Author Topic: CA suing car companies?  (Read 2458 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
CA suing car companies?
« on: Sep 20, 2006, 11:37:40 PM »
My dad passed this along to me.

Enjoy :stopit:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-09-20T175818Z_01_N20199499_RTRUKOC_0_US-ENVIRONMENT-AUTOS.xml&src=rss&rpc=23

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp., Toyota Motor Corp. and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler, and the North American units of Honda Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd..

It also charges that vehicle emissions have contributed significantly to global warming and harmed the resources, infrastructure and environmental health of the most populous state in the United States.

Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide."

Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.

The lawsuit comes after California passed legislation supported by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that requires the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 25 percent by 2020. California was the first state to mandate reduction of greenhouse gases.

California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

if its not one thing, its another.

Who wants to bet Lockyer drives a car? :dunno:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: CA suing car companies?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2006, 11:47:52 PM »
Who wants to bet Lockyer drives a car? :dunno: ...
Yeah, but it's a Benz, and thus not named, and not a significant problem to California's air quality. :bull crap:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
Yeah, but it's a Benz, and thus not named, and not a significant problem to California's air quality. :bull crap:

Well, they are suing Chrysler.  Didn't wanna make it too obvious

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:03:48 AM »
There should be one simple question the judge asks the lawyers to determine if the case continues:  Do you currently, or have you ever driven a car as a means of transport?  CASE DISMISSED on the grounds of being hyprocritical :hammer:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:04:50 AM »
And lawyers wonder why people hate them so damn much!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »
Can't find a link online right now, but an article in our paper this morning quotes Lockyer as saying the suit is an attempt to get some of the taxpayer's money back. :headshake:

I'm glad to hear that he's paying for the suit out of his pocket :thumbs: 

fricken moron! :slap:

-Ronald Reagan

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:06:42 PM »
This is just plain stupid. It is all based on the premise that "global warming" is even real. Don't get me started on this issue, 'cause if you as me it's a bunch of smoke and morrors in the first place.

They haven't said squat about the smoke belching factories that dump tons of pollutants into the air.

Also, what about the tons of mthane gas that leak into the air every year from natural sources. It's a "known chemical involved in green house gasses".

It's just stupid. Fricken politicians their all a bunch of idiots.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:36:48 PM »
This is just plain stupid. It is all based on the premise that "global warming" is even real. Don't get me started on this issue, 'cause if you as me it's a bunch of smoke and morrors in the first place.

They haven't said squat about the smoke belching factories that dump tons of pollutants into the air.

Also, what about the tons of mthane gas that leak into the air every year from natural sources. It's a "known chemical involved in green house gasses".

dont forget, the magnetic polls are moving (proven fact), and the earth goes through natural cycles every couple thousand-million years where the temp varies.

enough on the global warming (off topic), i cant believe some of the idiots in cali, i'm really glad i dont live there (hmmm, i think i'll go sue all of the automotive makers and "claim" its to help the local people)
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2006, 12:11:00 AM »

:werd:

-Ronald Reagan

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2006, 03:54:58 AM »
did you know that a cow release approx. as much CO2 as 10 cars a year. :moon:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2006, 05:52:38 AM »
did you know that a cow release approx. as much CO2 as 10 cars a year. :moon:

Plus my own modest contribution 

I have no doubt in my tiny little mind that the earth is warming and the we did nothing to cause it. It's part of a cycle. The current frenzy on the left is in reaction to junk science, a chicken little mentality and a need to find some other evil entity to blame. The left got CFCs banned in this country, although I can drive to Mexico and still get R12, they said that was the cause. I remember back in the 70's the "best and the brightest" science had to offer said the the earth was cooling and we were entering a new ice age.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)