Author Topic: ring and pinion  (Read 2485 times)

booger1

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -63
  • Male Posts: 102
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ring and pinion
« on: Jul 16, 2006, 07:40:37 PM »
I just finished my  :turtle: sas and one problem.  I got bout 100 feet and the front axle started making grinding noises.  I added some more gear oil to it thinking it might be low, but it still did it.  I noticed the axle has quite a bit of slack in it.  is it the ring and pinion or what?  I can get another 3rd member here locally, but I don't know if that is what is wrong with it. what would cause it to have slack like that in it and grinding?
93 pickup,  sas'd, 36in tsl's, tundra front clip, taco bed, kenwood, apexi intake,  7mgte.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: ring and pinion
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
I noticed the axle has quite a bit of slack in it.  
what do you mean slack in the axle? driveshaft? can u clarify?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

booger1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
when I turn the front driveshaft back and forth the axle has a lot of slack in it, before it turns the wheels and it grinds.  there is so much slack in it, when I am driving, the truck starts to buck back and forth, until I hold the clutch in. :( :(
93 pickup,  sas'd, 36in tsl's, tundra front clip, taco bed, kenwood, apexi intake,  7mgte.

sandboxtoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2006, 11:41:34 PM »
PROBALY RING/PINION, I ASSUME EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH THE HUBS UNLOCKED?
IT WOULD BE BETTER TO PULL APART THE FRONT END AND INSPECT THE HUBS/AXLES/BIRFS/SPIDER GEARS/RING&PINION

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2006, 04:40:11 AM »
when I turn the front driveshaft back and forth the axle has a lot of slack in it, before it turns the wheels and it grinds.  there is so much slack in it, when I am driving, the truck starts to buck back and forth, until I hold the clutch in. :( :(

Are you sure you have the same gear ratio in the fron and rear?

If there is slack between the drive shaft and the tires starting to move , more than say 1/2" or so the backlash could be off or the spider gears could be worn out.

A grinding noise isn't good.

Sounds like it is time to take it apart and start looking for the problem.

Start with the easy stuff and work your way in. Brakes axles then 3rd.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:41:58 PM »
does it have a locker?  detriots are known to cause a lot of slack in the drivelines.  mine had 1/2-3/4's of a turn of slack in it.

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2006, 05:52:21 AM »
I'm gonna have to agree with Mr.Willy. It sounds like you might have two different gear ratios.

What year did your front axle come out of ? If it is from a '79 or '80 it will have 4.38's or if it came out of an '81 it could have 3.90's and your '93 came with 4.10's. Or someone could have swapped gear ratio's. I would be sure before I ran it much. There will be a little slack before it starts turning the tires due to backlash in all of the components. By the time you add backlash from the ring gear , spider gears , side gear splines , and hub splines it will have a little play before it turns the tires. But you shouldn't have any grinding sounds. If your doing a SAS why not just tear it down and go through the whole front end. Marlin sells a knuckle rebuild for about $75 , a wise investment. Your front axle will love you long time.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

booger1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2006, 11:03:44 PM »
85 axle, rear driveshaft not on yet.  can I remove the 3rd member first, or do I have to remove the axles.  right now I am broke, so I don't have the money for a knuckle rebuild kit yet.  I still have to lift the rear of the truck, so any money I have will go to some mazda springs or blocks. I have access to a rear 3rd member from the truck i got the front axle from, so I will probably use that.