Author Topic: What's the Toyota of dirt bikes?  (Read 3812 times)

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
What's the Toyota of dirt bikes?
« on: Jul 02, 2006, 12:21:40 AM »
Hope it's ok to ask about bikes.
Opions from this crowd are highly valued, so consider it a compliment.

I figure a lot of you know about dirt bikes, too.

What are the most common breakdowns on the trail with a dirtbike?
Which bikes are the easiest to fix/most reliable/most bang for your buck?
What is the toyota of dirt bikes?

I'm looking for a 125 - 175.  (water cooled, right?  Air cooling a bad idea?)

Thanks a lot.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: What's the Toyota of dirt bikes?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2006, 08:10:39 AM »
You say 125-175, so I'm gonna guess your looking at 2strokes?  Air cooling is not bad, just not as efficient as water cooling, and if you are looking at 2strokes, they have all been water cooled since about 1982.  175cc bikes haven't been produced by the big four(kawi, suzuki, honda, yamaha) since the late 70s/early 80s, so if you go that route, it will be air cooled.

If you are in the market for a four stroke, unless you get a fairly new bike, it'll be air cooled.

There is no such thing as an "easier to fix" bike; every company has engineered something poorly at one time or another.  Personally, I :love: hondas. 

If you are starting out in the sport, try for an early to mid 90s bike if you've got the coin.  Typically less problems in newer units, and parts are more readily available.

As far as trail breakdowns go, I have never had one, except for a flat tire.  You should keep the thing in good enough condition to avoid this; you don't wanna be 10miles back on a trail and have to push your bike back to the truck.

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
I'd say the Toyota of bikes has gotta be Honda. Hands down the most reliable and well engineered (Jap) bikes period. Then it'd be Yamaha a close second  :twocents:

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2006, 08:34:03 AM »
Honda....... ATVs is my Cookie
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »
buy a yamaha and be happy,  :love: :love: :love:yamaha
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2006, 09:45:30 AM »
Trail bike do it all XR 400 hands down. My favorite bike I ever owned.

Moto I like the YZF 250 but the honda CRFs are really nice too.

I flogged an XR 250 for years with no complains sept the rear shock would break the shaft about every other trip to the MX track. it was a dual sport and I didn't even take the lights off. kind of fun to clear the doubles around some wana be and then signal into the next turn or give a guy a little beep beep when you went inside of him. no match for a real bike on the track though. but great for riding with the kiddies and general trail running.

Wayne

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2006, 09:51:16 PM »
For complete dependability I'd get a 4 stroke but if it's a 2 stroke you want my Honda's never let me down 2 or 4 stroke.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2006, 11:05:14 PM »
I'd say the Toyota of bikes has gotta be Honda. Hands down the most reliable and well engineered (Jap) bikes period. Then it'd be Yamaha a close second  :twocents:

Trail bike do it all XR 400 hands down. My favorite bike I ever owned.

General consensus seems to be honda!  All I gotta say is :thumbs: to honda.  New or old, they engineer them really well, and I can't remember one ever leaving me stranded. 

XRs are very well built, but they're not race bikes!  IF you take it to the track, you're lucky to only break shock parts, and if you jump a lot it's gonna break the frame. 

If you're thinking trail bike, kawasaki kdx175-200 are great bikes, and are a dirt simple air cooled bike.  A similar bike, but harder to snatch up, are the old yamaha it175-200, but I'd lean toward the it200 since it has a disc front brake.

Your question is really open ended too, so if you tell us more about what you want it for, I'm sure we can give you some more specifics.  Your size may make a difference also.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 03, 2006, 11:07:14 PM »
OH yea, and as per the honda xr400, one of my favorite bikes I've never owned too.  I wanna snag one that's already been street legalized, lower it a bit and supermoto it! 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »
I LOVE my Honda CRF230, You don't need a ton of power in the trails. They're like a modern XR200, with the advantages of electric starting and a standard size rear wheel. It's also gone everywhere the people on 250's and 450's we ride with go.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2006, 11:49:42 PM »
stay with the big name stuff, ktm, honda, yamaha, kawasaki... stay away form the $500 ebay/pepboy/kragens specials that say they are street legal and easily upgradeable but really arent..... try registering something without a real serial number, sure they have them, but they arent good enough for dmv.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 09, 2006, 07:38:43 AM »
Yamaha
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 09, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »
Honda never let me down.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Sibeta223

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2006, 08:15:41 AM »
Honda is the way to go. I actually had a 89 2 stroke water cooled cr 250 that was tight. Anything under a 250 is a childs bike.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 28, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »
Honda is the way to go. I actually had a 89 2 stroke water cooled cr 250 that was tight. Anything under a 250 is a childs bike.

I agree here. Although, I find the power of my CR500R to be a bit unnecessary and overwhelming at times!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2006, 11:41:54 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty ignorant statement!  Go tell that one to travis pastrana, the only rider to compete in the xgames on a 125, not to mention the fact that he's done incredibly well.  What size bike you need is mostly in your head, not your age, and moreover in your abilities. 
RIP KYOTA

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2006, 11:47:11 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty ignorant statement!  Go tell that one to travis pastrana, the only rider to compete in the xgames on a 125, not to mention the fact that he's done incredibly well.  What size bike you need is mostly in your head, not your age, and moreover in your abilities. 

I think what he meant was, if you are a larger fellow, there is some lag with the smaller bikes, but I dunno. I ride mostly large bikes and would not go back! Hehe, of course, you know how I am Kneedownnate....

Travis has done quite well! Impressive indeed. Although, you have a point, I don't know if the stunts and racing they do today is even possible on a half-litre two stroke!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2006, 04:03:28 PM »
I always ride honda's with no problems. If you are looking for reliability go with the new 4 strokes, they cost a little more but you don't have to rebuild the top end every year.
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2006, 10:21:35 PM »
Better yet, find some sucker who already paid way too much for one a year or two ago, grew tired of the bike and snag a great deal.  My friend sold a ducati 748, walked outa the honda dealer with a crf450 for the same price out the door, rode it twice then gave up on dirt bikes.  He sold it within the year for $4500!  Find one of those deals and you're set!  Moral of the story: don't buy a new bike in an attempt to impress the skanky daughter of the owner.....all you really need is a dime bag and a case!
RIP KYOTA