Author Topic: SFA widening questions  (Read 1418 times)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
SFA widening questions
« on: Oct 14, 2006, 08:21:54 PM »
OK, I just picked up an 86 parts truck for $150 and I'm looking at using the IFS hubs to widen the front end.  From what I have found, there are two ways to do this.
A spacer method:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php/topic,10921.0.html

and a caliper relocation method:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245396&highlight=Kamirtoy

I don't really like the Pirate method.  Is there anyone other than Sky who makes the spacer, or is there another way to do this?  Also, does anyone know the thickness of the Sky spacer?  I was thinking of trying to find a rotor with the correct overall height and lug pattern to do this without the spacer, although I doubt that is possible.

Or have I totally missed the bus on this?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: SFA widening questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2006, 07:15:07 AM »
OK, I just picked up an 86 parts truck for $150 and I'm looking at using the IFS hubs to widen the front end.  From what I have found, there are two ways to do this.
A spacer method:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php/topic,10921.0.html

and a caliper relocation method:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245396&highlight=Kamirtoy

I don't really like the Pirate method.  Is there anyone other than Sky who makes the spacer, or is there another way to do this?  Also, does anyone know the thickness of the Sky spacer?  I was thinking of trying to find a rotor with the correct overall height and lug pattern to do this without the spacer, although I doubt that is possible.

Or have I totally missed the bus on this?

I can measure the spacer I have...but you'd need a caliper about an 1 1/2" thick to make it work. I don't know for sure, but I think Brian at FROR was the first to use make the spacers. He quit selling them when he started Diamond axle. Ultimately I want a Diamond, I think the spacer widened axle is a decent stop-gap fix until I can afford it/them.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »
I can measure the spacer I have...but you'd need a caliper about an 1 1/2" thick to make it work.

1 1/2" Caliper?  Whatchu talkin bout, mark?

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2006, 09:36:12 AM »
Just stick with the regular spacers and don't look back.  Just make sure before you wheel that you torgue the spacer nuts.