Author Topic: 22R "airbox" conversion/homemade snorkel questions  (Read 8727 times)

HyDesertMutant

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
22R "airbox" conversion/homemade snorkel questions
« on: Jan 17, 2004, 05:27:50 AM »
Hello board!
I've been itching to put a snorkel on my 82 pickup, but since all the examples I've seen for sale are way expensive- I'm going to build my own. The snorkel routing, fender cutting, and ducting seems like no real problem, but I'm having trouble visualizing what do to about the actual intake at the carberator.
  What I would like, is to do away with the stock air filter/intake setup and convert it to a fuel injection style airbox or cone filter...Retaining old parts and being able to revert it back to stock condition for smog checks is also part of the overall scheme.
Does anybody know anybody who has modified thier intake situation for a carberated 22R?
Any input on this thread is greatly appreciated and I will post pictures on another thread of the process as I go.
Thanks!

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
btt i want to do the same thing... home made kit that is.   
Lets go camping

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Black ABS is the common homemade snorkel
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
You shouldn't need the efi style air box, it would just be one more thing to have to modify and make water tight.  You should be able to just plumb a 3" duct from the air filter housing to the fender.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

CrawlerBrennan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9207
  • Male Posts: 428
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
what about running it from the factory location to the factory hole on the driver side firewall for access to the wiper motor???
Lets go camping

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Not a complete snorkel but I like how a Suzuki Samurai is plumbed into the vent area below the windshield. Personally if I went any deeper than that I'd be  :censored: bricks.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Sleeve of Wizzard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 293
  • Member since Feb '09
  • It's craptaculer
    • View Profile
Got any pictures of anything that you've started? I want to do this as well. Also I want to be sure that I don't forget to water proof anything else (electrical, breathers, Etc.) any one have a list of things to do?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Here is what I did with mine on my 3.0. The first picture is the first one, the seconded is how it is now.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Well here is my idea I have been working on. Start with a Donaldson G070019 air cleaner assembly.
Then gather you some 3" silcone inter cooler tube connectors or simular hose and band clamps.
Then have your local muffler shop bend you some custom intake and snorkel pipes and put it all together.
You will need to find or fab some sort fo air ram/weather cap for the top of your snorkle tube to keep the rain out.

Cleaner housing check at any partstore that sells Donadlson filters they can order it for you out of the catalog.
https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10087&item=16145

Constant torque clamps
https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebStore/search/item_detail.html?section=10086&item=10594

ARB air ram $69
http://www.trsfabandoffroad.com/products/arb_snorkels.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2009, 12:22:58 AM by redpim1 »
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

Toylet13

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I found a good writeup on a $30 snorkel project, went and built mine and then got to chicken to drill the hole through my fender! You can route it however you want I was gonna shoot mine up the side of my windsheild like an ARB. Anyway here's the link
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Projects/Snorkel/Custom_Snorkel.htm