Author Topic: Mounting newer seats  (Read 3506 times)

BikerTrash

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
Mounting newer seats
« on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »
Well, went junk yard crawling and found a set of clean seats out of a 95 eagle talon.
They fit pretty well as far as the size of them goes but the brackets are pretty far off. The rear, the bolt holes are placed about right front to back, but are 4 inches or so to far apart. in the front they are only 2 inches to far apart but need to move forward a little over three inches.

In the rear I am in the process of making an adaptor bracket out of 2"x1/4" flatbar, It will bolt down into the factory holes and then have a pair of studs for securing the seat.

My thought is  to just make a mount that will be bolted to the floor again studs on top to secure the seat down. I will have to remove the stock seat mount to make way for a bracket on the new seats, either that or raise the fronts about  an inch and a half higher than the stock seats sat.

If any one sees anything potentially dangerous about the way I am setting this up, please let me know, as it is I think I might be over building it but I sure don't want to under build anything on this truck.

Made a quick little diagram of what I am thinking of doing.

There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4
(please note, listed in order of preference)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting newer seats
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:11:18 PM »
its hard to tell but maybe u can weld the  sliders/brackets from the old seats to the new one
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »
Either that of weld plates to the bottom of the mounts on the new seats and drill new holes that line up.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:22:14 PM »
I haven't welded in about a year so I practiced a little bit on this. All I have to work with is a little Chicago electric flux core welder, The poor little thing only has a 20% duty cycle when I set it hot enough to weld anything this thick.

its hard to tell but maybe u can weld the  sliders/brackets from the old seats to the new one

The widths at the sliders are a little bit off(about an inch and a half I think I measured), and I would hate to mess up the new seats while cutting on them, my welding is REALLY rusty and I would probably just burn right through them :-\. I didn't pay much for them but I would hate to have to dig long enough to find another set of used seats this clean.

... But I haven't put that much work into brackets, come morning I will probably look into if I can make this work.
Either that of weld plates to the bottom of the mounts on the new seats and drill new holes that line up.

I had thought about that first, but with the front mounts so far forward, that wouldn't want to twist the stock front seat mounts?
There is a fine line between clever and stupid, I just wish I knew when I crossed it.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2006, 07:40:34 PM »
I don't know...It is hard for me to come up with a solution when I can't see it in real life, but I would think that you could come up with some brackets todisplace the mounts.  If you need extra stability you could put a small cross member between the front supports.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »
the metal where the rear bolts to the floor is thick,  you can just drill a hole where the eagle  seat  needs them

i wouldnt use the "adapter"  i would use the top sketch

solid square tube with bolts thru the floor  and bolts into the seat bracket
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MR_DIY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2006, 08:12:50 PM »
whatever is easiest for you.  the actual seat mounts aren't super important.... it's your safety belt/harness that keeps you in place. I think you may be overthinking it... you got it under control though. good luck
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2006, 06:42:55 PM »
Well, had to run errands till about 5pm today, worked till dark and I just about have the mounts for the passengerside finished.

Kinda stepped back looked considered all of your suggestions (thanks by the way) and am trying to just follow the path of least resistance to get them in.

Should have some pics of the finished product (for both sides if I am lucky) by tomorrow evening.

Oh BTW They had a wire coming out of the console grounded to the passenger seat, White with a black stripe, Does any one know offhand what that is for?

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »

Oh BTW They had a wire coming out of the console grounded to the passenger seat, White with a black stripe, Does any one know offhand what that is for?
possibly a seatbelt/weight sensor
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »
Ok, So no big deal then. My seatbelt light is burnt out anyway. :greengrin:

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2006, 11:07:19 PM »
OK, Finished the install on the seats on Monday.

Managed to mess up the brackets, took my time, got the passenger side brackets just right, then made exact copys of them for the driverside with out measuring the floorboard on the drivers side first. Turns out the mounting holes are further back on the drivers side  :gap: On the bright side, where I keep my seat set it is even with the passengerside seat when it is all the way back.

The Good: Pretty comfortable, good and firm but well shaped.
               No metal showing through holes in the upholstery.
               Sits higher, no longer feel like I am sitting on the floor.
               Reclines.

The Bad:   Might be my imagination but I think they have a lean to them towards the center of the truck, going to need to get some flat washers and fix that.
               Armrest on the console is still at the same hight.
               Miss the way that the Toyota headrest rotated forward.

Also is included is a pic of my new shifter boots that I got for my birthday.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2006, 11:15:22 PM »
ok, first before and after shots.

Then the brackets, after the first set was painted and in the middle of makeing the second.

Final pick is the old seat out of the truck. The before shot really does not do it justice

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2006, 11:20:42 PM »
Wanted to get these but hated to pay what toyota was asking. Got them as a birthday present so YAY.

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
lookin good

btw  dont get shorter shaocks get extended shock towers
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BikerTrash [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2006, 12:06:49 AM »
lookin good

btw  dont get shorter shaocks get extended shock towers

Sounds good, I was going to  put the stock shackles back on but didnt want to buy new shocks, never considered new towers. Merci Beaucoup

84 4runner
02 Suzuki V-Strom
95 Honda 1100C1
06 Ram 2500 4x4