Author Topic: Help Please - Lot of Play in Shifter - 1980 4X4 Pickup  (Read 14359 times)

i_luv_my_truck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -48
  • Male Posts: 157
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
Help Please - Lot of Play in Shifter - 1980 4X4 Pickup
« on: Sep 16, 2006, 11:51:46 PM »
Hello hope someone can assist,

My 1980 4X4 Pickup has alot of play in shifter.  Transmission: L43 4Speed, side mount shifter. 
The shifter has always been loose, sense I purchased the truck.  Other than it being loose, seems to work well.  Hits the center SR5 gauges when placing in third.

Is there anthing I can do, without removing the transmission?  Maybe it has some worn, whatever?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ernest
1977 Toyota Hilux 2wd - because because
1980 Toyota Hilux 4x4 - restoration project
1981 Toyota Trekker - nostalgia
1982 Toyota Hilux 4X4 LB - just because
1984 Toyota Hilux 4X4 - everyday driver
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder - for speed
1993 Toyota Previa - for relaxing
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093325/

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Heavy Duty Shifter Seat

It's common for the factory shifter seat to wear, crumble and disintegrate over time. This often results in a sloppy or loose transmission shifter. The factory seat is soft so it can be squeezed into position. We took a different approach, and machined groves into the sides of our heavy duty seats. Instead of squeezing the seat into place, the groves on each side allow ours to rotate into position. This allows us to make our seat from stronger, longer lasting hardened urethane. Our new heavy duty seats will far out last the stock units and will reduce shifter slop. Please state year and model when ordering. Two different sizes, one sizes fits W56A and W56B models, the other fits all other 4wd applications as well as all Toyota Celicas and Supras.

MC-10077, Heavy Duty Shifter Seat, All Other Toyota Applications, $10

MC-10078, Shifter Socket $6

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/trans_parts.htm

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
Thanks, for the info.  Will this also repair "L43 4Speed" which is side mount shifter.  I believe, all others are top mount.

Thanks again,
Ernest

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i dont know, i put one in my w55 tranny

the listing above says all others
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Is that setup actually used in an l43?  It's pretty easy to see the linkage from underneath the truck, and you could have a friend jiggle the shifter to see if you can pinpoint the slop.  I've never worried about it in mine cause I can still shift it faster than my w55 in my 2wd.  I'd just live with it till you can upgrade to a better 5 speed anyway, but that's just me.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
...I'll just need to take a look at it.  If nothing else, I can probably get the bushing at the dealership, if that's the problem.

I believe this transmission is one that most Crawlers, upgrade soon as possible.
Thanks for the brain storming.

Ernest

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Ernest,  you can easily  modify  the L43 shifter  to be alot  tighter

look at my buildup  i have pictures  around page 10  but  basically  the shifter seat that is solid,  unlike any other toyota tranny bolts to the tranny  side,  these bolts have rubber bushings in them that hold the shifter in place,  i modified mine  so these rubber bushings  were replaced with solid  metal inserts that i made

i could easily  make you a set or  just look at the pics  in my buildup
you canemail me from my profile  if you need more info,  btw  are those texas tags??   i'm in Arkansas
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Heavy Duty Shifter Seat

It's common for the factory shifter seat to wear, crumble and disintegrate over time. This often results in a sloppy or loose transmission shifter. The factory seat is soft so it can be squeezed into position. We took a different approach, and machined groves into the sides of our heavy duty seats. Instead of squeezing the seat into place, the groves on each side allow ours to rotate into position. This allows us to make our seat from stronger, longer lasting hardened urethane. Our new heavy duty seats will far out last the stock units and will reduce shifter slop. Please state year and model when ordering. Two different sizes, one sizes fits W56A and W56B models, the other fits all other 4wd applications as well as all Toyota Celicas and Supras.

MC-10077, Heavy Duty Shifter Seat, All Other Toyota Applications, $10

MC-10078, Shifter Socket $6

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/trans_parts.htm

NO

:nope:  not on a l43

the  shifter socket  [goes on the end of the shift lever] is needed  but i dont think its the same as the one pictured
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
Ernest,  you can easily  modify  the L43 shifter  to be alot  tighter

look at my buildup  i have pictures  around page 10  but  basically  the shifter seat that is solid,  unlike any other toyota tranny bolts to the tranny  side,  these bolts have rubber bushings in them that hold the shifter in place,  i modified mine  so these rubber bushings  were replaced with solid  metal inserts that i made

i could easily  make you a set or  just look at the pics  in my buildup
you canemail me from my profile  if you need more info,  btw  are those texas tags??   i'm in Arkansas
Houston, Texas... will email.
Thanks for the info,
Ernest

toyman2

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
there are bushing where the mounting bolts are,witch if gone will give a huge amount of slop.
take $5 and go to the dealer and get new ones and be done with it

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
there are bushing where the mounting bolts are,witch if gone will give a huge amount of slop.
take $5 and go to the dealer and get new ones and be done with it
:slap:  why replace them with rubber,  replace them with a metal bushing 

then all the slack is eliminated

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
...do I need to remove the transmission, to replace those bushings?

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
all you have to do is remove the shifter... which conists of taking the shift nob off the shifter handle and then pulling the boot over it.  then you simply unbolt the 6 or bolts that hold the shifter assembly in place.  Then replace the stock rubber bushing with your new poly one.  And replace the bottom one aswell.  This is very easy and takes very little time to do.  Just make sure you dont drop the nuts or washers from the shifter into the tranny.. cause then you will have to remove the tranny.  :biggthumpup:  if you have any more questions... let me know  :greengrin:
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
The L43 does NOT use a seat, it is machined into the cast iron two bolt shifter base.

It does however, use a special L43 shift handle socket that is smaller then all others. We have these sockets in stock.
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

i_luv_my_truck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Toyota Crawler
    • View Profile
    • My Rig
OK, I'm ready to remove bolts for adding bushings.  How do I get a tool in the tight space for removing bolts?  Is it a special tool/wrench I need?  Thanks for any help.  Ernest

elrob20

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
I have the same exact issue. Im interested in 79coyotefrg's metal inserts but I cant reach him because im a new member. Contact me if you can and let me know how much you want for them. elrobvolvo@yahoo.com

Thanks, Rob