Author Topic: The official "I'm a packrat" thread  (Read 7003 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
The official "I'm a packrat" thread
« on: Jul 19, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »
Ok, today I picked up some parts bikes for my old dirtbike, and in the process of trying to fit them into my storage unit I found myself staring the obvious in the face:  I'm a packrat! 

A lot of stuff isn't terribly old, but some stuff has been in the "awaiting a project" stage for a long time.  Some stuff I just can't stand to get rid of, or know I'll eventually use, but sometimes you run across those items that leave you scratching your head wondering WTF you were thinking.

This is looking in both ends of my storage unit.  I have no idea why I said yes when a friend offered me the metal shelves, those things take up so much space in there!

The last few pics are the suspect bikes I got.  I don't know anything about the engine in the crate, but the one in the crispy critter burned bike turns over and has good compression, but all the wiring is toast.  Ebay and I are gonna get even closer for a while!  I'd love to have all the needed parts to have a resto done over the winter, after I lift and regear the truck, replace the engine and tranny, do the bodywork and paint and beef up the brakes!  My track bike takes priority over other projects, but that shouldn't take a whole lot to be done.

Yea, I need another project!  I know if my dad sees this thread he's gonna cringe, but it'll be no surprise to him I'm sure.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2006, 05:44:52 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: The official "I'm a packrat" thread
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2006, 05:55:04 PM »
Last one I think, crispy critter bike.  The only way I could resize it came out with it being really small, so I dunno how much detail will show up, but you can see all the torched wiring and blackened bike.  Probably the toughest thing to snag onto would be all the wiring, but considering these are from the late 70s, finding all the other goodies in decent shape will be tough at best.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2006, 06:41:12 PM »
Dang man I thought I was bad, actually I am that bad, but you gotta say what the hell do I need with all this crap anyway and start throwing some of it away.

Then you will be going where the hell is that gismo thing a ma bob.

BTW what does it cost you to keep all that stuff in there for a year and how many years have you been paying to keep it?

See where I am going here? Remmember the buggy and the blue Z? I don't miss them.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »
Good point!  BUUUUUUT.....some stuff isn't get-riddable.  My barely used aluminium craftsman floor jack, don't wanna drag it around in the gravel outside, so in the box in storage it stays.  On top of that I have 4 trucks I pay storage on (you don't wanna know how much that costs!), 3 streetbikes and 2 dd trucks at home!  Oh yea, and one of those little aluminum sheds full of junk too.  That storage unit is 10x20 and costs $80 a month, don't care to break it down by the year!  I moved up from the 10x15 about a year ago, which I probably had for almost 3 years, but it measured closer to 10ish by 13.5, whereas this one is actually a hair bigger than it says.  It's also about a 20 minute drive from my house and closes at 6, so if I don't get up early I aint gettin nuffin till tomorrow!

I have the room to build about a 13x18 or so outside, but I rent, so it's totally up in the air.  I passed the idea by my landlord, but the subject quickly changed and never got brought up again.  Till I can get that done, it's just a cost I hafta bear.  If I didn't hafta pay any storage I could double up on 2 credit card/loan payments!  Oh well, such is life I guess :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »
Stressed-frame design, dual shocks, red, coil mounts under tank and with a cushioned rear hub...  :drooling: late 70s/early 80s XR/XL 75 or 80, right?  Iknow those bikes VERY well.  I wish I never sold mine :rivers:

I'll try to get a pic of my storage tomorrow.  10x10, packed full.  I just gave away a lawnmower today to gain some room.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2006, 10:25:38 PM by Duffil »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »
Good guesses!  The 2 um....more complete are 77 xr75s, though the cushioned hubs and speedo tab makes me think one was an xl.  The odd thing is both the front and rear wheels have cush drive, which is something I've never seen, the front being cushioned I mean.  The other is an 81 xr80 frame, but there's not much there I'll end up using probably.  The torched bike has bent forks, so the 81 will probably be the doner.  I have a pretty nice 78 xr75 already, had it since the mid 80 and it was my first bike.  I've thought about selling it a couple of times, but luckily never got weak enough.  I'll hafta go snag it once I start the rebuild on one of these for a good referrence. 

I'm thinking longer travel forks, longer shocks and extend the swingarm.  Atleast I have 3 to work with, so if I mess one up no biggie!  About 14 or more years ago I tried to commission a guy to build me an aluminum frame for these, but he said it would just be far too expensive and difficult, but if I had a good tig I'd build a jig and see what I could do.  My aspirations have always been way more grand than my skills. 

As for the engine, I want more power, but I wanna keep it dependable.  It seems like I remember you can run an xr100 carb, which is maybe 2mm bigger or so, and bolts right up.  I think 105cc is the limit, but 85-90 should still be safe.  Extra head and jug means one to play with porting, and potentially mess up.  I have an extra head pipe from my original one, broke off right in front of the muffler many moons ago, sounded pretty cool too!  I'm thinking of fabbing up my own with a nicer muffler and a slightly bigger header, but that could be a pretty big pipe dream (get it?!).  I'm not sure how much power the bottom end can take, so I don't wanna go crazy, just make a fun pit or trail bike.  Something to practice wheelies with too, depending on how ratty it comes out.  I just hope I can find a tank that's in good shape, don't wanna be doing too much work on one.

That's enough blabbering from me.  If anybody has a neighbor or family member with one of these, or something similar, they wanna get rid of, lemme know.  You can never have too many parts!
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »
Oh yea, if I could find atleast a late 80s or newer 80cc 2 stroke chassis with no engine, I'd gladly build up one of these engines for that!  I've wanted to build one of those since the late 80s when I saw my first one, but have never had enough parts to do it at the same time.  I had a 92 kx80 chassis at once (strangely enough I bought it 4th hand, but it had been one I raced against at one time), but got rid of it after letting sitting around for a while and making no progress.  I'd much rather have had a big wheel chassis anyway, but otherwise would prefer a cr80 chassis, might as well keep it all honda!  Idealy I'd snag a cr85 expert sans engine for the project, but that would be spendy.
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2006, 11:20:37 PM »
I just gave away a 1968/69 honda cl175 scrambler because it was taking up room that was needed!  It was all tore down but it was all there!  Hated to see it go but!   :dunno:  It still had the rubber scuff guards on the tank too!  It was one of those if you don't take it, it goes to the dump kinda things!  But it's going to a guy thats actually going to restore it! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2006, 11:22:13 PM »
I was once that bad but went through a nasty divorce and i ended up consalidated a bunch of stuff and now i have no room for anything :smack:
I need a running 22r

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
I'll try to get a pic of my storage tomorrow.  10x10, packed full.  I just gave away a lawnmower today to gain some room.

Yeah, me too.  I'll have to get a picture of it :headshake:  I've got so much crap in there, sometimes I don't even wanna think about it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
I like thinkin about it!  When I had the smaller unit there was a lot of junk in there.  I had to move, and realized I needed more space, so I got the bigger one, and I was lucky enough to get one with a door on each end.  My goal was to be able to walk from one end to the other, which actually lasted quite a while, but some recent aquisitions have closed off the walkway.  I don't see myself running my 32s, so I probably should head over to the parts section and sell em.  That would free up a little space.  I'm sure the same could be said about a lotta that stuff too, but I'm not sure what else I wanna get rid of just yet.
RIP KYOTA

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »
Wow. I thought I was bad with "some" truck parts still floating around, a set of studded tires, a set of Enkei 17" OEM wheels, dirtbike stand for a bike I don't even OWN anymore, the stock exhaust off my car, soon the stock tranny, a buncha crap.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »
Finally got around to it.
 :sleepy:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:26:55 PM »
1. My room (yes, it is the garage) yes, I know its a mess, Its been too hot in there to clean, and I've been trying to get ready to go camping
you can't see behind the desk, but all the guts for my half doors are there, including all the hardware for the wing windows, all four peices of glass, and the weather stripping

2. side yard of my parent's house (hidden stuff)

3. long shot of the side yard

4. other side yard, underneath what you can see is my rollers, some spare 3.0 parts, etc.

I also have a storage shed, which I'll get a pic of eventually, as well as the top of the cab of a four runner (kept it for the sunroof insert) and old 3.0, and another box or two of misc. parts in Spotter's barn :yupyup:
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2006, 11:39:46 PM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jedrattle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 333
  • Member since Apr '06
  • RockBrawlers SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
  Yea...I'm one too!!! :outtahere:   I have more projects (all cars/trucks) then one person, who works 50-60 hours a week, should even think about! :screwy: At least 6 car projects right now! Guess what? Most are hitting the road after the 4runner is running. I realized, I will never have enough $$$ or time to complete them or really enjoy them  :-\   So most are leaving. It sucks but I want to work a little less and play a lot more :clap:   
`87 runner....it was stock....now sas'd, 37's, duals, geared/ locked, 10in bob, half doors, rock lights. etc., etc.,.........coming soon a 3.4 swap!!!

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39332.0

www.rockbrawlers.com

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2006, 04:18:16 PM »
YES!!!!! This thread is AWESOME!! I'll have to take some pics of my room hahahahahah

We just moved, but you should have seen Marlin's garage at the old house! It took us three weekends to clean it all out!!

Of course if you've been to the shop, then you know what kind of packrat Marlin used to be :yupyup:

Check out this really old picture of our shop!!

:thud:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »
I guess we'll have to get pics of our crap! And we have whittled down over the years! I think the stuff multiples in the night!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »
Are you sure it is not multiplying?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2006, 10:56:17 PM »
im definantly a packrat, i can barely get around my garage, ive got my supra in ther also, and 2 trucks in the side yard with spare parts scattered everywhere

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2006, 05:53:03 AM »
Are you sure it is not multiplying?
~W to forehead~ What.....Ever! :shake:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2006, 09:17:08 AM »
A little update.  Yea, it gets worse!  First is looking out my front door, looking right then left.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2006, 09:23:32 AM »
It aint over yet...
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »
That's kinda funny, from some of the pics it looks like I live in the sticks.  Well, I guess I kinda do :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:49:55 PM »
Back from the dead!  Spent quite a bit of time cleaning it all up today, the back half of the unit anyway.  I had so much crap built up in front of the storage rack I had wrecklesslesly put over my spare front axle, and I wanted to get it out.  Now I can alteast get to everything pretty easily.  I ended up finding some parts I didn't even know I had, including 3 starters and 2 more ac compressors.
RIP KYOTA

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2006, 11:51:18 PM »
Haaaa My garage is so full right now I had to take my Toyota's to a buddies shop to store them.  Once it got to one truck torn apart in the garage along with all my other crap.  One torn apart on the side of the garage. and parts for my trailer and dodge at the back of the garage.  My wife finally got mad and said clean it up.  Now both Toyota's are at my buddies shop waiting till Nov - Dec. so we can build one good truck.  Then I have to go through the garage and clean it up.  Two car garage with a full bathroom built in.  I cant even get to the bathroom or park a car in the garage.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2006, 12:06:29 AM »
That's kinda similar to where I was.  I got a bigger double ended unit so I could park at either end and walk through.  That actually lasted quite a while, but in the last several months it's been getting worse, to the point where you could barely see through it.  I'm just glad to have it to this point, especially since I may hafta move and would probably hafta move some stuff here for a while.  I'd love to get planted in a house with a nice shop so I can stop paying to store so much crap! 
RIP KYOTA

crashtestdummie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since Sep '06
  • just cuz we's dummies don't mean we don't feel. y'll see.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 11, 2006, 12:10:59 AM »
don't get me started . I'll have to take some pics and post tommorow
get in, sit down, buckle up, hang-on, and watch your head

FFC will always have alittle part of me with her. I never did find that tooth I broke. :rotfl:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 11, 2006, 03:32:37 AM »
basicly i have parts stashed  at my house.. i ran out of room.. so i have a ton of stuff stashed at my grandparents house.. and i ran out of room there so now i have parts stashed at work ..  and starting to run out of room !   lots of toyota parts.. axles.. i own probably 10-12 axles ranging from 8.8's to dana 70's and 14bolts   i own  4 vehicles  and am in the process of building a buggy !
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11, 2006, 06:08:13 AM »
I love this thread!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »
I'm headin off to pick n pull in a little while, so the pile may grow!  Luckily it's only 1/3 mile away from my unit, so multiple runs are possible :yesnod:

:psss:  yes, I know I'm sick!
RIP KYOTA