Author Topic: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)  (Read 230734 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Blackdiamond (Gup-C build-up)
« Reply #990 on: Feb 20, 2022, 11:43:34 AM »
Carl figured that he should take a look inside the Detroit Locker before putting things back together and discovered some wear on a spacer and what appears to be a missing bevel spring that apparently was never part of the assembly from new.  He has reached out to some others on a Gear Install Technical Group to confirm his thinking.  It appears that he found a replacement part from Just Differentials for $8 and he doesn't think the wear will create any longterm issues.  An $8 part is certainly better than a new locker!
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #991 on: Feb 21, 2022, 05:32:15 AM »
Would Carl say that what he is seeing in more like normal wear, premature failure due to defect, improper original installation, failure caused by bent axle housing or components, or caused by a lack of maintenance issue? :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: Feb 21, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »
Would Carl say that what he is seeing in more like normal wear, premature failure due to defect, improper original installation, failure caused by bent axle housing or components, or caused by a lack of maintenance issue? :dunno:

Gnarls. :inthedark:

I have not had a chance to chat with him much about it, but based on video he posted on the FB group it appears that my locker was missing an internal part that allowed the plate to shift and make contact with another part resulting in the wear. I think he planning to replace the spring washer and expects it to function as designed.

If you’re talking about the overall state of things I don’t have any idea.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: Feb 21, 2022, 03:59:46 PM »
It sounds like a replacement for the missing piece of the Detroit has been ordered. Now I can just hope that all of the parts will assemble without any further curiosities.

https://www.justdifferentials.com/DET70759-p/det70759.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2022, 04:08:32 PM by blackdiamond »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: Feb 21, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »
Carl was able to get an initial pattern with the new gears so the 3rd member seems to be ok. Just waiting for the missing part to arrive before what should hopefully be final assembly.  The missing piece is part of the “soft locker” assembly, so the might find that things are smoother with it working correctly for the first time since 2003.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #995 on: Feb 22, 2022, 01:01:37 AM »
It was installed in the 3rd around 2002. I doubt that installer wouldn’t have caught this issue since he was super picky.

Was the Detroit SL installed the same time the 3rd was installed?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:40:03 AM »
Was the Detroit SL installed the same time the 3rd was installed?

Gnarls.

The 3rd was built with the Detroit locker and 4.88 gears in 2002 or 2003 for my ‘85 truck. The build 3rd was simply swapped into the late model housing for my ‘89 4Runner build. I’m sure the Detroit was never opened up prior to this adventure.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: Feb 22, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Here is the initial pattern with the new gears.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: Feb 25, 2022, 04:59:55 AM »
It’s done and I’ll be picking it up after work today.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #999 on: Feb 25, 2022, 05:48:07 AM »
It’s done and I’ll be picking it up after work today.

Hey b....

I'm so glad you are finally getting to drive your vehicle again.

Could you detail what ALL was done?  :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:06:41 PM »
I picked up the 4Runner today after work and drove it home slowly and carefully since I'm breaking in the new ring and pinion.

- The rear housing was straightened.  It was bent fairly significantly.
- The axle bearings were replaced.  Once was bad and the other on the way out.
- The pinion and carrier bearings were replaced.  They had evidence of junk going through them at some point.
- The ring and pinion were replaced.  The pinion had a burr on one tooth and cracks in three others.  The ring gear also had at least one crack.  To the naked eye only the burr is visible, but they didn't setup quite right.
- The Detroit locker was rebuilt adding the missing belleville springs washer that seems to have been missing from the factory.

I only got it up to 60 mph for a very brief period of time and it seems that the wild vibration is gone, but being a 30+ year old vehicle it still has a lot of creaks and groans, so I didn't come home with a new feeling vehicle.  The rear differential feels tighter and the locker seems to be smoother though it's hard to really know at this point.  It'll be getting driven a lot more in the near future.  I'll probably put it on jack stands and verify that the vibration is 100% gone for my own peace of mind.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 26, 2022, 04:37:00 AM »
Hey b....

I would think that with your added equipment, your Runner is well over 4,000 lbs.

Have you weighed it and know what the weight is?  :dunno:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 26, 2022, 11:02:49 AM »
Hey b....

I would think that with your added equipment, your Runner is well over 4,000 lbs.

Have you weighed it and know what the weight is?  :dunno:

I have never put it on a scale. Why?

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 26, 2022, 02:43:57 PM »
I have never put it on a scale. Why?

I was thinking that the added weight would put extra stress on the powertrain, possibly causing premature drive train component failure.

Or... unexpected rear axle housing damage.

The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) minus the Curb Weigh (what it weighed ready to drive off the dealer's lot) = payload capacity (whatever added weight).

Towing Capacity = 3306 (according to Carsguide)
1989 4Runner Curb Weight = 3,760 lbs. (according to Wikipedia)

I could not find the GVWR of a 1989 Toyota 4Runner.

I doubt that the GVWR has been exceeded by the extra weight that has been added to the vehicle.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2022, 03:37:10 PM by Gnarly4X »

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 27, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
On the way to work this morning I was able to get the 4Runner above 60 mpg for a bit and it seems that thing really smooth out above 60 mph, but there’s still something happening in the 50-60 mph range that’s less than ideal.  At least it seems to be fairly solid at highway speeds now.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 28, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »
Carl is thinking that I most likely have a metal to metal contact point causing the current vibration. T-case mount, body mount, exhaust, etc.  I’ll have to find some time to do some looking.

For now, there’s enough other things in play that the 4Runner is most likely out for this years Moab trip. It’s not absolutely needed for our trip to be successful.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1006 on: Mar 01, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »
Carl is thinking that I most likely have a metal to metal contact point causing the current vibration. T-case mount, body mount, exhaust, etc.  I’ll have to find some time to do some looking.

For now, there’s enough other things in play that the 4Runner is most likely out for this years Moab trip. It’s not absolutely needed for our trip to be successful.

I'd say it was decidedly more up together than my first gen was for the rubicon trip.
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: Mar 01, 2022, 04:05:06 PM »
I'd say it was decidedly more up together than my first gen was for the rubicon trip.

From what I know about that trip I would have to agree. One significant difference is that you are far more suited for repairs along the way.  Trail repairs are not my cup of tea.

If this was a typical “boys” trip where the harder wheeling was the goal I’d probably risk it, but this trip is family wheeling centric so it’s just not worth it.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1008 on: Mar 02, 2022, 02:34:08 AM »
From what I know about that trip I would have to agree. One significant difference is that you are far more suited for repairs along the way.  Trail repairs are not my cup of tea.

If this was a typical “boys” trip where the harder wheeling was the goal I’d probably risk it, but this trip is family wheeling centric so it’s just not worth it.

By trail repairs you mean holding the transmission in with a ratchet strap round the sliders and changing a tyre?  The transmission waited till we got back before it grenaded   :laugh:
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2022, 02:42:34 AM by LittleSteve »

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1009 on: Mar 02, 2022, 04:17:40 AM »
By trail repairs you mean holding the transmission in with a ratchet strap round the sliders and changing a tyre?  The transmission waited till we got back before it grenaded   :laugh:

Geeezzz... Over the many years I wheeled, I have seen "trail repairs" that were nothing short of amazing!

On the downside..... half of them were the consequence of stupidity or inexperience. :gap:

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1010 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:12:56 AM »
Geeezzz... Over the many years I wheeled, I have seen "trail repairs" that were nothing short of amazing!

On the downside..... half of them were the consequence of stupidity or inexperience. :gap:

What can I say? Crossmember broke off.. wasn't of my making nor was it original and the tyre well, I guess rocks can be sharp.. the G series tranny was howling on the way there and on the way back soooo...

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: Mar 06, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »
I put the 4Runner on jackstands this morning and the vibration seems to steadily increase with speed instead of before when things got wild above 50 mph.  I took videos of both ends of the driveshaft and along the driveshafts length and I don’t see any obvious vibration movement.  Next I’ll look for contact related vibrations.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1012 on: Mar 06, 2022, 03:52:04 PM »
Geezzz... BD... have you been generating some really bad Karma?? :dunno:

Gnarls.  :usa:

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1013 on: Mar 07, 2022, 02:26:11 PM »
I put the 4Runner on jackstands this morning and the vibration seems to steadily increase with speed instead of before when things got wild above 50 mph.  I took videos of both ends of the driveshaft and along the driveshafts length and I don’t see any obvious vibration movement.  Next I’ll look for contact related vibrations.
Youve checked all the UJ's? Im going to assume it has no center besring?
Gear man checked the axle shafts for straightness?
The output of the tcase has no play?
Youve not lost any balance weights off the driveline?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: Mar 08, 2022, 05:33:32 PM »
Youve checked all the UJ's? Im going to assume it has no center besring?
Gear man checked the axle shafts for straightness?
The output of the tcase has no play?
Youve not lost any balance weights off the driveline?

The CV driveline is freshly rebuilt with new joints and balanced. Nobody has noted any play at the t-case output.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #1015 on: Mar 09, 2022, 01:55:22 AM »
Of course the "phasing" has been verified. :thumbs:

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: Mar 09, 2022, 05:37:47 AM »
Didn't read too far back, but you try getting your tires balanced or rotating them?

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:39:35 AM »
Of course the "phasing" has been verified. :thumbs:

I’d say yes in that it hasn’t been changed from when it was rebuilt and balanced. I’m not sure if you can really cause a phase issue with a CV style anyways.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:42:43 AM »
Didn't read too far back, but you try getting your tires balanced or rotating them?

I eliminated tires in multiple different ways prior to the rear end repairs, so it’s possible that they are contributing to the remaining vibration. I think I am working through multiple independent issues with overlapping symptoms. The worst of the vibrations is resolved, but now the secondary issue needs to be fixed.

My time when I’m motivated has been limited, so it’ll be a few weeks before I dig into it again.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: Mar 09, 2022, 07:53:10 PM »
Atleast you can go down the road now with less worries.  Got a question about your rear "tracbar" or axle wrap bar, you have any good suggestions on making/buying one?  I've noticed my rear leafs are super soft and daily driving on/off the gas results in alot of wind up.  I can actually watch the axle rotate a little by pushing back n forth on the truck with parking brake on.