Author Topic: !MCR5! Story/Pic Thread  (Read 57609 times)

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
!MCR5! Story/Pic Thread
« on: Sep 10, 2006, 10:39:45 PM »
 I had a great time this whole weekend and didnt run into any real problems with my truck. The most annoying part was my bent driveline and having to drive all the way home at 45-50mph. Its late and im to tired to get pictures up and saved now but ill be posting up pictures tomorrow. If you have any pictures from the weekend post them up! Thanks again Marlin.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2006, 11:40:43 AM by kiyul4130 »
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: !MCR5! Story/Pic Thread
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »
Had a blast, I havn't got any pictures up yet either. First 2 minutes of the trail I was mobbing it in 2wd, ended up slidding off a 4' drop off and hit hard busting all my bolts off the rear driveline.. got it fixed and the only other prob's I had was about 100 yard out of Old Sluice the shock decided to sheer off the valve and blew out everything... so I drove it on the link with a completely collapsed shock to Buck Island. Other then that I just tore up the front and rear limit straps... easy fix.. nothing major.. first run out still fixing all the bugs. I'll be drilling the driveline and flange for a 14mm bolt tomorrow and fixing a few little things. All in all it was a great time and our group had a blast!!

Can't wait for MCR6!
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2006, 05:49:03 AM »
mcr5 was a blast this year!, thanks marlin again for everything.  im a little dissapointed I didnt win the most equiped truck award :beer: hahaha but its cool.  All my wheelin buddies are the best though and I cant wait to do it again.  Shamb you shouldnt have turned around after the shock blew dude you didnt have much further to go to the party

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
What a blast. My friend and I didn't get to the trail until Saturday around 11:00 am. We jammed on in, after a slight setback, ( we broke the transfercase crossmember, somewhere before the Little Sluice ) we made it to the big sluice 20 trucks behind the dude with a broken knuckle. He held up the trail for about an hour and a half. The last count I heard for how many rigs were held up was 67. We made it into the Springs around 7:30 or so. Just in time for the last of the food.  :biggthumpup:

Sunday it looked like the end of a battle, and all the wounded marching out that could. Jeeps pulling Jeeps that lost a rear axle, or a transfercase, I saw a jeep Grand Cherokee that had blown his front axle, and was trying to make it up Cadillac Hill.

There was something that made me a bit angry. We made it out the trail, and started heading down on Hwy 89 and one of the front knuckles came loose. We had to dismantle the troubled knuckle, dig out the broken stud, and stuff it all together, and we saw a fair amount of rigs go by, and not one stopped to see if we needed a hand.  We had it under control, hit the road, and not too far we ran into OldYeller and Minisimp with an exploded rear third member. We stopped and saw if they needed a hand, and they did. I know that those guys were there a while and saw the same guys that passed us. We helped them out with a jack and moral support. More rigs drove by, one actually slowed down, but Oldyeller waved him on since things were coming together. I can't stand to drive by a fellow wheeler that is broken down without seeing if he needs help. What is happening to our sport?

Besides that, I want to run the trail again. That was the first time we both ran the Con', and it is the Best trail I have ever been on. I won't be able to make it next year because I will be out of the country, but MCR7, I am there!!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2006, 09:30:52 AM »
YES it sure was a blast!! I'm amazed at all the mishaps this trip :sad2: I wish the best to the two unfortunate finger people.  :therethere: 

I rolled in with the Mammoths, MiniSimp, snowshoebrue, BLINGN XJ, BLACKDOG, and RUGER.  Had rockscrambler as my passenger and RUGER had UncJ with him.  We went in through Loon, I ended up driving the Amigo in from the KOA in Shingle Springs to the trailhead, that was an adventure.  We hit the trail around 10:30am on Friday and finally made it to the springs around midnight after I had to get my driveshaft rebuilt (thank you Mark and Marlin :smooch: ) and MiniSimp busted his pivot plate on his rear axle.  We camped there then headed out Cadillac on Sunday.  Ended up making it out, dropped my tie rod on the smoothest part of the road :shake:

Had to park the rigs there and drive the Amigo all the way back to the Loon trailhead to get the other tow rigs.  Toasted my transfer case :rivers: and blew my rear driveshaft's CV :shake:  I bumped into Marlin and 4.3 Headache and Josh and Otto there and they insisted I wasn't driving it back to the KOA (as planned).  So Josh and Otto (some of Marlin's long time friends) drove their rig and towed the Amigo out for me.  :love:

It was a great weekend overall, but I'm glad to be home.  I ended up with all 4's in the air and landing on my spare tire (mounted on my tailgate :shudder: ) on Caddilac... that was quite a wake up call. 

Marlin, thank you for everything!! You da MAN!!!! :smooch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2006, 09:51:41 AM »
I was a pretty cool weekend in all. met a lot of cool people from the board. not happy with my truck at all though.  Time for some dana 60's. i got denied by little sluice.  then broke all 4 drivers side nuckle studs right above old sluice.  that took a good hour and a half to replace the nuckle.  i am sorry i held up traffic there.  not much i could do.  I tried backing up to an open spot but it didn't work out.  we then got to big sluice with no other problems untill David (RHG) broke 3 uckle studs on his drivers side.  i gave him my highlift and my big socket and they got that fixed as soon as they could.  on the was out i ended up breaking another hub stud so i unlocked that hub and 3 wheeled it out of the trail.  it was a good time but it looks like there will be a lot of money going into my truck soon.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:14:18 AM »
Shamb you shouldnt have turned around after the shock blew dude you didnt have much further to go to the party

We started going into the springs and got about 100 yards before Johns shackles inverted and bent the hell out of the springs, then his woman started getting really sick. Took us close to 2 1/2 maybe 3 hours to get the shackles back the correct way. Meet up with BigMike and he helped us out  :thumbs:

Nah.. I really wish we could have made it but after all the stuff that broke on the way in/out from our group.. we were exhausted. After we plugged my shock and filled it with hydro fluid to keep it up I mobbed the crap out of the truck on the way out, also got my girl to drive which was a blast!! 

Although we didn't make it all the way in we still had a great time, we WILL make it to the springs next year.. even if we have to 2 wheel it the entire way.

BTW!  Was I the only one who heard the jack-ass blasting what sounded like a train horn at all hours of the night?!?!  That was annoying!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

BTW!  Was I the only one who heard the jack-ass blasting what sounded like a train horn at all hours of the night?!?!  That was annoying!

You were not the only one.  lots of people heard it.  i heard him blow it a couple times saturday night too.

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
Who saw the bear? I heard someone scream.

rlwjaw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2006, 10:33:41 AM »
Dont know about any bears but my son saw a bob cat while out running his rc crawler.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:06:11 AM »

There was something that made me a bit angry. We made it out the trail, and started heading down on Hwy 89 and one of the front knuckles came loose. We had to dismantle the troubled knuckle, dig out the broken stud, and stuff it all together, and we saw a fair amount of rigs go by, and not one stopped to see if we needed a hand.  We had it under control, hit the road, and not too far we ran into OldYeller and Minisimp with an exploded rear third member. We stopped and saw if they needed a hand, and they did. I know that those guys were there a while and saw the same guys that passed us. We helped them out with a jack and moral support. More rigs drove by, one actually slowed down, but Oldyeller waved him on since things were coming together. I can't stand to drive by a fellow wheeler that is broken down without seeing if he needs help. What is happening to our sport?

I drove by ya. I saw you looked like it was under control at the time. I did stop for minisimp because I was not sure what was goin on there. I actually was on my way to pick up lilbuddy at the top of the grade on 50. Blown motor!!! I took him all the way to Chico. Then drove home. Have no fear, chivalry's not dead yet!
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:11:16 AM »
lilbuddy's truck :nuke:  :sad2:
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:14:59 AM »

I understand where you're comin from RockSlayer.  I did see Mini and oldyeller on my way down the hill, and I wanted to stop. However, I was driving on a toasted transfer case and blown CV driveshaft, and I still had to go to the Loon trailhead to get the tow rigs for the OTHER rigs at the Tahoma entrance.  It looked to me like they were just tightening up their load :shake:

I didn't see any other rigs on the side of the road on my way down except for around eleven at the Shell at Sly Park.  The guys who towed me down to the KOA went back and towed them to Napa (at least that was the plan when I was there.

Scott, I didn't hear bout lilbuddy's unfortunate event :sad2: I'm sorry to hear bout that.  It's great that you helped him get home though!!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
I understand that when someone pulls over at the first sign of mass destruction, a person driving by might not see anything that looks serious. And that's understandable. When I rolled up on Minisimp, he had his rear axles half way pulled out, and a leaning highlift jack. A bunch of rigs drove by without even a wave. That is BAD JU-JU in my book. I don't mean to rant, it just got under my skin a bit.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:24:18 AM »
I understand that when someone pulls over at the first sign of mass destruction, a person driving by might not see anything that looks serious. And that's understandable. When I rolled up on Minisimp, he had his rear axles half way pulled out, and a leaning highlift jack. A bunch of rigs drove by without even a wave. That is BAD JU-JU in my book. I don't mean to rant, it just got under my skin a bit.

Totally understandable :thumbs:

kiyul4130 [OP]

• Brown Star Award
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:28:09 AM »
i had a very good time. it was my first trip through the rubicon and i plan to do it again. i look forward to going to #6 next year. oh and thank you marlin for helping me out with that diff plug. i ripped one out of my front diff 15min into the trail and he was behind me to give me a new one and a tap to re thread my diff.  :thumbs:  :thumbs: ill get pics up here with in an hour or so.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

kiyul4130 [OP]

• Brown Star Award
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2006, 11:37:20 AM »

the same thing happened to lil buddy, me, and rockcrawlintoy. Chris' motor blew 10 miles out of south lake on 50 and we saw countless rigs go by and by but no one stopped. Dave and Chris from the toyota mag stopped 20 minutes after we were there but since they couldnt help they left. I was there for over an hour with chris, and then BigMike showed up along with a few other people finally. Thank you guys. Chris finally got trailered out 3 hrs later or so. it just sucks that more people didnt stop to just check and see if things were all right.
-kiyul-
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2006, 12:44:55 PM »
mcr5 was a blast this year!, thanks marlin again for everything.  im a little dissapointed I didnt win the most equiped truck award :beer: hahaha but its cool.  All my wheelin buddies are the best though and I cant wait to do it again.  Shamb you shouldnt have turned around after the shock blew dude you didnt have much further to go to the party
Pat I was LMAO!! "Its got some stuff"  :rofl2:

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2006, 12:49:26 PM »
lilbuddy's truck :nuke:  :sad2:

yep, called Mike on the way home last night and he said lb blew it up and it was a 3 hour extraction.

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »
had a good time.  except for getting home at 5 this morning.  cruzed out cadilac side with blingn and ffc, ruger, blackdog, mammoths.  had to use a cum a long to pull my axle back forward because of a broken centering pin.  then down to loon back to tahoe back to modesto.  12 hours of driving.  oh that and driving around tahoe suberbia trying to find the staging area.  we were told mckinney not mckinney rubicon road. blingn and me drove around for 45min at midnight.  finally saw someone watching tv and went and nocked on their door and got directions.  funny part was that the older gentelman answered the door with a STUN GUN.  but they turned out to be really nice and gave us directions.

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 11, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »
got to loon at 7pm and met up with CJ,Dean from marlin and their friend Mike and Doug at lil sluice,went to buck and it was kinda full,CJ lost his front drain plug,luckily we noticed it soon.easy fix..so we kept going then thru old sluice slid off a rock on my driver side door,finally got on my slider pivoted got thru no problem then bam crushed passenger front fender,meanwhile my front drain plug threaded out stripped the last 4 threads out.good thing we close to springs drove with no oil in the front axle,got the springs around 2am.Marlin just happened to have tap.rethreaded the axle,back in bussiness.got to meet a lot of really nice people,food was good.still dont think a stock ifs should've won best truck..sunday up cadillac hill at 8am was pretty easy,the only problem was a guy in his pretty jeep how didnt want to scratch it took to long.Hey kiyul 4130 i saw you at the top of echo i slowed downed and yelled do need help and you waved so i thought you guys were good.i was going to turn around..sorry.Thanks Marlin..

.SLOYOTA.   WES
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2006, 01:41:07 PM by sloyota »
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2006, 01:21:46 PM »
the only problem was a guy in his pretty jeep how didnt want to scratch it took to long.

that jeep ended up busting his ring and pinion then instead of winching out tried to go out in 2 wheel broke his tierod held the whole trail up for a long time

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »
Anyone get pics of the Kyle (not sure of screen name, in maroon 3rd gen) and Rocky show? I'd say the 2 best runs thru soup can Friday afternoon. Kyle with no crawler hammering his way to the top and Rocky, LMAO, lined er up at the bottom and just throttled it and held on, got to the top and did a u-turn on the pass side TWO wheels almost saved it then yard sale. Good show!!

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:30:33 PM »
I still think he coulda drove outa that.......[turn right yell] aaahhhhhhh!!!

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:37:27 PM »
wish you could have gotten ahold of me, we went right by Chico last night, coulda saved you some gas and time

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
KYOTA I saw you (and your wife?) cruise through Buck when it was getting dark, very nice rig dude!

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:51:35 PM »
The trip was was awesome, Met alot of people who know how to wheel and have a good time. The Oregon crew will be back in april for the Hammers to see you all again. I got a bunch of pics to post up later, I'm to lazy right now. Oh yea remember to keep it G rated for Marlin   :beerchug:
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 11, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
Here's a few pics of the Rocky show. I have the whole thing on video ill post up later.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

KYOTA

• Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »
KYOTA I saw you (and your wife?) cruise through Buck when it was getting dark, very nice rig dude!

thanks! almost put that new cage to the test this weekend :talkingn:

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 11, 2006, 03:55:39 PM »
Anyone get pics of the Kyle (not sure of screen name, in maroon 3rd gen) and Rocky show? I'd say the 2 best runs thru soup can Friday afternoon. Kyle with no crawler hammering his way to the top and Rocky, LMAO, lined er up at the bottom and just throttled it and held on, got to the top and did a u-turn on the pass side TWO wheels almost saved it then yard sale. Good show!!
I have some video of Rocky at the soup can but I dont know how to post it.