Author Topic: wanting to cut cat off  (Read 1932 times)

yodaboy4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
wanting to cut cat off
« on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:10:19 AM »
hey guys i just bought a new truck a 90 toyota excab 3.0 4wd and i was wondering if it would be a bad idea to cuz the cat off and thow another muffler and have the rest straight piped would it lose gain any power or mess any thing up in the long run does any one know this i want it to be loud!! but i want it to be a safe way for the trucks sake :driving:
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: wanting to cut cat off
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:22:04 AM »
if you dont care about the air pollution, cut it off, it wont hurt the truck much

run straight pipes with some huge tubing, but keep the tubing short, that will make it louder
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yodaboy4life [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:25:34 AM »
i dont have to worry bout that smog or any stuff like that here and i dont care bout the air pollution ppl who do dont get mad at me but having no cat will not hurt it and will be louder right ?? will it rob any power?
give me some duct tape some zip ties a welder and a tourch and ill do some tinkerin

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2006, 06:20:38 AM »
It will be very loud... keep your cat its a good spark arrester.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2006, 12:55:06 PM »
Don't cut the cat off. I have never seen this done on the 3.0, but it would more likely lose power... You motor needs that back pressure. If you must cut it off, you'll want to use a flowmaster or something rather than just straight pipe.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2006, 02:15:08 PM »
I'm running a header straight back to my 40 series Flowmaster with 2.5" tubing on my 22re.  I gained A LOT of power but I think if i did it agian I'd do a 2.25" pipe.  I ran 2" and it wasn't enough differance but once I went to a 2.5 I gained a lot of bottom end. There are A lot of guys around where I live that run without cats and don't have a problem at all sound wise.  Just make sure put a good muffler on it.  I wouldn't want to straight pipe it because its WAY to loud.  I ran that way for a while and it just was annoying.  I don't know how it'd affect the power on a 3.0 but I don't see it being a bad thing at all, my guess is that you'd really notice the power differance.

toy85ota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:50:04 PM »
Here's the set up I'm running with my 22re stock header hollow out cat 2 1/4 from the cat back to a magnaflow muffler, no tail pipe. Pretty damn loud, almost obnoxious. I still pass deq with no cat.
When in doubt, throttle out!!!

yodaboy4life [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2006, 11:04:27 PM »
ok well i was not tihnkning in the moment and cut it off and the muffler on there is a cherry bomb 2 chitty one chep and it runs like :pokinit: and i did a poor job on the air holes so it has a lil leak i did not weld it up though so it is being held on by muffler clamps and i cant tell if it has lost power or not it seems like it has gained but at the same time i have lost mpg i went from 16 to 12 soo i think i might just re do it all from were the old cat was and maby find another cat for it and then do a flowmaster muffler or somthing i messed up on what i did and it bit me in the butt but it is alot louder but it kinda sounds like crap soo is there cats u can buy that are good i have not looked ill do it in a while but if you guy6s have any input on what i should do to gain my power and mpg back please let me know i want it to sound good but another thing it seems to rev out alot quicker i normally with it on i was shifting at 2500 but now it is like 3500 or 4500 and going now ware but it sounds like she is going someware but is really not soo i learned the hard way i guess not im just going to start from scratch