Author Topic: Help with clutch install  (Read 2883 times)

Fatty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Help with clutch install
« on: Jul 10, 2006, 11:38:45 AM »
I looked around the site for an article on how to replace your clutch but found no luck.  Does anyone have a link or some pictures and some instructions on how to replace your clutch?  I'm a noob when it comes to transmissions so any help would be appreciated  :turtle3:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Help with clutch install
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2006, 11:41:37 AM »
its pretty easy... you just pull the tranny... everything else is right there....

do you even ahve a basic chiltons or haynes manual? if not, its best to go to any local autoparts store and pick one up
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Fatty [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2006, 11:46:08 AM »
its pretty easy... you just pull the tranny... everything else is right there....

do you even ahve a basic chiltons or haynes manual? if not, its best to go to any local autoparts store and pick one up

No I don't.  I've been meaning to go get one but just haven't done so.  Guess I have a good reason to now

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2006, 12:00:26 PM »
there really isnt too much to the clutch, you bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel, and the disk floats inside the rpessure plate.... there is a tool you use to make sure it lines up....

best to replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and the flywheel or have it resurfaced at that time.... can you get away without doing those, maybe, but your chancing doing it again if they fail later on....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2006, 02:01:48 PM »
I just did mine...thread is here, look around will give you an idea of what to do:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.360
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2006, 05:59:39 PM »
there really isnt too much to the clutch, you bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel, and the disk floats inside the rpessure plate.... there is a tool you use to make sure it lines up....

best to replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and the flywheel or have it resurfaced at that time.... can you get away without doing those, maybe, but your chancing doing it again if they fail later on....

Get the haynes or chiltons, you'll thank yourself later.  For small jobs, they are invaluable, especially for the price.  Like cap'n said, replace the pilot bearing, and the throwout bearing, and resurface the flywheel.  You will definitely thank yourself later, because if you don't, two weeks from putting it back together, you'll be tearing it apart to fix the squealing and grinding sounds.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2006, 06:14:33 PM »
I think you should get the Chilton AND Haynes.  I have them both and there's stuff in the Chilton book that's not in the Haynes and vice versa.  For example my Chilton book has complete wiring and vacuum diagrams including fault code listings and troubleshooting for the ECU, the Haynes doesn't.  But the Haynes has some simple tests (with an Ohm meter) for the distributor and other components that the Chilton book lacks.  I'd like to find even more manuals if I could, you can never have too much information about your vehicle!
Welders Hold the World Together!

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
I think you should get the Chilton AND Haynes.  I have them both and there's stuff in the Chilton book that's not in the Haynes and vice versa.  For example my Chilton book has complete wiring and vacuum diagrams including fault code listings and troubleshooting for the ECU, the Haynes doesn't.  But the Haynes has some simple tests (with an Ohm meter) for the distributor and other components that the Chilton book lacks.  I'd like to find even more manuals if I could, you can never have too much information about your vehicle!

or a Toyota FSM they are hella $$$$$ though, but they are awesome!!!!

~ John F. Kennedy ~

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:40:41 PM »

or a Toyota FSM they are hella $$$$$ though, but they are awesome!!!!

X2 I have one from when my first 82 was off the show room floor. My dad bought it when he bought the truck. When I bought it from him I got it too. It is duct taped and tie wired together but I would not give it up for a Hanyes or a Chiltons.

Kevin

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2006, 03:33:59 PM »

:werd:  I've got both, and the FSM.  of the chiltons and haynes, I like the haynes better.  To me it seems like it just has more detail to it :thumbs:

The FSM is  great, but it is a lot of $$$.  I got lucky and bought mine off a friend who sold his truck.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2006, 04:49:19 PM »
Cool, where can I get one?  An FSM, I mean.

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2006, 05:52:56 PM »
sometimes ebay, or else the dealer

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2006, 05:59:49 PM »
its 100 from the dealer..... for msot but the really intense stuff, the haynes is just fine.....

the fsm is awesome but its $$$$$$$ its actually got pictures of how to rebuild an auto tranny and things of that sort, also has diagrams of parts, that are copyrighted pictures of toyota, so haynes or anyone else cant use them, they match very closely to the parts department pictures....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:09:38 AM »
I looked everwhere online for diagrams like they have at the dealer.  The fact that they're copyrighted by Toyota explains why I couldn't find 'em.  I love the diagrams they can pull up on the computer because not only are they pretty detailed, but they have all the part numbers listed.  I thought it would be nice to arrive at the dealer already knowing what part numbers you needed.  Sometimes the guys behind the counter don't have a clue what you're talking about.