Author Topic: Toyota FJ Cruiser?  (Read 6034 times)

Destruct O

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '06
  • You call me "Destructive" like it is a bad thing!
    • View Profile
Toyota FJ Cruiser?
« on: Jul 22, 2006, 10:22:24 PM »
I am curious why did Toyota make a live rear axel with a 4 link suspension for the FJ Cruiser but not a live front axel with a 4 link suspension? My Aunt has a 97 Land Cruiser and it was the smoothest riding vehicle I have ever been in and it has live axels with coils on both ends. So why can’t Toyota make a live front axel again using coils?
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2006, 10:36:37 PM by Destruct O »
Destruct O

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota FJ Cruiser?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »
The FJ cruiser is built on a shortened 4runner chassis, so the more things they can transfer straight over, the better and cheaper for them. The 4runner has IFS, so the FJ has IFS. Althought a live front axle would be nice, it would jack the price up on the FJ, and that is not what Toyota really wanted.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2006, 12:02:20 PM »
The FJ cruiser is built on a shortened 4runner chassis, so the more things they can transfer straight over, the better and cheaper for them. The 4runner has IFS, so the FJ has IFS. Althought a live front axle would be nice, it would jack the price up on the FJ, and that is not what Toyota really wanted.

You are right it is cheaper for them, but not for us in the long run. For us average Janes & Joes to do a SAS will cost us a arm and a leg, and in my opinion they should have put on a solid axel with truck parts at the factory.
Now that you pointed out that it is on a shortened 4Runner frame I thought that it was a little strange on how the FJ is not even a 1yr old and there is a decent aftermarket for them already.
Destruct O

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2006, 05:05:48 PM »
Actually the frame is a version of the overseas Landcruiser Prado. As I was told by a University of Toyota instructor. Toyota will probably never bring another solid axle front vehicle into the states because of liability reasons. Being that a vehicle with a solid axle front will have more of a chance of roll over than one with IFS.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2006, 05:44:02 PM »
Not only the liability, but because as Americans we want an exceptionally smooth ride on the road, no one can really accomplish this with live axles. I agree that the FZJ-80's are quite smooth, (I've driven my brothers for some time) they will never be as smooth as an independent vehicle. If you do some research to see what percentage of consumers are really into the offroad market, it's very small and not worth while to bring over a product like that, especially if we're going to pregnant dog about spilling our coffee while avoiding a defenseless squirrel at 70MPH. Toyota makes an exceptional IFS system that can really take some abuse so it's not right to bash on them, I think they're really doing better than almost everyone. (Unless you can afford a Mercedes G-Wagon) The new traction system on the FJ Cruiser is pretty advanced too, no need for lockers really.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2006, 09:33:39 PM »
Actually the frame is a version of the overseas Landcruiser Prado. As I was told by a University of Toyota instructor. Toyota will probably never bring another solid axle front vehicle into the states because of liability reasons. Being that a vehicle with a solid axle front will have more of a chance of roll over than one with IFS.

That is a really good point, I never thought about the roll over or the liability aspect of it.
Due you think Toyota is going to due away with there rear solid axels then?
Destruct O

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2006, 09:39:51 PM »
I don't think so.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2006, 09:40:54 PM »
a vehicle with a solid axle front will have more of a chance of roll over than one with IFS.

i dont see how this could be a valid arguement. with proper tuning, a front live axle can be made to handle better than an ifs rig
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:09:33 PM »
Thats what I was told from someone way higher up on the Chain of Command than I am.

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:18:46 PM »
Couldn't they widen the axles? How about put warning signs on the visors like they do in there newer vehicles, warning us about the higher ground clearance and how easy it is for these vehicles to rollover at high speeds and uneven terrain. I could see Toyota having a liability problem if there is something wrong from the factory and they let it pass, like for example The front differential gears has a flaw in it and it freezes up when the vehicle goes over 75 mph and Toyota does not notify the public about this problem and god for bid if someone dies from this and investigators find out it was a flaw from the factory, then I can see them worrying about liability. WOW! If a instructor from Toyota said about the liability of solid axels, Toyota must really be paranoid about getting sued.
Destruct O

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2006, 10:58:21 PM »
Thats what I was told from someone way higher up on the Chain of Command than I am.

idiots can hold higher positions than you, in fact that happens a lot in the world

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2006, 11:01:39 PM »
idiots can hold higher positions than you, in fact that happens a lot in the world

INDEED!  :clap:
Destruct O

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »

First of all this guy is not an idiot. I tried to give you an explanation. If you don't like it, sorry. Nothing else I say is obviously gonna make a difference to you.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »
i dont see how this could be a valid arguement. with proper tuning, a front live axle can be made to handle better than an ifs rig
TRUE THAT...MY SAS HANDLES WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than it did ifs...and it has 37s!!!!

if you use the right spring and a quality shock there is no reason that you cant have a smooth sa suspension. there is a rason i call it the rock caddy :thumbs:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »
If you do some research to see what percentage of consumers are really into the offroad market, it's very small and not worth while to bring over a product like that

You've got valid and good points that I agree with, but after all, isn't the offroad market what the FJ-Cruiser is being marketed for?

Do 2006 or 2007 Wranglers still have D44 fronts? If Toyota wants to take a serious bite outta the American market then atleast offering an optional live axle would be a great place to start.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »
Hey, I've seen so many FJs running around town and on the freeway

Whenever I see one, I always point at it and say "look! check it out! That's the new FJ!" I bet you guys do that too :yupyup: Toyota pride :cool:

greenfox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
Toyota said that a solid axle is better for rock crawling but what about the rest of the time. They made a good point but I would like to see a solid axle in the front.
67fj45lpd
73fj40
74fj40soa
97fzj80

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:05:38 PM »
Quote from: BigMike
Do 2006 or 2007 Wranglers still have D44 fronts? If Toyota wants to take a serious bite outta the American market then atleast offering an optional live axle would be a great place to start.

Well put Big mike! That would be a very smart move for Toyota it would be the best of both worlds. For all you guys and gals that like to go fast offroad you can choose the IFS package, for you guys and gals into extreme rockcrawling and mud bogs you can chose the live front Axel package. I would love to own a Toyota with a solid Axel all of the ones that came from the factory with solid fronts are really really hard to find one in one piece and a solid frame. Even the big boys the Dodge Power Wagon and the big Fords F-250 etc sport solid axles. I think the American truck and SUV market will be in serious trouble if Toyota ever offered up a solid Axel package.

Quote from: BigMike
Whenever I see one, I always point at it and say "look! check it out! That's the new FJ!" I bet you guys do that too :yupyup: Toyota pride :cool:

I do the same thing to when I see the FJ, Plus I can not help myself and I have to give the driver a big thumbs up :thumbs: they smile and honk there horn.
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2006, 07:56:57 AM by BigMike »
Destruct O

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »
is it jsut me, or is the fj starting to look like a h2?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Destruct O [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2006, 10:41:45 PM »
Toyota said that a solid axle is better for rock crawling but what about the rest of the time. They made a good point but I would like to see a solid axle in the front.

They do make a good point but check this out.
My friend just got a 06 Wrangler Rubicon and he took me for a ride in it the other day and this Jeep had the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in a Jeep Wrangler, even with the wranglers small wheel base and solid axles F/R it still has a really smooth ride. So why can't Toyota do this?
Destruct O

greenfox

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 66
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2006, 12:39:29 PM »
If you want a real landcruiser with a solid axle you have to go over seas and bye a 75 series. There is more to the storey than I can tell you has something to do with politics. I can live with the IFS on the FJ cruiser I have seen first hand what it can do. I wish it wasn't so dam ugly and looked more like an FJ40.
67fj45lpd
73fj40
74fj40soa
97fzj80

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 02, 2006, 01:19:24 PM »
and looked more like an FJ40.

ditto

ranger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 17
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 07, 2006, 08:09:26 PM »
IMO the front was engineered for cost and the ride. Have to look who the target audience is and what it will be used for.....rock crawling isn't one of them. :thumbdown:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 07, 2006, 08:12:13 PM »
IMO the front was engineered for cost and the ride. Have to look who the target audience is and what it will be used for.....rock crawling isn't one of them. :thumbdown:
I have been surprised lately to see the somewhat hardcore following of these vehicles. Hopefully, Toyota US will take notice. Lets keep our fingers crossed!  :crossed:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco