Author Topic: which tacoma housing under a 97 4Runner?  (Read 2116 times)

cougarfreak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Cruise Moab '06 Kane Creek
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
which tacoma housing under a 97 4Runner?
« on: Aug 07, 2006, 10:44:41 PM »
I have ultimately decided to go with FROR's full floater kit, but my stock rear housing bent. I bought a used 95 non TRD non ABS "tacoma" housing  :hammer: :clap2: from the Yota Yard in CO. When it showed up, I immediately noticed the larger studs, and very different shaped housing. I pulled off a nut from my stock housing to see if the stud was larger, and it is. Do I need to stick with 3rd gen 4runner housing? I was hoping to go with a Tacoma housing so that I wouldn't have to mess with the spring perches, but it is winding up to be more of a PITA than just torching everything off to accept the leaf springs, shock tabs, and bump pads I have to re-install. In short, I tried to save some fabbing time by purchasing a tacoma (leaf ready) housing to go under my leaf perch needing 97 4Runner without the correct information on which Tacoma housing (if any) would work.

Which Tacoma housings should I be requesting (if any)? I have a Detroit locker, and am ditching the ABS stuff, as the Dana 44 front has no wheel speed sensors, or toner rings on the axles rendering the ABS system useless. Any suggestions on where to buy a housing? TAP doesn't have any, and said every one they do get in are all bent. :help:
I don't care if you laugh with me or at me, just laugh!!!

'97 4Runner, SAS'ed, cstm cougarfreak exo n traction bar,  YJ rears military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63's rear, King res. shocks & air bumps, Detroit locked D60 35sp chromo rear, '81 Waggy front D44 , chromo n superjoints, 35" BFG mud KM, Marlin 2.28 dual, twinned

http://www.cougarfreakphoto.com/index.php?ShowPage=4Runner

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
Re: which tacoma housing under a 97 4Runner?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2006, 08:17:09 AM »
Apparently the housing I bought was an 8.4" out of a 95.5 tacoma :hammer:, and I was told not even the 8" tacoma housing would work with my 4Runner 3rd :reg:. The Tacoma 8" is different than a 4Runner's, and their housings have some reinforcing inside that hinders my 4Runner's 3rd from bolting in all of the way. The guy I purchased it from said that a 92 pickup 8" should work, but is looking into it for me...

'97 4Runner, SAS'ed, cstm cougarfreak exo n traction bar,  YJ rears military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63's rear, King res. shocks & air bumps, Detroit locked D60 35sp chromo rear, '81 Waggy front D44 , chromo n superjoints, 35" BFG mud KM, Marlin 2.28 dual, twinned

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
'89-'95 pickup housings are only 58.5" wide and my 4Runner's is 60" :rivers:, so that won't work either.  Apparently the 3rd's are swappable, however.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2006, 10:39:57 AM by cougarfreak »

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »
Just found out that Tacoma TRD housings won't work either without e-locker... 

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
Re: complete FROR full floater kit for sale
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2006, 02:28:07 PM »
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.  I have learned a bunch, but have decided to go with a different set up all together. :beerchug:

I have a Never been used Front Range Off Road full floater kit ready to grease up and bolt on to a 96+ Tacoma/4Runner.  The kit will also fit on an 89-95 pickup or 4Runner, but the alloy shafts will need to be traded in for a narrower set.  The kit includes 31 splined Chromo axles, the adapter to go from the stock housing to an 84 minitruck spindle/hub setup (also included) with Raybestos '80 Supra calipers with parking brake mechanism, and all of the bearings and seals, and a proportioning valve from Summit with adapters for metric connectors.  The hub flange was re-pinned with 6 @ 5/16" inch pins(stock is 2 @ 1/4" pins, Hendrix Motorsports did the re-pinning).  This is truely a bolt on application, ready to go as soon as you get it.  I have a bent housing and am looking at other options.  I also have a 3rd member for a 96+ 4Runner or 89-95 pickup/4runner with stock Toyota 4.56 gears and a detroit locker.
FROR full float kit:  $1550
V6 Turbo 3rd:        $600

PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: complete FROR full floater kit for sale
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
Thank you to all who contributed to this thread.  I have learned a bunch, but have decided to go with a different set up all together. :beerchug:

:eek:  man  CF  did you pee in somebodies cheerios :aaa:

i cant believe nobody ever posted here :screwy:

i have a 86  drum to drum if you need it, complete with 3rd
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2006, 08:24:43 PM »
I mean REALLY   ???!!!  I think my exoed, family loaded desert running rock crawler weighing in at 5K+ is pushing the limits of an 8" 3rd :help:...  I'm going with a 35 splined nodular 9" with .375 walled tubes :shocking:, if I bend that there's more wrong than just a bent housing!!!  Thanks for the offer though.
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2006, 08:29:14 PM by cougarfreak »

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2006, 01:32:18 PM »
Actually retuned my thoughts to a dana 60 for 1/2 the price of the previously mentioned 9"...  That aughtta doit!!!! :hammerhead: