Author Topic: The even newer than the last new guy, new guy  (Read 3454 times)

TxFireman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
The even newer than the last new guy, new guy
« on: Apr 18, 2008, 12:20:29 AM »
Hey guys, just joined the forum. I just bought a 1982 SR5 SB 4WD and thought I'd join up to learn a little more about them. I have not received the truck yet. It's located out in AZ, and I'm having it shipped to me. I'd drive it back, but it uses water due to a bad head, and it would cost me about the same money to go drag it back on a trailer myself. So, I'm letting the shippers do it.

Anyway, about me, I'm not new to wheeling, or to forums, just new to Toyota's. I've pretty much always driven fullsize Chevy 4x4's, which I still own 2 of, along with my wifes 06 H3. A bunch of my buddies drove yota's back in the 80's, but since my dad owned a woodworking shop, I drove a fullsize to haul all his lumber in for him. But I always liked them, and I recently started looking around for one. So now that I have one (well, will soon anyway) I thought I'd see what all I can do to it. I actually plan to keep it pretty mild for the most part. I have a dedicated trail rig project (89 K5) that I'm hopefully going to be doing this summer, so the yota won't be a main wheeler. It's mostly going to be my daily driver, for when I'm traveling alone (which is most of the time) and I'll use my 97 chevy ext-cab for when I have the kiddos with me. I figured maybe I'd get a couple of miles to the gallon better in it (maybe) and get the truck I would have liked to have gotten years ago. So, it will probably be a win win for me either way.

The truck has been owned by the same owner since 1987. He only used it to go hunting/fishing/trailriding in, and for the occasional drive here and there. When he bought it, it only had 40,000 on it. It's pretty much bone stock with the exception that it's got a camper built onto it. It could be removed, but it's actually screwed into the bed etc, and meant to be permanent. So, I'll probably keep it that way, and if I just don't like it, I'll probably find another bed and use it. Then turn the camper/bed into a pull along trailer. But, I'm going to wait and see first. The tires are 30", and I may see about moving up to some 32" at the most, for now . I'm sure as I go through the truck replacing things that might need replacing, I'll probably upgrade to some goodies from here at marlin. I'm a firm believer in overkill, as long as I can afford it, so even though the truck won't be a rockcrawler, I'll be setting down the tracks for it to be, if it ever goes that route. But, my main plan it to just daily drive it, and use it for camping, fishing.. and for me and my buddy to run down to the coast in to surf.

Well, if you're still reading this your probably getting bored, so I'll throw up a couple of pics of the truck, that the owner sent me. I'm looking forward to getting it, and cleaning it up a bit, and getting it the way I want it.

He had the door made as wide as the wheel wells, and built storage between the WW's and bedsides.

Here is a shot of the fold down CB anttena mount. The anttena is kept behind the seat when not in use.

dash shot

The rear window pass through to the camper.

The 22R

A shot up top of the rack on the camper.

I'll need replace the head once I get it. Very interested in finding out more about the 20r/22r hybrid, since I'll need a new head anyway. He said the engine runs fine, just that the head had a failure in an area common on the 22r head. I guess it's visible when the exhuast man is removed becuase he mentioned he removed it to confirm it. But, I will more than likely doa  rebuild for good measure just so I can get another 26 years out of her.  :)

So, I just wanted to say hello. I'll probably not be posting a lot right now, and doing a bit of searching for topics of interest. If I can't find the answers, or have questions, then I'll fire some off.
82 Toyota SR5 SB 4WD stock w/ 30's
97 Chevy K1500 4" w/ 33's
89 Chevy K5 (Trail project, w/ a huge parts pile)
06 Hummer H3 stock w/ 33's

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: The even newer than the last new guy, new guy
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2008, 03:53:55 AM »
 :welcome:

Nice 1st Gen.  From the looks of the 1st pic I would check for frame rust where the rear leaf spring mounts to frame right behind the cab.  They are famous for rust here.  Its an AZ truck the had a camper shall so that might have saved it.  If you find some patch it up before its too late.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »
Yeah, I'll get under it when I get it and give a good exam on the underside to check for anything that needs attention. I do know the truck has always been in AZ, and the camper has been on for about 15 years.

RK

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 757
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Me, crazy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »
Welcome to Marlin!

thats a very nice rig!
Max
Black Hole Racing - 84 Jackalope/79 Devil Bunny/87 Golf - Service rig: 2012 Ram 3500

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:05:21 AM »
Clean truck and :welcome: 2 :turtle:

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »
nice lookin first gen bro  :yupyup: and  :welcome: to   :turtle3: land!!!  :beerchug:
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2008, 11:14:34 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. I can't take any credit for the yota since it's the way it is due to the prvious owner. But, I do agree it seems to be a clean little truck. It certainly has a unique look to it, with the camper set up. I have some plans that I think will put some final touches on it, over all. I'm really looking forward to getting it, and learning some more about the early yota's along the way.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2008, 05:17:38 AM »
ooooo! i cant wait :gap:
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
That thing is sweet, makes me want to go find another 1st gen.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

porkchop

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 630
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Yeah 2 @ 1 time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »
neat truck man
85 TRUCK AUSSIE IN FRONT LINCON AROUND BACK MARLIN 4" SPRINGS UP FRONT WITH 63 CHEVYS ON BACK. REBUILT 22R WITH CRAWL CAM AND FEW OTHER THINGS NOTHING HUGE JUST WAITING TO GET PROPANE ON IT. RUNNIN 35'S M/T WITH MY LONGFIELDS 30 SPLINE SUPER AXLES. 4.7's IN T-CASE AND ON THE WAY WITH DUAL CASES. FULL HYDRO WITH TG ROCK ASSULT PUMP AND 2 X 6 AG RAM

solar86yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 296
  • Member since Mar '08
  • Solar-Rockin' the IFS till it dies!(Then it sits)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2008, 09:58:06 PM »
Welcome to Marlin!! Your'e gonna love that Toy.....Good old 22r!!(9@#$% THE CARB HATERS) OOOH, and it's a five speed!! Looks like a great truck!!!!
By the time I get the money for an SAS I'll be 65 at this rate!

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »
Thanks again, everyone. I really wish I knew a "for sure" date to expect it to arrive. I'm getting ansy. My buddy arranges shipping for people who buy cars aross the country, and he told me with the higher cost of diesel, there just are not as many shipping trucks wandering around out there. Companies are a little more selective about each run, and usually want a completley full load before they go. So, it translates to longer shipping times, and fewer trucks running around out there. But it will get here soon.. just not soon enough for me. LOL

I probably should have just dragged a trailer out there and brought it back, but with it costing me around the same money, this is probably the better solution. I reckon it just goves me time to read up on the 1st gen's a little more.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
I probably should have just dragged a trailer out there and brought it back, but with it costing me around the same money, this is probably the better solution. I reckon it just goves me time to read up on the 1st gen's a little more.
Remeber your time is worth something too  :yesnod:

Nice 1st gen you picked up  :thumbs:
:welcome: 2 crawl land
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Homefries

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:17:01 AM »
 :welcome::turtle:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
:welcome:  great rig to start out with too!

I'm guessing the head failed around the rear coolant ports.  People don't pay attention to the ground strap that goes from the back of the head to the firewall, forget to put it back on after doing work, hook it to the valve cover or run too much water in the system and they corrode on the water ports until it pushes coolant past the sealing ring on the head gasket.  I got a few years out of mine after that happened, but if I could go back in time I would have just replaced the rod/main bearings and I'd still be driving it now and would have about 400k miles on that block by now.

Hybrid is easy, as long as you have the early/original block and not a newer block.  Get a good 20r head and intake manifold (have bigger valves installed if you want to squeeze out more potential, and consider porting it to really help), order an adapter from lc engineering so you can run your stock 22r carb on the 20r intake manifold (much better than a weber), get a factory toyota head gasket (discount here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16415.0 ) and new head bolts and you'll see decent power to atleast 1000 rpm more than a stock 22r! 

I'd also suggest getting a good header at this point (read: no pace setter junk!) and completing it with atleast 2.25" free flowing exhaust all the way back.

You have an excellent platform to start out with and can have a very nice and capable truck for not a lot. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
:welcome:  great rig to start out with too!

I'm guessing the head failed around the rear coolant ports.  People don't pay attention to the ground strap that goes from the back of the head to the firewall, forget to put it back on after doing work, hook it to the valve cover or run too much water in the system and they corrode on the water ports until it pushes coolant past the sealing ring on the head gasket.  I got a few years out of mine after that happened, but if I could go back in time I would have just replaced the rod/main bearings and I'd still be driving it now and would have about 400k miles on that block by now.

Hybrid is easy, as long as you have the early/original block and not a newer block.  Get a good 20r head and intake manifold (have bigger valves installed if you want to squeeze out more potential, and consider porting it to really help), order an adapter from lc engineering so you can run your stock 22r carb on the 20r intake manifold (much better than a weber), get a factory toyota head gasket (discount here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16415.0 ) and new head bolts and you'll see decent power to atleast 1000 rpm more than a stock 22r! 

I'd also suggest getting a good header at this point (read: no pace setter junk!) and completing it with atleast 2.25" free flowing exhaust all the way back.

You have an excellent platform to start out with and can have a very nice and capable truck for not a lot. 
You're probably spot on, as to the head issue. I remember Him saying something about corrosion, because he was thinking it was because he would drive a bit, then it would sit for a while and so on and so on. It was never his daily driver, just his hunting camping rig.

So, if you're correct on the area/cause of the head failure, would you recommend a rebuild? I was thinking about doing it, but figured it might be worth a look to see how things looked inside first. My friend mentioned his 83's 22R never ran as good after his rebuild, but that could be for a number of reasons.

My main goal is to have a good reliable engine, that gets good mileage and makes descent HP.  Better then stock power is cool, but not completely important as reliability and effeciency are to me.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2008, 02:48:53 PM »
Depends on what the cylinder bores look like.  If they're clean and everything appears tight, I'd just do the head swap.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »
Depends on what the cylinder bores look like.  If they're clean and everything appears tight, I'd just do the head swap.
Cool beans, bro. I'll give it a good going over and then go from there. I'd like to get the engine squared away, and get it on the road ASAP after I get it. But not going to cut corners, of course, to make it happen. Thanks again.

hatt0710

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:08:53 PM »
Nice yota, welcome to the mini truck world, you won't be dissapointed, toyota rule the trail every now and then we let jeep in a chance in the light :)

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
Woo Hoo.. the truck is getting picked up from the owners place in AZ tomorrow. Shouldn't be too much longer.

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:47:34 AM »
Tx just wondering  you a paid or vol. fireman?

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »
man that thing looks nice. 1st gens kick butt. welcome to marlin!!

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »
Tx just wondering  you a paid or vol. fireman?

I'm a paid FF, with the city of San Antonio, TX. I've been in the fire service for 18 years now (not all of them with SAFD).

On another note, the truck wasn't able to be picked up today. The truck driver coming to get it, had some mech issues. So, he's having some work done at a truckstop close by. So, it will be leaving in the morning. DOH! LOL... just what I wanted to hear, another days wait. It was going to be here on Thursday, but I'm guessing Friday now. As long as it comes when I'm not working that will be good. I'm off TH & FR so I have my fingers crossed it will be here.

I've also received the 2 shop manuals for the truck, that I bought online. 1 is a 1982 toyota truck factory service manual (even made by the toyota motor corp, and printed in Japan) and it's in mint condition. It has some nice fold out wire diagrams too. The second is a "shop manual" that covers 1975 - 1983 2 & 4 WD trucks. NICE! :thumbsup: I probably soent about 30 or so for the pair, off ebay. Pretty good deal, thinks I. I ws gonna snag another one, from a different maker, but forgot about it, & when I remembered, it had already ended. But, the 2 I have are more than enough.

DeadlyPeace

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 593
  • Member since Nov '07
  • HEAVILY medicated for your protection!
    • View Profile
    • ToyotaOffRoad
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
:welcome: 2 :turtle3: land From Nor Cal :wave:

Love them 1st gens.
I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Never let people think you’re a horrible person and always keep the heart of a young child…
       ...I prefer mine in a jar on my desk.

3 CAT scans a MRI and some time with the shrink and it's comfirmed. I'm just not right in the head.

Global Moderator for www.ToyotaOffRoad.com

TxFireman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
I got the truck today (thursday). I have to say my first impression of it was very good. It looked better in person than it does in the pics. Every little feature on it works perfectly. It looks like the begining to a wonderful relationship. :thumbsup: