Author Topic: "Easyline" Runner build  (Read 20886 times)

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Re: "Easyline" Runner build
« Reply #60 on: Sep 15, 2006, 08:59:28 PM »
 :shakehead:

Well, after MCR5 I need to rethink my set up. The ALCANS inverted the rear shackles on me 3 times and it feels to unstable in off camber situations. I think I will be going full widths which is a heart brealer since I just got the axles built bullet proof. But I can't see my self running spacers..  :headscratch:

Anyone want to give me some pro's and cons on spacers compared to full widths I would appreciate it.

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sep 16, 2006, 12:30:45 AM »
I found something in my pocket for you, OH!  here it is

That is one bent  :moon: finger!
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sep 16, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »
 :shake:

Sure, Pro's to running spacers include they only cost around $200 as apposed to the axles which are going to be around $200 just for a shirtty D44, rear D60 will be around $300.. then you've got to factor in gears, lockers, drivelines.. HMMM.. steering?   shall I continue?

Why the hell would you go to a WEAKER axle and spend a good $2-3k DOWN GRADING when it could be just as simple as swapping on some spacers?

sounds like a pretty black and white decision to me...

BTW why your at it swap those alCANTS off and get some 63" chevys for the rear and some rear's up front or 44044's setup CORRECTLY!

If you go fullwidths then I better see a Dana 60 on the front or just can that idea....  :slap:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Sep 18, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
Who said anything about a d44? If I do go full width it will be 60's or 14b rear/60 front. My buddy in Redding said he could probably  get me matching 60's for $700 or less. If he comes through then thats the route I'm going. If not, spacers it is.

63's and 44044's are deffinatly going on this winter! I am too tired for trying to make those alcans work... :shakehead:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sep 19, 2006, 03:35:47 PM »
you dont need to go full widths to get that thing stable just drop about 6 inches out of the lift to start with and then spacers and or offset wheels

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sep 19, 2006, 04:45:36 PM »
Going full width is a waste of money.  Alcans are crap.  Set the thing up correctly and you'll love the toy drivetrain.  Most people run spacers without any problems at all.  I run 1.5" on the front of mine without any problems.  If you want a simple solution, call Marlin and get their USA built springs.  I used to have rears on the front with 63 chevys on the back and hated them.  I have since switched to Marlin's and love them.  Just spend a little extra money and you won't have to do it again.

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:09:53 PM »
you dont need to go full widths to get that thing stable just drop about 6 inches out of the lift to start with and then spacers and or offset wheels

True...I already have these axles and it would be way cheaper to put a spacer on them and see how stable it becomes once the aclans hit the junk pile. One thing at a time and right. People tend to save money that way too

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:21:01 PM »
Going full width is a waste of money.  Alcans are crap.  Set the thing up correctly and you'll love the toy drivetrain.  Most people run spacers without any problems at all.  I run 1.5" on the front of mine without any problems.  If you want a simple solution, call Marlin and get their USA built springs.  I used to have rears on the front with 63 chevys on the back and hated them.  I have since switched to Marlin's and love them.  Just spend a little extra money and you won't have to do it again.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say Alcans are crap. Once of my buddys has the same leafs on his rig and they work great. Of coarse we have different rigs and bla bla bla. But I will say that I didn't expect to be doing this type of wheeling and didn't have a clue as to how I needed it to function when I ordered them. I have also heard some great reviews on marlins leafs but I can't afford the trial right now. This is my third tune on this rig... went from 85 pick up with ok suspension to a 87 sas with better but still not great suspension to whatever I can come up with next. I have see some amazing flex from the 63 and 44044 combo and it still allows decent street driving. Still undecided, but starting to lean way from selling off toy axles.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sep 20, 2006, 08:37:07 PM »
dont go with the 44044s I think there a little stiff and they cost too much for what you get.  Go with the rears up front or cough cough trail gear  springs cough
and you'll be good.  The chevys in the rear are good if you just want some flex and ok ride but beyond that when you want to do it really right they suck.  I hate mine dragging all over the place and getting caught on :pokinit: so I dont know what to recommend for you on the rear

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
My t/gear 5 in. fronts work great, lots of flex and good ride. But when they break in and really flatten out and lose lift. Go with the 63's for the rear theyre cheap and flex/ride good, but like RAMROD said you drag them all the time.   :twocents:
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:26:58 AM »
dont go with the 44044s I think there a little stiff and they cost too much for what you get.  Go with the rears up front or cough cough trail gear  springs cough
and you'll be good.  The chevys in the rear are good if you just want some flex and ok ride but beyond that when you want to do it really right they suck.  I hate mine dragging all over the place and getting caught on :pokinit: so I dont know what to recommend for you on the rear

Well, I do have some 4 rear leafs left over from my old pick up, but I gave the rig to a buddy who hasn't done much to it. I may be able to get them back cheap or free. You run rears up front right... I know your front flexes really well, but how is the highway ride?

Well, if not 63's then what? I have yet to see anything really out perform them unless there is linking involed and I don't see myself doing that yet..  :headscratch:

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sep 21, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
My t/gear 5 in. fronts work great, lots of flex and good ride. But when they break in and really flatten out and lose lift. Go with the 63's for the rear theyre cheap and flex/ride good, but like RAMROD said you drag them all the time.   :twocents:

Thats what I was thinking, bang for the buck right. Perhaps there are some decent mods that can help prevent the dragging. I know Geno has rollers on his rear shackles... I'm not sure if thats what I want, but it seems like a helpfull idea  :dunno:

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Sep 21, 2006, 10:15:15 AM »
Yea that would be nice and it would help to french in the front hangers or make a nice ramp on the 63's.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sep 21, 2006, 11:33:57 AM »
Just my experience.  Chevy springs do well on the ramp, but aren't worth a crap on the trail.  Sure they flex, but aren't stable on unlevel ground.  I know that from the Hammers.  Save your money, and buy USA Springs from Marlin when they get more in.  Sure you can save money and buy from Trail Mart, but ask them where they are made.  They won't tell you because they are the same as the import springs Marlin has.  They are made in China and after one good run, they will not keep their shape.  I've seen it.

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:48:07 PM »
my fronts are rears and they drive pretty good on the street even though I have procomp 3000 shocks and yes they flex great ive put about 20000 miles on them and like it.  Also if you think they are too soft or stiff add or remove leaves till you get it perfect.  im running six and a short flat one and its about perfect.  I think in the rear if I was gonna build another street truck I would run some marlin/trailgear springs because they seem to work good and ride good also

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »
Just my experience.  Chevy springs do well on the ramp, but aren't worth a crap on the trail.  Sure they flex, but aren't stable on unlevel ground.  I know that from the Hammers.  Save your money, and buy USA Springs from Marlin when they get more in.  Sure you can save money and buy from Trail Mart, but ask them where they are made.  They won't tell you because they are the same as the import springs Marlin has.  They are made in China and after one good run, they will not keep their shape.  I've seen it.

About how many deg. off camber are we talking about before these things (63's) get hairy? Yeah, man I heard the same things about those imports, good looking out. If I do go with Marlins leafs in the rear they will be the USA's.  :usa:

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:08:10 PM »
my fronts are rears and they drive pretty good on the street even though I have procomp 3000 shocks and yes they flex great ive put about 20000 miles on them and like it.  Also if you think they are too soft or stiff add or remove leaves till you get it perfect.  im running six and a short flat one and its about perfect.  I think in the rear if I was gonna build another street truck I would run some marlin/trailgear springs because they seem to work good and ride good also

Ok, you pretty much have me sold on putting the rears up front. Couple questions for you on them though. How many stock packs did you pull your leaf combo's from? And with your current leaf arch what size lift(4inch or 5inch) would you recommend I get if I buy Marlin/TrailGear USA's for the rear?

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:09:29 PM »
the chevys or any springs will probably do better off camber than what you have right now because you'll be lower and not soo stiff

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:10:38 PM »
I used two stock packs up front and I dont know what size I would get in the back probably a 4" but I guess the 5" are softer so maybe them

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sep 21, 2006, 03:28:05 PM »
Yea i would def. go with the 5's if you do, cause mine settled alot.

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Sep 21, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »
I have heard many people say that 5" springs settle more than 4" and end the end, they all give about the same ground clearance.  I have seen 5" before and they seem nice and flexy, but I think my 4" USA's are more stable.  It's all what you want.  Here are a couple of pics of mine with 4" USA Marlins.  I beat the heck out of mine and they hold their original shape.  I run 36" IROKS, which almost measure 37", with no clearance problems at all.

toynorcal [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Sep 21, 2006, 05:15:40 PM »
Ok, sounds like 5's would work better than 4's for what I want. Another draw back is I would have to run them reversed to maintain my wheel base or shorten my drive shaft.

From a long talk with Shamb the other night, I like the sounds of possibly running a 63 with a tight shackle angle, it may require bump stops. this would make the majority of the articualtion in the rear down travel and would also keep the rig closer to the ground making it more stable. The only draw back I can see is that I would probably have to bob the rig before I could make it through the sharper approach angles. I think this weekend or next week some time I will be heading down to a buddys shop to check out his 63 rear set up.

Well, thanks again for the help.  :beerchug:

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:31:24 PM »
the "correct" chevy 63's will do great and be verry stable in off camber situations. also the ride verry well on the road. i use 88' 3/4 ton 4wd springs w/ the over load there(as my bump stop). i use a double shackle when i carry a load,(less shackle angle) and a single shackle when i carry only my gear(more angle). i run rears in front with 2 "stiff ass" leafs from a 4" front "kit" added in.

mike

yotee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Male Posts: 247
  • Member since Jun '05
  • fatboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:37:47 PM »
don't get talked out of springs before you get all of the facts/opinions. the chebby/rearsinfront do good enough to semi keep up with a buddy in a bad ass buggie and leave others behind. to these that say that chevy's don't do more than a "ramp queen" let's wheel. just like was said in this thread about the 44044's, the chevy's need to be set up correctly.

mike

Ramrod

• Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Oct 02, 2006, 07:41:15 PM »
don't get talked out of springs before you get all of the facts/opinions. the chebby/rearsinfront do good enough to semi keep up with a buddy in a bad ass buggie and leave others behind. to these that say that chevy's don't do more than a "ramp queen" let's wheel. just like was said in this thread about the 44044's, the chevy's need to be set up correctly.

mike

alrights lets wheel!! mine are set up about as good as they can get and still suck