Author Topic: Bent Axle??  (Read 5794 times)

Last

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Bent Axle??
« on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:15:42 AM »
Hey boys and girls...

I am a toyotaholic... this is my third toy over the last 6 years... the first was a lifted 84, then came the 88 4runner (RIP) and now....

Two weeks ago I picked up an 1992 Pickup, SR5 V6.  160,000 miles.  It already has an IFS Rancho Lift (I assume 4 inches).  Although the 2 year plan is for the SAS. 

The tires that were on the truck were dead.  The right rear was super worn along the inside edge... but not knowing the full history I assumed it was a front tire rotated to the back and that I'd need an alignment (although the truck drives straight) ...  So I replaced the tires with some used  ones - however after 80 miles, I am seeing a similiar wearing.

It is more of an all around cupping with one area of the tire wearing a little harder and faster.  There is no perseavable play in the bearing.

I'm looking for any imput on how I can determine where the problem is.  I realize that it could be that the tire is bad... but seeing the same pattern on this second set is making me think othewise.  I realize it could be the shocks.  They feel OK, but they'd also be the cheapest and easiest part to replace.

Is there an easy way to tell if the axle is bent?  If the axel is bent, how concerned should I be that outer housing is jacked too?  Is it possible that the wheel took enough of a hit to bend the axle just enough to hurt the alignment?  Do I look for a replacement axle or do I just rebuild it with the marlin stuff?

Thanks for the bandwith and the help...

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Bent Axle??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2006, 03:51:30 AM »
 :welcome:

I assume the problem is in the front? I have never seen a rear tire wear like that without there being something seriously wrong that you could see.

If the front is where the problem is you could have a bad ball joint or a problem with the lift.

An alignment shop should be able to tell.

You should be able to see if the tire or wheel lean in at the top if it is that bad.

It could be as simple as the toe in.

:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »
Mark it's the rear axle, he's got a rancho ifs lift!  There's got to be something wrong with the rear axle.  I've seen guys overload their trucks and bend axles.  People who buy a 1/2 ton to do the work of a 1 ton!  I've also seen guys jump their rigs and do this!  Go find a good used axle!  And replace it! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2006, 11:41:23 AM »
I have bent a qouble bent rears. But usualy it shows at the bearing and the seal. (fails)

here is a pic of a 4runner with a bent axle after winching aout off a bad stuck

http://this.is/rotta/album.php?p=2&flk=94
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:36:51 PM »
the rear axle could have bent at the flange  or the housing bent  or both
jack that tire up and rotate the tire carefully watching to see if it has wobble,  if so  its the axle  if not its the housing,  check the housing with a straight edge
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Last [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2006, 03:51:28 PM »
Thanks for the input...

so Cheesey, when you say replace the axel, are we talking the the axle or THE AXLE??

I think on the 4th I'm going to tear down the rear wheel down to the flange and see if I see anything wrong there or with the seal or bearing... I'm hoping the bend is just slight enough to ruin the tire and can be fixed with a new axle.

How much of a bend can the outer housing take without the inner axle failing?  I would assume that if the outer housing was bent that it would impead the axel from spinning properly?  Basically, I just want to make sure that I don't rebuild a bad axle.

Anyways- Thanks again for the help.  Happy 4th!

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
the rear axle could have bent at the flange  or the housing bent  or both
jack that tire up and rotate the tire carefully watching to see if it has wobble,  if so  its the axle  if not its the housing,  check the housing with a straight edge

This happened to my truck, rear end came around on a slippery road and I slammed into a curb, D'oh!  The axle shaft bent, not the housing, causing the wheel to visibly wobble.  It vibrated at highway speeds and under braking, but I didn't leave it on long enough to notice a wear pattern, and I left it on for a week or 2 (couple hundred miles).  I don't think a wobble would cause the tire to wear heavy in just one spot, though, since the tire would be constantly changing it's toe angle.  To wear heavy in one spot the tire would have to have like a constant toe in or something.  I would guess the housing is bent.
Welders Hold the World Together!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2006, 09:57:39 AM »
Weldo and 79coyote have it pretty much nailed.  Look at the wear pattern on your tires.  If only bald on specific spots around the tire, axle shaft is toast!  If the wear is all the way around the tire, axle housing! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Last [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
Update
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2006, 11:20:06 AM »
Soooo.....

I decided to assume the worst and started looking for a donor axle.... found it on an 87 4runner with a blown head gasket.  I didn't want the whole truck so I talked the owner into letting me pull the rear axle assembly and switch it for mine to the tune of $175.  (I always prefer to practice on someone else's rig   ;) )

So I dropped the old one and there were some definate problems.  It looks like the right rear took a pretty heavy hit.  Hard enough to shift the axle rearward about a 1/4inch, bend and sheer the leaf spring guide pin, and bend the axle/leaf spring mounting plate.  The leaf springs were missaligned as a result.

The wheel bearing was TOAST and the seal was getting there too.  Couldn't tell if anything else was bent.

The new axle was prepped and I switched the differentials (v6 vs 4).  I found a custom leaf spring/suspension shop so I didn't have to wait to order new U-bolts, guide pins, spacers, or brackets.  I should be able to get everything put back together tonight.

More good news:  I talked with THE sales manager of the dealership I purchased the truck from.  I explained all the difficulties I've had with the truck (there have been other, less serious issues) and it appears that they will pay for my parts.  I'll believe it when I see it but....

Can anyone recommend a good durable paint that'll hold up to some abuse, weather, oil, etc.?

So there you have it.  Thanks again for the help.

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
Good news all around, man!  It's always good to finally spot the problem you have speculated about for awhile.  As far as paint, Rustoleum is pretty hard to beat.  Cheap and pretty durable.  POR 15 or Chassis Saver are even better coatings, but much more expensive.  Chassis Saver is made by a company called "Magnet Paints".
Welders Hold the World Together!