifies that

Thanks glen this is the only reasonably reply ,not to pull doubles ,yet

my favorite places:

Gittinit [OP]

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:13:18 PM »
Don't do it!  It's just that simple.  

I can't imagine a half ton towing at least 5000 lbs of truck and trailer.  And then add on another 1000 lbs...  (loaded with food and water and gear)  We are all missing other things besides braking and whether your state allows it!  There's also, suspension, axles, tongue weight, cooling, and let's not forget tranny/clutch!!

A little imagination is a good thing,if you can make it a reality. At least that is what I told myself when I started building my toyota, mabye I should have just bought a jeep and a bolt on lift. Keeping the tranny cool is probably the only other problem I havent addressed, I need a good aftermarket cooler. the rest that you mentioned is verry well uner control.

my favorite places:

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »
Thanks glen this is the only reasonably reply ,not to pull doubles ,yet

Uh, hello?  What about my post?  :disturbed:

Glad you're not gonna do it.  Don't want another statistic...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2006, 06:26:32 PM »
commercially, they pull doubles here in CA... but you are looking at pulling doubles with a Semi-tractor, and air brakes!
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~